View Single Post
Old 09-03-2010, 08:55 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by myshow View Post
It does make sense to forget the nofollow, dofollow questions, and concentrate purely on marketing your website. If you are found to be an authority in your niche, people are definitely going to be intersted in following you.
This is where I think a lot of people who are new to link building, marketing or even websites find the information they read so daunting. They are told they need to be an authority or create this great content, but they aren't told that in order for them to be considered authoritative they need to be recognised. In order to get recognised they need a strategy that puts their website in front of people's eyeballs (in addition to their website basically being the best in it's field for information).

People use the "authority" buzzword far too often, and I find it extremely irresponsible, because 99% of sites in their niche will never ever be considered an authority. You don't just gain this status, it is extremely difficult to be considered an authority.

It's a similar idea to people throwing around the word "quality" when it comes to directory listings and links. Almost no one knows what is considered quality when it comes to directories. For every person that understands the phrase I could point out 100 or even 1000 directory owners that don't understand it but use it on a daily basis to describe their "resource".

You don't get to call your site "quality", the same as you don't get to call it "authoritative". It gets judged by the internet populous, and they will decide whether it is quality or authoritative by giving it a link (their vote). Get enough links, from people that matter, and you'll gain those sought after acknowledgements.

We've all heard the content is king mantra a million times, and it is king, but if the king has no court (audience) then no matter how wise his counsel is, if only his jester hears it will it ever be considered authoritative?

It used to be that dropping links in the right places (well read blogs and forums) was enough. But the web is used differently in this day and age, so in order to market effectively a range of tactics needs to be employed, including passive link building and active social link networking...

I read a brilliant post yesterday regarding the subtle lies bloggers are told. One of the most prevalent points made in that post, is that it really doesn't matter how great your content is, if your design is lousy. So branding is extremely important when creating content, and seeking links. People will link to well designed sites that offer good information. However, if a site is designed badly, they might not even stick around to read what's been written. That's a fact, and one that shouldn't be ignored.

NB: I realise that I haven't included any link building information here, but what I want people to understand is that simply writing great content isn't enough. You need to be able to get that message out there, and that means marketing. So the "build great content and people will link to you" theory really needs to be put to bed. As Pushing Social says you need to give people "an experience" for them to link to you. That involves tying together great content with a brand, and then putting that "experience" in front of as many eyes as you can.