View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Friday, July 1, 2011 - How Google's Panda Update Changed SEO

An excellent video by Rand Fishkin on the impact of Google's Panda Updates (How Google's Panda Update Changed SEO Best Practices Forever)has been transcribed so if you prefer to read than watch a video, you can take advantage of the analysis.

Whats the bottom line?

Sites need to be user friendly and high quality. No, these are not new ideas, Fishkin says, but until recently, user friendliness didnt impact SEO. In the wake of Panda, it would seem that game has changed. Content still rocks the SERPs world, but more than ever, its about quality and whether your content inspires not just links but Tweets.

Quality must be present throughout the site, Fishkin. And high quality, at that.

Quote:
....Google has actually said publicly that even if you have a great site, if you have a bunch of pages that are low quality on that site, they can drag down the rankings of the rest of the site. So you should try and block those for us or take them down. Wow. Crazy, right? That's what a machine learning algorithm, like Panda, will do. It will predicatively say, "Hey, you know what? We're seeing these features here, these elements, push this guy down."
Is your content good? Unique? Useful? Yes? Well, bully for you, so is the next guys.

Quote:
If you say, "Oh, I have 50,000 pages about 50,000 different motorcycle parts and I am just going to go to Mechanical Turk or I am going to go outsource, and I want a 100 word, two paragraphs about each one of them, just describe what this part is." You think to yourself, "Hey, I have good unique content." No, you have content that is going to be penalized by Panda. That is exactly what Panda is designed to do. It is designed to say this is content that someone wrote for SEO purposes just to have good unique content on the page, not content that makes everyone who sees it want to share it and say wow. Right?
So what does work?

Quote:
If I get to a page about a motorcycle part and I am like, "God, not only is this well written, it's kind of funny. It's humorous. It includes some anecdotes. It's got some history of this part. It has great photos. Man, I don't care at all about motorcycle parts, and yet, this is just a darn good page. What a great page. If I were interested, I'd be tweeting about this, I'd share it. I'd send it to my uncle who buys motorcycles. I would love this page." That's what you have to optimize for. It is a totally different thing than optimizing for did I use the keyword at least three times? Did I put it in the title tag? Is it included in there? Is the rest of the content relevant to the keywords? Panda changes this. Changes it quite a bit.
Bottom line: link and Tweet bait is more important than ever.

Read the rest of the post or watch the video: http://www.seomoz.org/blog/how-googl...teboard-friday.