View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 09:05 AM
v7n Mentor

SEO Tip of the Day: Monday, July 11, 2011 - Learn Something New Every Day

Learn Something New Every Day

Thatís the title of this SEO tip of the day thread, and itís my SEO tip for today.

When I started out in this business in the late 90s, I designed and optimized websites using the simplest of HTML code. As sites became more sophisticated, I had to make a choice: search engine optimization or design. Learn PHP and CSS or stick with SEO? I chose the left brain joy of keeping up to date with search marketing, and left the right brain satisfaction to graphic and web designers. When a client needed a new site, I planned and designed the site from a content, navigation and SEO marketing point of view, but I outsourced the graphics and design implementation.

My own site languished in an embarrassing heap outmoded tables and outdated graphics. It didnít matter too much since I was more than busy enough; only my ego suffered. About a year ago, a few months after I started this thread, I decided I wanted to add a blog to my site and start a tip thread of my own. I wanted Thesis for my wordpress theme, but I had gotten so far from design that I was intimidated by hooks, and felt I had to find the right designer to update my site and add a blog at the same time.

Yesterday I woke up and soon found myself inspired by Google+. I felt compelled to write about it, and I didnít want to post it in the forum. If only I had a blog, I said to myself. It was Sunday, I had nothing else to do, so I decided to try installing a blog and adding Thesis as the theme. I still don't understand anything about the hooks, and the blog is a work in progress, but the entire process was much easier than I ever imagined. You can see the result in the link just under my avatar on the left. (If you stop by, please do leave a comment and let me know what you think.)

The most amazing result, though, is that I woke up this morning reinvigorated with a desire to learn. I had made a commitment to the V7N Summer Long Blog Challenge http://blog.v7n.com/2011/06/02/blogg...ong-challenge/: 4 posts a week, but I will learn something new about my blog settings or SEO every day that I don't post.

Today I am going to reread the ultimate SEO checklist for bloggers I wrote about last week. Funny how my own tip is coming in pretty handy!

So, find something new to learn about today Ė SEO related, of course. It might be exploring Google+, or learning how to use a social media platform for Twitter and Facebook, such as Social Sprout. Or you might just go to the beginning of this thread and start reading the tips Ė we have rarely repeated ourselves, so you will find more than a yearís worth of daily tips that can open your eyes to new ways of promoting your site in the search engines.

May you find the excitement I feel and the desire to learn something new today and every day!