View Single Post
Old 07-21-2011, 01:50 PM
v7n Mentor

SEO Tip of the Day: Thursday, July 21, 2011 - Sidebar SEO For Bloggers

As some of you know, I have recently added a blog to my old static website, and I have also just hopped on the V7N Summer Long Blog Challenge, so it will come as no surprise that today’s tip is on SEO for blogs.

My sidebar has my attention today.
  1. I’m going to follow Yoast’s advice on sidebars and rather than have a blogroll to link out to friends and other blogs I like, I will create a Page for that. Another alternative would be to have it on the blog's home page only. Yoast writes:

Quote:
    Google and other search engines these days heavily discount site wide links, so you're not really doing your friends any more favor by giving them that site wide link, nor are you helping yourself: you're allowing your visitors to get out of your site everywhere, when you actually want them to browse around a bit.
  2. I also plan to remove the category navigation in my sidebar also. Chris Pearson, creator of the SEO-friendliest wordpress theme, Thesis, doesn’t think my category list should be there. Category pages, he says, are page bloat (like chronological archives) and that’s not SEO friendly at all. In What Every Blogger Needs To Know About Categories, Pearson writes:

Quote:
    As far as blogs are concerned, categories are the single biggest contributor to both page bloat and link dilution, two of the most abominable SEO sins. Ironically, when used properly, these same categories hold the key to efficient, automated site optimization and content management…
    The difference, of course, is all in how you use them. Armed with a bit of knowledge and a few lines of code, you’ll be able to use categories to:
    • display content however you like, wherever you like
    • link directly to interior pages—not to interstitial “bloat” pages like monthly archives or category archives
    • provide your users with a smarter, more intuitive way to browse content that may be of interest to them
    That last point is important: usability is increasingly an SEO issue as Google seeks to discern user behavior for ranking signals (more on that tomorrow).

Read the instructions and get the code to take control over how your categories are displayed in your sidebar: http://www.pearsonified.com/2008/02/...categories.php.

And please do join our blog challenge. If you've read this far, you probably have a blog and we want you to join us. You will get more readers for your blog, as well as more motivation to post!

Last edited by mjtaylor; 07-21-2011 at 03:47 PM. Reason: correcting link