View Single Post
Old 07-24-2011, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

SEO Tip of the Day: Sunday, July 24, 2011 - Do Sweat the Small Stuff

I don't know if anyone follows the YOUmoz blog but here is a blog post from the 22nd of this month to read.

Quote:
The book Don't Sweat the Small Stuff was a smash hit when published as it appealed to peoples sensibilities with its premise that life was too short to worry about the unimportant items. I must admit I purchased a copy and the short pithy one page stories appealed to me. People like quick digestible fixes. Attention spans are down the toilet these days as people Tweet, Facebook and send SMS to communicate with each other. Look at your email inbox and you will see that most messages are just 2-3 lines. My email inbox 5-6 years ago was full of much longer emails than it is today. People spent more time writing and composing email to get a better message across then. How many times have you had a long drawn out email discussion purely because the initial email didn't have all the facts which eventually came out through probing and multiple iterations? A lot I bet.

Unfortunately the same approach applies for SEO. Clients look for the quick fast fix. They think that some with some backlinks, a few extra pages and they can just wait for the great keyword ranking to appear. However this cannot be applied to on page optimization. Too many people look beyond the small stuff for their site when seeking that precious ranking on Google or other search engines. When I tell clients that they should write good content, focus on their title tags and work the simple basic stuff such as alt tags for images their eyes glaze over in most cases as they think that there is a one big hammer that can be used to grant them instant ranking for competitive keywords. They are not prepared to sweat the small stuff! Here are some examples of the small stuff that I tell people to focus on....
Continued at: http://www.seomoz.org/ugc/do-sweat-the-small-stuff