Thread: CMS Updates...
View Single Post
Share |
Old 12-12-2008, 08:13 AM
v7n Mentor

CMS Updates...

So! Anyone else getting sick of these?

When I started working with CMS's and other open source webware a few years ago, updates were few and far between. Perhaps one or two updates per year would come along.

These days it seems like every time I log into a site's backend there's a banner informing me of new updates.

I spent most of the day yesterday back tracking through all the sites I've done to find most were several versions behind. (I last looked at these about 6 months ago)

With coffee brewed and munchies on standby I managed to upgrade all of them.
  • WordPress isn't a problem thanks to WPAU (WordPress Automatic Update) plugin.
  • SMF has also made their upgrades fairly pain free.
  • Joomla isn't *too* bad but I found some preparation and fingernail chewing was in order to accomplish the task.
  • Mambo is a total nightmare to upgrade. I am yet to perform a Mambo update without several hours of hair pulling. Something always barfs during the process. Thankfully they seem to be the slowest to provide updates and I only have 2 sites left running Mambo. (I've converted most of these to Joomla at this point)

On the plus side, I was able to invoice several clients for the upgrades.

I only work with the above packages these days so I don't follow the other CMS's too closely. Are Drupal and others just as frequent? Do any of those provide an automated upgrade feature?

Updates: Required, yes! Becoming a frequent pain... definitely!