Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum > AdSense

AdSense Offers tips and discussions about Google AdSense.

Share |
Old 01-17-2014, 06:17 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Google To Roll-Out In-Ad Surveys After Users Mute Display Ads

Change coming again.

Quote:
Following up on the release of its 2013 Bad Ads report, Google announced today that it will soon be rolling out in-ad surveys that will appear after users opt to “mute” a Google display ad. The company says it will use the data to learn more about why people mute ads (users have used the button to mute millions of ads so far), improve ad targeting, and identify bad publishers and advertisers.

Users can mute an ad by clicking the small [X] icon that appears next to the AdChoices arrow in the top right corner of display ads served by Google
Continued at: http://marketingland.com/google-to-r...play-ads-70976

Thoughts on this anyone?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-17-2014, 07:16 PM

The reasons for muting the ads that they show on the "surveys" don't have anything to do with sound - they only list stuff like "I don't like the content" or "I've seen this ad too many times" but nothing about "I don't like my browser making noise when I didn't tell it to!". This tells me that they don't want to know that we hate noisy ads.

I remember when I thought Google was cool and smart. Now, not so much...

Old 01-17-2014, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

I agree with you. One minute I am on a website reading and all of a sudden I hear sounds. Thought it was my t.v. in the background at first. lol

I do like reporting ad's though. At least I know I am doing my part even if it doesn't really do anything.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:25 PM

The surveys are just as annoying as the ads. I haven't experienced many audio ads as of yet, but that isn't what bothers me. It's tossing a box between me and the content that I'm in the middle of reading, literally. It wouldn't be so bad if the ad popped up before I began reading, but...Anyhow, off topic. I hope that google learns quick that this kind of ad is highly distracting, and that adding a survey after closing the ad only adds insult to injury.

Old 01-18-2014, 09:14 AM

Microsoft recently hired a research team to study "annoying ads" not too long ago - I don't remember much being said about sound, I think it focused more on ads that had a lot of movement or flashing ...

Anyway, Microsoft concluded that people would actually quit visiting a website that served up annoying ads, in effect blaming the website instead of blaming the company creating the ads.

From the study :
Quote:
Annoying ads are a source of tension for publishers since they both make money, through payments from advertisers, and cost money, through a decrease in page views due to users abandoning the site.
http://www.dangoldstein.com/papers/g...noying_ads.pdf

Google (and advertisers) would be smart to take note. I am not holding my breath.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Google Forum > AdSense