Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue > Affiliate Marketing Forum

Affiliate Marketing Forum Discussions concerning affiliate programs, affiliate marketing tips and techniques, and ways to increase earnings through referral programs. This forum is NOT for promoting your own affiliate program or referral link.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 12-13-2009, 12:12 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Is Affiliate Marketing Legal?

When someone begins internet marketing, their first question may be along the lines of 'is affiliate marketing legal?' Very fair point, and, and this is something that everyone seems to be asking. Because a lot of affiliate/internet marketing seems often too good to be true, then, it's a very fair question to ask. The fact is, like everything there is a degree of illegal activity which goes on in the world of internet marketing. Is affiliate marketing legal will often result in practices which are honest, and not honest.

If you are going to be promoting a product via blogs, articles and other legit methods of sticking your products in the faces of others, then you're going to be totally OK. However, if you begin spamming, adding hidden charges to people, then you are going to be breaking the law.

If you are going to use email marketing, then make sure that you always ask permission before you send emails, and always provide an unsubscribe link at the bottom of your emails. Thankfully, this isn't hard to do with automatic services like Aweber. And if someone asks you to stop, then stop! Continuing to send emails turns you into a spammer, this this is where the affiliate marketing legal people will pounce down on you for violating spamming laws.

The thing is, internet marketing is actually very legal, and many people are very happy that it exists. For example, if affiliate marketing was make illegal, then Google would go bust overnight. Fortune 500 companies would fall down, and the world would stop turning. You see, affiliates are everywhere, and the affiliate marketing legal team won't pull down the practice any time soon.

Is affiliate marketing legal? Well, it is. As with everything, there are black hat and white hat ways to do it all, and the black ones are frowned upon. A black hat method may involve link spamming, dominating search engine results. The affiliate marketing legal people won't consider it breaking the law, but Google and the others will hate you for messing up their results, and blacklist you. Black hat methods are for those who live by the 'live fast' rule. Earn a lot of money very quickly, and disappear very quickly.

It is a far better use of your time to employ white hat methods such as content marketing, natural search engine optimization techniques like backlinking, in other words building a business over time. This method is more likely to be better for you too, since you'll earn more over time, instead of make a buck quick as possible.

Is affiliate marketing legal? Well, as far as I can tell, it is. Many affiliate I know have never had trouble with the law, and once you've done your research, you'll know what the law expects and how to stay within it's boundaries. Oh, and my advice to you is to stick to white hat methods. They'll be far better for you and your income in the long run.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Is-Affilia...al?&id=3376053

Old 12-13-2009, 09:29 AM
Contributing Member

I can't find any reason for which 'affiliate marketing' may be termed as illegal. If few people practice illicit methods that can't make whole 'affiliate marketing' illegal. Bad people are present everywhere in our society.

Old 12-13-2009, 10:11 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by enam View Post
I can't find any reason for which 'affiliate marketing' may be termed as illegal. If few people practice illicit methods that can't make whole 'affiliate marketing' illegal. Bad people are present everywhere in our society.
This is not actually my personal opinion. But, it is an article that I found interesting and think can spark some good discussion.

Old 01-06-2010, 06:22 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I've never heard anyone suggesting that affiliate marketing is illegal - at least, not here in the UK.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:16 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfferUK View Post
I've never heard anyone suggesting that affiliate marketing is illegal - at least, not here in the UK.
This article just depends on how you look at it

Old 01-29-2010, 07:04 PM
Banned

Yes, it's legal . I admired the comment by CyberWizard. I think we all want our efforts to have legs and staying power. You don't do that with affiliate marketing, unless you are willing to research and promote a new campaign a week. Most of us want to have fun and develop a long term source of income that will allow us to do enjoy what we do. You build that business the old fashioned way, with time consuming article writing, back link building, developing a following and staying with the campaigns we pick over a long period of time. Many newcomers want that but don't have the resources to keep after it for a year or more. More and more, we're seeing a hybrid approach, that uses affiliate marketing through ClickBank, Commission Junction and other reputable brokers, to jump start earning. At the same time, they are building sites that will pay off over the long run. That type of commitment takes 10 hour days, six and seven days a week to work. It's not for the faint of heart, but will keep the wolf away from the door until you make a steady income. It's quite a bit harder, because you have to master several disciplines. Affiliate marketing is a science of it's own. PPC is another science. It's difficult to master them simultaneously, but it can be done. I know, because I'm forced into that route myself. Some days I'm dragging so much I can't see the screen, but I want to make it in the worst way...so I stay in forums like this at 10 PM at night to learn from the masters. To get back to your question...It ain't easy, pardner, but it's legal if you stay with reputable middlemen like CJ or ClickBank.

Old 01-31-2010, 11:30 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Affiliate marketing is always legal in nature.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:32 PM

Yes affiliate marketing is legal your are just advertising.... They have beer and alcohol ads on the freeway yet they dont want u to drink and drive... go figure

Old 02-03-2010, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator

Affiliate marketing is legal but disclosure may be required.

I posted a link to an article all users of affiliate links should read. The link is in this post: http://www.v7n.com/forums/legal-issu...r-website.html

Old 02-03-2010, 12:56 PM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

Its legal but you have to be careful on what you do.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:02 PM
Contributing Member

well think about affiliate marketing in real world e.g. Insuranse sales, property sales
or other companies that employ a business model that only pays someone when they get a sales.

Affiliate marketing is just like that. It is definitely NOT illegal. Illegal is what people use deceive or scamming technique in order to get the sales.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:51 AM

Affiliate marketing is completely legal and there is no such question of it being illegal.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue > Affiliate Marketing Forum