Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue > Affiliate Marketing Forum

Affiliate Marketing Forum Discussions concerning affiliate programs, affiliate marketing tips and techniques, and ways to increase earnings through referral programs. This forum is NOT for promoting your own affiliate program or referral link.

Share |
Old 04-03-2012, 01:15 AM

A little advice for a beginner

Hey guys,

I'm just starting out getting attempting to get into affiliate marketing. Would you have any advice for a novice on what to watch out for and the biggest pitfalls that you experience?

I know that there is no easy way to do it but a little experienced info would help.

Thanks

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-11-2012, 11:37 AM
Contributing Member

Decide where your strong point is as far as knowledge and run with it. The hosting industry offers really nice payouts on their affiliate programs so that may be a niche you would want to explore. Also consider having a look at some of the affiliate networks where many different programs for some of the better programs are offered.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:46 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveVanq View Post
Hey guys,

I'm just starting out getting attempting to get into affiliate marketing. Would you have any advice for a novice on what to watch out for and the biggest pitfalls that you experience?

I know that there is no easy way to do it but a little experienced info would help.

Thanks
Don't jump on offers that sound like they are to good to be true. Chances are they are crappy products that would only lead to refunds and you missing out on the money you just earned.

Before you join a affiliate program, use Google to search for reviews and more information about the product. Try to figure out between the negative and positive reviews whether or not you want to take the chance and promote it for awhile.

I only promote something that i would actually want to buy or already bought myself. That's how i think.

I agree with the previous poster about web hosting offer's. If you own a domain and of course have a hosting account, see if your web host has a affiliate program that you could join. If you very happy with your webhost, you should be able to write up a few reviews about them to promote the web host. I do this on my blog.

I'm on my way out the door right now but I hope more people respond with some good tips for you.

Old 04-12-2012, 07:18 AM

Many people will tell you to avoid shiny objects, stick to one method (ie focus) until it works before moving on to the next. I'll tell you that it's easier said than done. You will be overwhelmed with info overload, you will be confuse because of the many conflicting opinions and methods . That is NORMAL and it is part of the learning process so do not be too hard on yourself nor set unrealistic expectation. There is no quick fix method. You have to learn the ropes along the way as in any other business.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:41 AM

guys, if you were to start fresh now, what would you choose mobile marketing or "fixed internet" marketing. Since there will be that learning curve that you speak about I was considering learning mobile in order to be with the next big thing, as they say.

Old 04-21-2012, 11:56 AM

Myself, i would pick mobile marketing. People tend to search the internet a lot on there smartphones. The smartphones technology keeps getting better and better so the money could be in this industry. These apps developers make a ton of money creating apps.

Heck, if you got a good idea for a App and some cash to hire a good developer, you could make a ton of money with creating apps or create some sort of website about apps...etc

Like you said, if you can predict what the next big thing is going to be, jump on it early so you can work out the bugs in your marketing early and be ahead of new marketers who jump on ship a little late.

On clickbank, a new product may do great and make affiliates a ton of money but if someone was to try to promote that same site 6 months later, he or she won't cash in that good because it'll be harder to rank well for those keywords to get the converts. Getting in early is where the big payoffs are and i wish i can get my timing right. lol

Old 04-22-2012, 07:13 PM
Contributing Member

If your just starting out, pick a niche that you are interested in. Find good keywords to go for, and find a product you can sell. You can find tons of affiliate programs at cj.com and shareasale.com, or you can sign up for amazon associates and sell any of their products.

Focus on your goal and don't get caught up trying to do too many things at once.
I don't know if you know anything about internet marketing in general, but content is king.
You need to have good content that brings people to your site, and a relevant affiliate program you can review or somehow promote in articles. If it's a topic you are interested in, then it will be much easier for you to stay motivated and keep working hard.

Good luck.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:22 AM
Contributing Member

After read these answers i learn a lot of things about it that how a beginner should start his business and which things he should keep in mind to make it successful.

Old 05-17-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamazseo1 View Post
i thing you are starting began
Could you explain further. Little hard to make out what you are trying to suggest to the thread creator.

Thanks

Old 05-18-2012, 06:19 AM
Contributing Member

Some tips:

-As long as the products you promote relate to the search terms visitors use to get to your website you will be fine.

-It is slow at first, do not get discouraged by click through rates, they are always low 0.25-2%.

-Never focus too much on adverts, your website provides help to people, do not shove adverts down their throats in exchange.

-Use rel="nofollow" on all of your affiliate links, they are paying you to sell their products, not back links.

-Read the terms and conditions of an affiliate program before signing up.

-Most of the time it is common sense, jump in and get a feel for the industry, you'll find it is not a difficult industry to understand.

Old 05-27-2012, 11:07 AM
Contributing Member

Join different affiliate networks and look through their affiliate prograsms. You will more than likely find the affiliate programs that you are looking for. Decide on what you would like to promote. It can be a little overwhelming sometimes because there are a lot of affiliate programs but once you find out what you want it gets easier to sift through.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:12 AM

I am starting out myself with affiliate marketing, and I have a few things to suggest that might be helpful to you. Digital products such as ebooks are not the only items you can promote i recommend signing up with amazon and promoting physical products because many people are starting to buy online vs. retail stores. Find a niche you will enjoy or have knowledge about it will keep you interested in working on your site. Learn as much as you can and PLAN before you do anything.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:39 AM

Mobile marketing is the next big thing. I'm not talking with solid statistics here but I'm sure that most of the world population nowadays owns a smartphone or a tablet or something of the sort. Technology is all about facility, and facility is being portable. People live off their portable devices, so if I were starting out in the marketing biz all over again, I'd start with mobile marketing without a doubt!

Good luck!

Old 08-15-2012, 11:59 AM

affiliate marketing isn't a one-size-fits-all. Just cause joe schmoe makes money with Company X doesn't mean you will. Find affiliate programs that fit into your niche and you'll be much more successful.

Old 08-15-2012, 12:08 PM

CPL Offers

I would recommend you don't start with products, unless your are really interested in a subject.

You should start with cpl offers where you get paid per lead not per sale.

And check the program terms especially with gambling offers

Old 08-15-2012, 06:15 PM
Banned

The hardest skill to learn with affiliate marketing in my opinion is being able to communicate with the buyer. Most of your failed sales will be because you didn't provide exactly what the person was looking for. It's a tough balance between keeping the transaction smooth and also making the buyer comfortable.

Choose products and services to promote that you, yourself, would actually purchase and that will make it a lot easier. For instance, Amazon.com is a great affiliate program because you can promote a variety of legitimate products and services and people trust their brand.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:34 PM

hey,i have been an affiliater about 5 years.i think these suggest could help you.
first you must build an own website.popular is best.such as beauty,edu,auto and finance.
if you have some spare money.you can promote your website on some Large public platform.

then you can choose those have good reputation company and sign up.(You'd better apply for a few).

next,initial stage you'd better try to the lead type offer.these offers are very simple for your website visitors.if you want to promote sale type offer.you must familiar with their
products and understand target population.

finally perserve.keep going.Believe in yourself.

Old 08-27-2012, 02:16 AM
Contributing Member

really helpful contents ..now have learn a lot of things .. can u help me how a beginner start their sales through internet/mobile....if he have a website but the website is not working on mobile search...

Old 08-27-2012, 02:48 AM

Try and build up a good rapport with your AM. Time invested in doing this worth it's weight in gold and shows them that you're serious about building and maintaining relationships.

They'll give you a good insight into what offers and methods are converting well.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:58 PM

I want to say thank you to nathan.joshua... well everyone gave good advice, but nathan broke into tiny pieces for my simple brain! I too have been trying to figure this out and there is definitely good advice in this thread. thanks

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue > Affiliate Marketing Forum