Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue > Affiliate Marketing Forum

Affiliate Marketing Forum Discussions concerning affiliate programs, affiliate marketing tips and techniques, and ways to increase earnings through referral programs. This forum is NOT for promoting your own affiliate program or referral link.

Share |
Old 06-21-2008, 10:54 PM
Contributing Member

What is better, to join affiliate networks or direct affiliate programs

Many companies run affiliate programs on affiliate networks like CJ, shareasale, CLickBank, and also run them independently on their own. Should we join them directly or through the affiliate networks.

Joining directly may sometimes give your better commissions because the cut taken by the affiliate network is not there. On the other hand, the affilliate networks are more trustworthy because they are independent third party.

What is your take?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-22-2008, 07:50 AM

There are pros and cons for both. The large affiliate networks allow you to easily track and promote many different products and companies. Independent affiliate networks may pay a slightly higher commission, but it takes more time to track and maintain the links.

There is a trust issue with independent programs initially, because you don't know if you will get paid on time or at all. After you get paid the first time, you should be fine, but it may take awhile to get up to the payment threshold.

It's really what program fits your site content the best. Many niche sites may not have any good affiliate programs offered on the major networks, so independent programs are your only choice.

Old 06-26-2008, 02:25 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by webrehash View Post
There are pros and cons for both. The large affiliate networks allow you to easily track and promote many different products and companies. Independent affiliate networks may pay a slightly higher commission, but it takes more time to track and maintain the links.

There is a trust issue with independent programs initially, because you don't know if you will get paid on time or at all. After you get paid the first time, you should be fine, but it may take awhile to get up to the payment threshold.

It's really what program fits your site content the best. Many niche sites may not have any good affiliate programs offered on the major networks, so independent programs are your only choice.
I agree with your statement, their are both pro's and con's to both, but in my opinion I would go with the large affiliate networks.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:09 AM
Contributing Member

You can get this one. It's free and international..

Pay per $3 per sign up.
24 hrs approved.
$20 sign up bonus.
Paid weekly by paypal.
International.
No Credit Card required.
Many (hundreds) offers inside and you don't
have to apply for them anymore.

<junk removed>

Last edited by cldnails; 06-27-2008 at 02:45 PM.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:49 AM

I've had success with both. But I am hesitant to sign up with individual programs at this point as I've been burned a bit in the past. I'll stick with the ones I've already joined up with and am making money with (of course) but won't be signing up with any new ones. The thing is - there's already so many great publishers/products to promote in networks like CJ & Clickbank, I don't see any reason to seek out individual programs. Seems like a waste of time dealing with it.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:25 AM
Contributing Member

Try both, trial and error will give you the right solution.

- Swapw

Old 07-17-2008, 06:35 PM
Contributing Member

It REALLY depends on what you're promoting, and what the payout on it is.

If it's just something simple that ties in nicely as a way to help pay the bills on a site you run for fun, or even just a product you're actually enthusiastic about, I generally recommend going with the direct program. I've ran a site that had an affiliation with Play-Asia. I'd ask them for free stuff to review and link to... and sometimes they'd actually send it to me if I was the first or second to ask.

If you're just doing it to make big bucks, then definitely go with the networks.
It's much easier to track your campaigns with them.

Old 08-04-2008, 01:18 AM
Contributing Member

The best one for me in in my signature, you can follow me

Old 08-04-2008, 01:20 AM

It depends. I will usually go for affiliate networks though.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:46 AM
Contributing Member

Both work fine for me. If you notice you aren't making any money with a private affiliate program just move on to another and test run it. The private ones often have much more perks too other than a higher commission.

Old 09-06-2008, 11:32 AM
v7n Mentor

Honestly, go with networks, and here's why:

If you are running a couple affiliate programs and you log into each one each day (independent programs) you can quite easily be discouraged.... thinking "Man, I log in everyday and NOTHING converts!"

But, if you went with a network and ran those same programs (plus potentially more), even if they didn't convert, all your stats in one place would make you feel less discouraged (IMO) and give you more time to improve.

But hey, sometimes you don't have the choice... sometimes the programs you want to run are only being offered in house. Other times, a program may be exclusive to a network.

Hope that helps!

Old 08-20-2009, 02:59 AM

yeah, i agree the niche matters. If in-house affiliate program has good reputation in market, you can surely go for them directly. else, affiliate networks are best option to choose.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:19 PM
Contributing Member

From my personal experience...

Direct Affiliate Programs pay more but there is a larger chance of scam.
Affiliate Networks pay less but there is a less chance of scam.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:26 AM
Contributing Member

While I agree sometimes in-house programs pay better, but are riskier - there is another HUGE benefit to working via networks.

TIME & CONVENIENCE - You can log into one place, work with reports you are used to, check all your affiliate programs in one place, grab banners from different programs, etc.

With indys, you have to log into and learn each interface and it's harder and takes more time when each program may use different tracking programs.

Also with networks you get consolidated payments.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Marketing Forums > Webmaster Revenue > Affiliate Marketing Forum