Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum > Blog Promotion

Blog Promotion Discuss how to promote blogs here.

Share |
Old 01-25-2011, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

5 Fast Tips to Improve Internal Links

Just found a good blog post on the problogger blog. Check it out while drinking a cup of coffee.

Quote:
Playing to your strengths is an important part of SEO, and before going out and spending all day endlessly pursuing external links, it is important to look at your own site.

You control what is displayed on your site and the SEO tips below provide a number of ways to increase your rank strength and improve your blog’s internal link architecture.
Continued at: http://www.problogger.net/archives/2...nternal-links/

Any thoughts on this blog post? Do you got anymore tips to share of want to go into depth on what was mentioned?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-25-2011, 08:34 AM

Snakeair, I am not real impressed with the post. Use absolute URLs? Does the author really think that Google can't figure out where the page is located if you use relative links? Also was wondering what page speed has to do with internal linking...

hmmm, problogger.com normally puts out better quality than this.

Old 01-25-2011, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

I don't know if Darren actually approves these guest blog posts or not before they go live. Right now i'm about to read the older post about facebook application. I use mine on my phone a lot when i am not home. lol

Old 01-25-2011, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bestler View Post
Snakeair, I am not real impressed with the post. Use absolute URLs? Does the author really think that Google can't figure out where the page is located if you use relative links? Also was wondering what page speed has to do with internal linking...

hmmm, problogger.com normally puts out better quality than this.
The author didn't explain why very well.
Quote:
Make your internal links absolute links.
Absolute links are the exact path to the page on the web server. e.g.http://www.yourdomainname.com/services.htm is the absolute link to your services page. If you are using a WYSWYG or online editor when creating your internal links, it will just put the relative path in the hyperlink. e.g. <a href="services.htm">Services</a> This is a carry over from developing your site offline and testing your internal links offline. Good for offline testing but bad for search engine optimization.

Just like described above for your home page, the more links that look exactly the same pointing to the page, the better. When someone links to one of your individual pages or articles, they are going to link with the absolute link. You should too!
Internal Link Building Strategy

Regarding web page speed:
Quote:
The speed at which your web page(s) load has always played a part in the success of a website or blog. If your website or blog loads slowly, the visitor will just leave. Web surfing people are very impatient. It doesn’t matter how they are accessing your site, if it’s slow you are not going to make that sale, have a reader added to your blog, have the visitor spread the word for you by word of mouth or get bookmarked on any of the social networking sites.

Now, because Google announced that web page download speed plays a part in your positioning in the search results everyone is on the band wagon to improve the download speed of websites and blogs. Don’t figure. It takes Google to watch something for people to pay attention they should have been doing in the first place.
Quote:
You may have heard that here at Google we’re obsessed with speed, in our products and on the web. As part of that effort, today we’re including a new signal in our search ranking algorithms: site speed. Site speed reflects how quickly a website responds to web requests.

Speeding up websites is important — not just to site owners, but to all Internet users. Faster sites create happy users and we’ve seen in our internal studies that when a site responds slowly, visitors spend less time there. But faster sites don’t just improve user experience; recent data shows that improving site speed also reduces operating costs. Like us, our users place a lot of value in speed — that’s why we’ve decided to take site speed into account in our search rankings. We use a variety of sources to determine the speed of a site relative to other sites.

Using site speed in web search ranking – Official Google Webmaster Central Blog Friday, April 09, 2010
Test Web Page Download Speed

Old 03-23-2011, 09:17 AM
Contributing Member

What is meant with absolute urls? Thanks

Old 03-23-2011, 09:43 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by reborn View Post
What is meant with absolute urls? Thanks
An absolute link includes the domain name. e.g.
Code:
http://www.yourdomainname.com/file-name.htm

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum > Blog Promotion