Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum

Blogging Forum Discuss general blogging issues here - design, integration, posting, trackbacks, ETC. Also discuss blogs you like.

Share |
Old 02-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Administrator

This Is How Long Your Posts Should Be

A while ago there was an active thread here where someone asked how long should your blog posts be. Well, the author of this article has done some analysis and shared his findings:

Quote:
When I analysed the most tweeted blog posts ever, I found that Twitter users like posts that are around 1,100 words long. When I wrote the most important blogging analysis ever, I found that the average length of popular posts was 1,600 words. This was quite surprising to a lot of readers and is a figure far higher than most people are producing.

In the comments for one of these posts, someone gave me the idea of analysing different industries to see the average post length in each, so they could gauge how long their articles should be. Iím not a blogger who will guess numbers and just throw stats out there, so I decided to do an in-depth analysis. I picked 3 posts from 5 blogs in 8 different niches (confused yet?) and noted the word count for each.

I tried to pick some of the biggest sites in each niche as itís pointless using unsuccessful blogs as your guide. For two of the niches I didnít know the top sites personally, so I relied on Technorati and The New York Times for recommendations....
Continued: Bloggers: This Is How Long Your Posts Should Be

Interesting on how which industry you are in determines what he found the ideal post length should be.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-01-2010, 10:16 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by htmlbasictutor View Post

Interesting on how which industry you are in determines what he found the ideal post length should be.
My opinion, a lot of it has to do with attention span of the targeted readers, and level of education. Would your blog target people that are high school drop outs, or college educated? The better a person can read, they more likely they are to read.

Look at the chart on the page you linked to, marketing, finance, and personal development ranked as having the most words. Its unlikely that someone that dropped out of school in junior high is going to be interested in those topics.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Contributing Member

Your posts are always jam packed with awesome information. I have been thinking of writing a blog for our jewelry, but we started it before and it fell to the wayside. These are the types posts I need, as jewelry's most similar category would be gadgets, so I can keep it short and sweet.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:03 PM

It is amazing, with us being in a high tech business, that we do not see more analysis related to human response.......
That one took a lot of work.......I filed the information....

Old 03-01-2010, 09:13 PM
v7n Mentor

HTML,

Do you think that this is focused on the reader or more on what google likes and ranks high in the SERPS or both?

He didn't really say how he chose the top blogs - I'm assuming he ran the keywords in google and looked at the top returns. Is that how you read it?

Wow - 20 blogs a day. I'm feeling inadequate as a blogger at this moment. I've been know to go weeks between entries during certain times of year......

Perhaps this year, I'll create content in advance before my busy season - like a time released vitamin.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by txshellie View Post
HTML,

Do you think that this is focused on the reader or more on what google likes and ranks high in the SERPS or both?
I think his survey is more geared towards readership than the SERPS. Having said that, if you have a large readership that blogs, tweets and bookmarks you, then in the end that helps you in the SERPS through the incoming links and social proof.
Quote:
He didn't really say how he chose the top blogs - I'm assuming he ran the keywords in google and looked at the top returns. Is that how you read it?
Quote:
I picked 3 posts from 5 blogs in 8 different niches (confused yet?) and noted the word count for each.

I tried to pick some of the biggest sites in each niche as itís pointless using unsuccessful blogs as your guide. For two of the niches I didnít know the top sites personally, so I relied on Technorati and The New York Times for recommendations.
The author is a research type of person. He's probably been watching trends and who's popular for quite a while. Some of the blogs in his list I don't read but that's only because I'm not interested in the subject or just don't have time to read that many blogs regularly. Just looked, I follow 313 RSS feeds as it is. Some are customers, a few are Twitter feeds and the rest are related to my work mostly.
Quote:
Wow - 20 blogs a day. I'm feeling inadequate as a blogger at this moment. I've been know to go weeks between entries during certain times of year......

Perhaps this year, I'll create content in advance before my busy season - like a time released vitamin.
The 20 posts a day ones tend to be short posts or they have a bunch of bloggers contributing (from what I see in my RSS feed). This many posts per day is hard to keep up with (IMHO) if you are trying to actually read them.

Guess if your readers like that, then that's whatcha gotta do.

You can post date posts in Wordpress, so writing in your off season would definately be a plan.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:32 AM
Contributing Member

So it depends on the topic of your blog on how long does the content of it. Yes, I agree that it depends on the level of the readers that you targeted. Because degree holder readers love to read long content blogs than short one.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:53 AM
Contributing Member

Talking

i always thought that blog posts should be short 100 - 150 words, i think it`s better like this because if you have 10 posts with 100 words it`s better than 1 post with 1000 words, more exposure and more traffic.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Here is another article at ProBlogger by Darren Rowse regarding this issue: Post Length – How Long Should a Blog Post Be?. Covers some of the items in the original article posted and his perspective on the SEO part txshellie asked about.

Old 03-12-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothic love View Post
i always thought that blog posts should be short 100 - 150 words, i think it`s better like this because if you have 10 posts with 100 words it`s better than 1 post with 1000 words, more exposure and more traffic.
I always leaned this way too (although not that short). It depends why you are blogging.

Are you blogging because you want to build a blog following or because you want a bunch of SE traffic? Answer that, and you'll know if you are writing short or long posts.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:37 AM
Contributing Member

This analysis is awesome...I have never knew that..
I was thinking that many posts is better and less, but bigger

Old 03-14-2010, 11:51 PM
Banned

this study is pretty interesting..im not aware of how long the post is..

Old 03-15-2010, 05:42 AM
v7n Mentor

I used to shoot for around 750 - 1,000+ word post, but its just to time consuming. By the time I find supporting sites, images, videos, spell check, proof read,,,, a 1,000 word article can take 4 - 6 hours to write. I just do not have that kind of time to dedicate towards a single article.

Here lately I have been targeting the <500 word articles. With 500 words or less, (usually 300 - 400), I feel that I can still provide quality content, but without having to invest a LOT of time. Time is already short enough. Between my full time job, forum, blog, video blog, family, relaxing time,,,, time is in short supply.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:45 PM
Contributing Member

1600 words. It is good to learn that I am not too far off the norm. That seems to be what I have been averaging lately. I have been trying to create posts that are like formal essays about topics, instead of an informal daily diary of the minutiae in my life. With a proper introduction, body, and conclusion, my posts have been three to four pages long when printed out (they are written in WordPerfect and go through a few drafts before finally being posted on the blog).

Old 03-17-2010, 01:55 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by htmlbasictutor View Post
You can post date posts in Wordpress, so writing in your off season would definately be a plan.
I guess I'm old-fashioned - I just write until I've said what I have to say. Now I'm curious how close i am to the "magic number."

I love that feature of WP! I try to write ahead so there's 1 post scheduled for the following week, that takes some pressure off and lets me focus on writing well instead of just writing fast.

Old 03-17-2010, 02:25 PM

i once heard a blog should be about 500 words or so.. much more than that the average reader would lose interest...

i guess it will all depend on the target... if your aiming for the masses or just a specfic group of individuals...

i my bloggs just for traffic purpose so i will stay with the 500 range...

Old 03-24-2010, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member

I am old fashioned too. I just write until I have said what I needed to. On those occasions that I do get over 1000 words, I usually make it into 2 posts.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:53 PM
Contributing Member

I like to write posts that are between 300-500 words in length and for some bigger posts I write them around 1000 i do this so people get enough info, but there is still room for more and they click on the adsense ads.

Old 04-26-2010, 07:36 PM
Administrator

Another opinon on this subject written the same day as my original post:
Quote:
How Long Should a Blog Post Be?
My answer: As short or as long as it takes to say what you need to say.

1.) There’s no perfect length for a blog post. It’s like the idea of keyword density in SEO; there’s no magic number for keyword density on a web page, and there’s no magic number for how long your blog posts should be.

2.) A variety of blog post lengths is a good idea. For me, the most enjoyable blogs to read are the ones that offer variety; the ones that offer the unexpected. I think a blog is easier to read when there’s a mix of short posts, mid-length posts, and long posts. Too much of one type of post can be monotonous for the reader, and invites the reader to start tuning out.

3.) It’s natural to have posts with different lengths. If you believe that a blog is conversational in nature, then think about your blog posts as individual conversations. Important question: Is every conversation you have the same length? Of course not! You have conversations that last 10 seconds and you have conversations that last 10 minutes (or longer). This is how we communicate. So, if you’re trying to be natural on your blog (and you should be), your blog should have a mix of blog posts, some short and some long

Read more: http://www.smallbusinesssem.com/how-...#ixzz0mGR8sKaJ
The post goes on to describe length in word count.
How Long Should a Blog Post Be?

Old 05-01-2010, 09:48 AM

My blog which makes me the most money on a yearly basis has articles which are usually only about 150 words. Gotta love the quick, short posts. Some of my other blogs though require atleast 1,000 words just to get the point across.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum