Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum

Blogging Forum Discuss general blogging issues here - design, integration, posting, trackbacks, ETC. Also discuss blogs you like.

Share |
Old 11-22-2010, 03:30 PM
Contributing Member

How To Get Your Blog Comments Approved

This is an article I wrote for my blog, but since blog commenting is such a common topic here at V7N SEO section, I wanted to post it here because I think it will help many SEO newbies. You may not like what you read, but it is the result of my experience. Take it or leave it.

Blog commenting has long since been a highly used method for building backlinks to your website. Actually, it has been used and abused in the past so much that most blogs and search engines have completely discounted the value of comment links in terms of Search Engine Optimization (SEO) value. Many blogs do not link out. Most have the nofollow attribute applied to comments and a great number of bloggers have turned off commenting all together.

Still, however, commenting on blogs can have great value if a blog visitor uses it for what it was intended for, as a means to encourage dialogue and idea exchange. Here are some steps that will help you to get your comments approved if you are a blogger or webmaster looking to comment so as to drive traffic and grow your indexed backlink count.

Find The Right Blogs. What good is commenting on a blog that doesn't teach you about your niche or is not related to you niche in a direct or supplemental way. The purpose of commenting on blogs is to interact with both the blogger and their visitors. If you have a website about a certain subject, find blog about that same subject or related subjects. By doing so, odds are you will find targeted, search-engine-driven traffic consisting of like-minded surfers looking to learn and interact. This is a great way to draw visitors to your own site and build your reputation.

Alexa Rank. Finding blogs with high levels of traffic is very important. One metric that you can look at when looking for blogs with high levels of traffic is it's Alexa rank. Simply go to http://www.alexa.com/siteinfo and enter the URL of the site in question. Do this for all of the sites you are researching and comment on the ones with the lowest Alexa rank. In this case a low Alexa rank is a good thing because it means more traffic.

Use Your Real Name. The days of spamming blogs with keywords are over. There is really no need to use keywords in your comment or as your name when commenting. Visitors who read your comments should know your niche simply by the genre of blog that you are commenting on. This is not a complicated point. Just use your real name.

Add Value To The Article. If you want to get your comments approved, you have to add value in one form or another to the article. This means, of course, reading the article and learning something from it, provided there is something to be learned. Think of an insightful comment that actually adds to the discussion. Or, if you have a question about something in the article, ask it as your comment. This is a great way to get comments approved and solicit interaction.

Use Proper Grammar, Spelling And Punctuation. Nothing be-speaks a lack of professionalism more that poor grammar, spelling or punctuation. When you comment on blogs, you are not texting a friend on their iPhone, you are acting as an ambassador or representative for your company or website. These types of things stand out and can make the difference between getting the click and just getting skipped.

NoFollow Or DoFollow? As mentioned before, many blogs have added a nofollow attribute to comments on their blog. This has been an unfortunate necessity due to the massive amounts of spam comments that have over-run the internet. However, there are many blogs that have removed this now-default setting so as to encourage dialogue and reward legitimate commenters. I have done this to my own blog and have been happy with the results. Do spammers attempt to comment on my blog? Absolutely. Do they succeed? Absolutely not. Probably 90+% of the comment attempts on my blog are spam. Almost all get blacklisted, never to have the privilege opened to them again. With respect to the nofollow/dofollow debate, of course dofollow is better because your site receives search engine trust and reputation but do not avoid commenting on blogs that have the nofollow attribute applied. A nofollow link is far better than no link.

Avoid Software And Outsourcing. Many of the comment attempts on my blog have been made using automated software. The bottom line with respect to commenting software is this. It is nothing more than an arms race between those who use it and search engines. There is a race between the software that spams unprotected blogs and the de-indexing of these blogs by search engines as well as blog owners who have given up and thrown in the towel by turning off commenting or deleting the blog entirely. At the same time, comments placed by software are almost never related to the subject, even when commenting by keyword. They stick out like a sore thumb and are a great way to get blacklisted as well as ruin your site's reputation on several fronts. Much of the same can be said about outsourcing comments. Remember this. No piece of software or hired commenter can or will give comments linking to your business, website or blog the care and consideration that is required by this SEO and networking tool.

You can use a hammer to hit the nail on the head or break a windshield. The choice is up to you.

Bonus Tips On Finding Blogs To Comment On. You can use Google to find related blogs. Below are few examples:

"Add comment" Your Keywords
"Post comment" Your Keywords
“Write comment” Your Keywords
Your Keywords “leave a comment” / “leave comment”
Your Keywords “Notify me of follow-up comments?"+"Submit the word you see below:"
Your Keywords “Remember my personal information" + "Notify me of follow-up comments?"
Your Keywords "Notify me of follow-up comments"
Your Keywords “This site uses KeywordLuv"
Your Keywords "Enable CommentLuv"
Your Keywords "You can use these tags"
Your Keywords “Powered by BlogEngine.NET"
Your Keywords “Allowed HTML tags:"
Your Keywords “top commenter"

Blog commenting can be a great way to drive traffic if it is done correctly. The benefits of networking and building your reputation conceal great rewards that are discovered only if you play by the rules.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-22-2010, 04:34 PM
Contributing Member

The content quality of your comments needs to be underlned here. The blog that I ahve gets roughly a hundred comments a day. Only one of them is actually relevant to the topic at hand. And you can tell the amount that are using software by the fact that even after months of never having one of their comments approved, they still spam away. Nowadays I jsut ban by IP, it's not worth spending a half hour a day deleting crap.

So ya if you want to build links, at least read the article, or have folks blacklist you.

Old 11-22-2010, 05:32 PM

Really good article. Quality Content to help every one. Will commenting on NoFollow blog really help?

Old 11-22-2010, 05:57 PM
Banned

^^well it still can help to get traffic.. besides only google don't follow that nofollow thing, and other SE might still consider it..

Old 11-22-2010, 07:37 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetal View Post
Really good article. Quality Content to help every one. Will commenting on NoFollow blog really help?
It gets your name out there, and folks will still see it and possibly follow the link, even if google wont.

And what bogs said.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:21 PM
Banned

hi thebitbotdotcoms u r article is very useful to SEO persons who are new in this field. But I have question can we find such blog, after approving our comment our comment should be do follow. Plz if you have any technique share with us.

Cheers
nicole

Old 11-22-2010, 10:01 PM
Contributing Member

A point to consider, is length of acceptance. Strike while the iron is hot. If you try and comment too long after the post date, you might not get it in. Some people disable comments after 30 days. It all depends on how long they want to keep the conversation going.. It pays to keep an eye on blogs and try to get a comment in early so it will be seen by many.

Remember, that other bloggers read blogs. If your comment in a nofollow blog somebody might comment about you or your website on their blog and you could end up with several links from different blogs that are dofollow. The important thing is to ask yourself do you want links or traffic?

Old 11-23-2010, 02:54 AM
Banned

It's a fact that when a commenter comment on a blog with their real name and writing relevant to the post then sure his/her blog will be approved by the blog moderator or admin.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:03 AM
Banned

Awesome article, Best way is Comment what you think in your mind with neat content. Dont add irrelevant links.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:08 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetal View Post
Absolutely! Blog commenting is a great way to drive traffic, even if the link is nofollow. Everyone seems to think about blog commenting only in terms of the SEO benefits while neglecting to think of the human element. Here's how it helps...

Blog traffic is targeted. This means that individuals visiting blogs are interested in the subject being discussed. This is why it is very important to comment on blogs related to your own site's subject.

When making insightful comments, lurkers and readers will click thru to your site IF you show that you are knowledgeable on that subject.

Your goal should be to find blogs with as much traffic as possible. This is where the Alexa rank comes in. The lower the Alexa rank, the more traffic will see your comment and follow it's author link to it's source.

In the end, you want human targeted traffic. Humans are what click on your ads, sign up to your lists and purchase your offers. Search engine do not do any of these things. While dofollow is best in terms of SEO, nofollow should not be neglected or passed over if the blog has substantial traffic. That would be a valuable opportunity missed.

The best thing you could do is subscribe to updates of blogs in your niche that have as low of an Alexa rank as possible and try to be the first to comment on them. Follow the rules outlined in the original article and you will begin to reap the rewards.

Old 11-23-2010, 03:27 AM
Banned

if we didnt add the keywords in the blog commenting will it give value to SEO

Old 11-23-2010, 03:49 AM
Contributing Member

That are awesome tips, thank you a lot. I think it's very important to build and create a good reputation for a website.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:02 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john smith1 View Post
if we didnt add the keywords in the blog commenting will it give value to SEO
Interesting question and very relevant. If you are not able to add keywords as your name or in your post as a link, then the answer is NO, you will not receive any SEO benefit.

For this reason, it is important to read the "Comment Policy" of any blog you comment on IF there is one. Some blogs specify that you use your name only. Some don't care. I have seen others who will accept "your name @ your keywords" as you name.

HERE IS A VERY IMPORTANT POINT! It is best to use your NAME ONLY if you are new to a blog.

Why? Because you do not yet have the trust of the blogger and you may not be familiar with his or her comment policy initially.

Here is the key...find a few blogs that you enjoy reading and learning from...begin by reading the article and making comments that are more than just one-liners. Use your real name and put keywords (not your keywords, keywords from the author's article and NO LINKS!) from the article IN your comment. By dong this you will greatly increase the chances of getting your comment approved. Additionally, by regularly visiting that blog, you will see other comments that get approved and the techniques they use as well as whether or not they use keywords as their name. Follow what they do because obviously they were successful in getting their comments approved.

Again, the key is gaining the trust of the blogger.

In many cases, blogs that accept names only may, in time, allow you to use a keyword, IF you become a trusted commenter. However, this takes time because a relationship must be developed between the blogger and commenter.

Do not, I repeat do not, move from blog to blog spamming them. Stick with a small handful of blogs and learn how to comment on them before you move on.

By commenting with care, you learn how to get your comments approved, then you can start focusing on which blogs do not apply the nofollow attribute.

If you add value to the page or article in the form of a QUALITY COMMENT, bloggers will begin returning the favor. I speak personally.

Last edited by thebitbotdotcom; 11-23-2010 at 05:11 AM.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

One of my friend was to use his targeted keywords while commenting but they were never approved, so we can say that bloggers are giving more importance to genuine users but again there are some good going blogs where the comments are not moderated, then again people starts spamming on those blogs. Is there any technique which can help in searching the blogs that allow instant approval of comments (but only good ranking blogs) ?.

Last edited by Franklinbkr; 11-23-2010 at 06:54 AM. Reason: typo error

Old 11-23-2010, 07:52 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklinbkr View Post
One of my friend was to use his targeted keywords while commenting but they were never approved, so we can say that bloggers are giving more importance to genuine users but again there are some good going blogs where the comments are not moderated, then again people starts spamming on those blogs. Is there any technique which can help in searching the blogs that allow instant approval of comments (but only good ranking blogs) ?.
This is a mistake! Avoid comment auto-approve blogs! They are a waste of time! Your links become valueless due to other spammers. You want to comment on blogs that are human moderated. Once you successfully get links on these, their value will be protected by the moderators.

This is the number one mistake blog commenters that are looking for links make and it doesn't work! Never has !!! Never will !!!

Old 11-23-2010, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

avoid blog spamming at all time, wordpress blog is with akismet and their server check for spam comments.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:55 AM
Contributing Member

What you have written is worth reading by everyone in Seo industries.. I have made my all blogs dofollow, but getting lots of spam commenting. I made my blog dofollow to encourage people to comment but spammer knew it and I had to delete all those comments.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:13 AM
Banned

use your real name. The days of spamming blogs with keywords are over. and Add value to your article.

Old 11-25-2010, 04:16 AM
Contributing Member

just make sure that things that you're going to say is related to the blog post,... and also just give your feedback and thoughts about the topic of the blog or blog post...

Old 11-25-2010, 04:45 AM
Contributing Member

Good news is that some free hosting services like Blogger are now blocking blogs which spam. The bad side of it is that even good blogs tend to be deleted too. However, if some use the tips you have given, then they will be on the good side

Spammers always use short comments like...
Thats nice
Good work
I have just stumbled on your blog
I am going to tell my friends
You are the best
Thats informative...

Last edited by snakeair; 11-25-2010 at 08:38 AM. Reason: merged posts

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum