Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum

Blogging Forum Discuss general blogging issues here - design, integration, posting, trackbacks, ETC. Also discuss blogs you like.

Share |
Old 02-18-2011, 01:01 PM

Help with wordpress plugins please

Hi

I am having a problem with my worpress blog. If you click on the categories section http://homeopportunitywork.org , I do not understand why my widgets (recommended site, sponsors, etc) displayed at the bottom of the site and not on the right hand side like my homepage?

Help please.

Thanks very much for your help

Last edited by snakeair; 02-18-2011 at 10:26 PM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-18-2011, 09:59 PM
v7n Mentor

Have you used the admin panel to update all plugins and wordpress itself? If you have, it may be a template issue, and you'll need to see if that updated as well. I'd suspect that's more than likely the problem. You did some updates recently and it broke things. To find out, you can either deactivate things one at a time till you find the problem, or download a new updated template and see if it fixes things. If the template works, then the template you use now is the issue.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:26 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Once i removed my right column because i was manually messing around with the coding in the side panel template. What i did was upload the orginal side panel template since i saved it and un-installed the plugins that effected the side panel and re-installed them again. Also made my extra edits but did not remove any template coding.

I see the plugin theme is in another language so i'm unable to check things out on there. Do what was suggested already and look at the template files because something is missing or coded wrong.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:47 PM
Administrator

If what Snakeair suggested doesn't work,

My initial guess, without tearing the theme apart, is that the content column width is not right, which would force the side container to be pushed down. Compare the style used for the content column on the home page with the style used for the content column on the category pages.

Old 02-19-2011, 07:17 AM

Thanks everybody for your help.

I am a newbe and buil my wordpress after bying and ebook, so I am not techi at all.

HTMLBasicTutor, please can you tell me how to check the "content column width" for my pages ? can you tell me where to go in Wordpress ?

Thanks do much and sorry for being so stupid!

Old 02-19-2011, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouchou View Post
Thanks everybody for your help.

I am a newbe and buil my wordpress after bying and ebook, so I am not techi at all.

HTMLBasicTutor, please can you tell me how to check the "content column width" for my pages ? can you tell me where to go in Wordpress ?

Thanks do much and sorry for being so stupid!
chouchou,
First of all, make sure you have a backup of your Wordpress theme on your computer. Make a copy of your backup to work with. This is so if you make a mistake you have the original to go back to. Even the pros make mistakes.

Included with your theme is a file called style.css. This is the file where your styling is located. A local copy can be opened with a plain text editor like Notepad.

I have to go out so see if you can do this on your own:
Look for the style #content and check the width. Compare this width for the style .archive or .archive #content.

Old 02-19-2011, 12:49 PM

Thanks HTMLBasicTutor.

I have found the width (100%) for content inside style.css but unfortunately, I cannot find .archive or .archive content.

I think I will have to give up as I do not want to take your time guys when I do not understand exactly what you are saying.

Thanks for your help again and sorry for wasting your time

Old 02-19-2011, 02:48 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by chouchou View Post
Thanks HTMLBasicTutor.

I have found the width (100%) for content inside style.css but unfortunately, I cannot find .archive or .archive content.

I think I will have to give up as I do not want to take your time guys when I do not understand exactly what you are saying.

Thanks for your help again and sorry for wasting your time
We're a community here Chou, so it's not wasting time, especially if you want to learn. That's what V7N is all about, helping people learn by answering their questions. Don't give up because it's a bit difficult. Grow from this, learn, and accomplish what you set out to accomplish

Old 02-19-2011, 02:59 PM
Administrator

chouchou,
It's not a waste of my time helping if you want to learn.

Downloaded the rendered coding for your home page and the Entrepreneur Ideas category.

I had Dreamweaver format the coding (makes it tidy and indented so you can see what's going on). There is something wrong with the category template. The divs are not closed up properly.

Did you tinker with the cateogry file in your theme? or did it come like this?

Old 02-19-2011, 03:16 PM
Coding Tiger

HBT, when you start you code layout in a page, continue it in a few other pages, and then end it all up in another one you can get unpredictable results. I can't tell you how many broken themes I've downloaded from WP, but that's just the way it is...some might work, some might not...

Old 02-19-2011, 04:11 PM
Administrator

That's true kos. In this case though, it appears that the category.php should be a copy of the index.php (for the layout) with the "content" changed.

Right now to me it appears there is something wrong with the "content" coding where a div (or two) hasn't been closed properly but we won't know until we find out until OP replies.

Old 02-19-2011, 05:09 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
That's true kos. In this case though, it appears that the category.php should be a copy of the index.php (for the layout) with the "content" changed.

Right now to me it appears there is something wrong with the "content" coding where a div (or two) hasn't been closed properly but we won't know until we find out until OP replies.
Not sure OP will reply, as they said they're new and not so tech savvy. I really hope they do though. It's sad to me when people give up because it's more than they bargained for. Plenty of help here, we'd have helped em get it straight

Old 02-20-2011, 04:57 AM

Hi All

I am not giving up, I dont fell confortable keeping asking you guys again and again....

Being new to website and not techi at all, what you are telling me is like talking chinese.. Reading HTML post about Dreamweaver, I didn't have a clue what Dreamweaver was! I have google it and now know.

I know that my categorie template is wrong and I still trying to find out where ?

So, I have looked into > appearance > editor in Wordpress. I can see category.php and index.php, but then when I click on it, I do not know what to look for ?

Can I get some more guidance please

Thanks again

Old 02-20-2011, 11:17 AM
Administrator

Glad to hear you haven't given up chouchou!

There is a set of tags called div. They create what are called containers. e.g. <div id="wrapper"> is the opening tag for the container that holds all the other coding to create your pages. It has a matching closing tag </div>. You have to have both the opening and closing tags or your design will break. You can nest them which means you can do this:
Code:
<div id="wrapper" <div id="nav"> coding for the navigation bar </div> <div id="maincontent"> coding for the main content </div> <div id="sidebar"> coding for the sidebar </div> </div
The id="name" part is used by the CSS file to identify the container so you can apply styles to that specific container.

You have to find where a div in the category.php file is not closed properly within the main content container. This is going to be easier if you copy what you have on the webspace to your computer. To do that you need a FTP client. Here are the instructions: What is a FTP Client?

When you got the theme, did you install it from within Wordpress or did you download it to your computer and then upload it?

Old 02-22-2011, 02:29 PM

Hi Html

I have check for matching close tab and to me it looks correct but it the first time I am doing it and could be wrong?

I have copy below my category.php page and would be greteful if you could look to see if I am correct.

To answer your question, I have downloaded from inside Wordpress.

Thanks for your hep

================================================== =======
Code:
<?php /** * The template for displaying Category Archive pages. * * @package WordPress * @subpackage Third_Style * @since Third Style 1.0 */ get_header(); ?> <div id="container"> <div id="content" role="main"> <h1 class="page-title"><?php printf( __( 'Category Archives: %s', 'thirdstyle' ), '<span>' . single_cat_title( '', false ) . '</span>' ); ?></h1> <?php $category_description = category_description(); if ( ! empty( $category_description ) ) echo '<div class="archive-meta">' . $category_description . '</div>'; /* Run the loop for the category page to output the posts. * If you want to overload this in a child theme then include a file * called loop-category.php and that will be used instead. */ get_template_part( 'loop', 'category' ); ?> </div><!-- #content --> </div><!-- #container --> <?php get_sidebar(); ?> <?php get_footer(); ?>

Last edited by snakeair; 02-22-2011 at 09:55 PM.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:57 PM
v7n Mentor

Hmmm, doesn't look to me like it's a problem there. From what I can tell, all tags and divs are opened and closed. Not sure what else to offer at this point, but it doesn't look like that file is the issue. Someone else might contradict me on that, maybe I missed something, but I don't think so.

***EDIT***
I have a sneaking suspicion it might be CSS related. Something may be floating the wrong way and not cleared properly comes to mind.

Old 02-23-2011, 08:35 AM
Banned

I think your problem have been solved

Old 02-23-2011, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by otjutt View Post
It has not been solved and if you have any idea's to what this coding issue is then please post your thoughts.

It would be good if you actually visited the thread creators website before replying.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otjutt View Post
I am sorry, but why are you saying it has been solved when it has not ?

Thnqks

Old 02-23-2011, 09:55 PM
Banned

oops! sorry guys its not solved! I tried to figure out the problem but everything looks fine! Here is something I noticed while using firebug lite.

On your homepage its fine so the structure looks like this:

Quote:
<div id="main">
<div id="container">
<div id="primary" class="widget-area" role="complementary">
</div>
But on the category archive pages it is like this:

Quote:
<div id="main">
<div id="container">
</div>
The missing