Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum

Blogging Forum Discuss general blogging issues here - design, integration, posting, trackbacks, ETC. Also discuss blogs you like.

Share |
Old 06-06-2011, 04:29 PM

.blogspot domains and SEO

My question is: I am starting out with a free .blogspot blog from Google although I would like this blog to be large scale in the future in the range of 5k visits a month.

Does Google value a .blogspot domain less for SEO purposes? Or is it actually worth it to invest the $10 yearly to buy the domain name from google?

In other words if you had two sites with equal off site and on site factors, is a .blogspot domain worth significantly less than a regular example . com domain?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-06-2011, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Whether Google gives more importance to Blogspot blogs or not is not important to me.

What is more important is that you remain in control of your blog and can expand as necessary.

Blogspot has some limitations, like
-ya can't take it with ya once you get too big.
-meta tags are the same for each page (unless you do some fancy stuff)
-general limitations of their software
-they might close it down at any time which means you have no way to redirect your traffic and the search bots to your new location.

Whereas if you bought your own domain name, your own hosting and did a self install instance of Wordpress you are in control of everything. (Note I said self installed instance of Wordpress. i.e. Don't use the quick install at the hosting company).

With your own Wordpress blog, you can move where ever you want, grow as big as you want and add what ever features you desire.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:07 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
-they might close it down at any time which means you have no way to redirect your traffic and the search bots to your new location.
That was my bad experience with Blogspot. I have my own servers, but wanted to experiment with Blogspot for the exact reason the OP mentioned, to see if there are SEO benefits. I put a lot of work into my proxy blog and then they canceled it. The ironic thing is I had just written a post about NOT using proxies to do SEO spam. I couldn't get my posts and I couldn't set up a redirect. Luckily, all of the posts where in Google syndication, so I could copy and paste them. I ended up moving it to one of my servers and it still gets good rankings in Google. When I Google for various things in general, I find some Blogspot pages in the results only when they are relevant quality pages. That leads me to believe Blogspot has no particular extra value.

Old 06-06-2011, 05:24 PM

So is there any way of transferring my blog posts to a new domain and putting them into Wordpress without those posts getting dinged for duplicate content? Or do I just have to suck it up and lose the content I had previously?

Quote:
they might close it down at any time which means you have no way to redirect your traffic and the search bots to your new location.
I would think that that would get taken care of if you paid the $10 to have an actual registered domain with Google??

Old 06-06-2011, 08:11 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vectro View Post
That was my bad experience with Blogspot. I have my own servers, but wanted to experiment with Blogspot for the exact reason the OP mentioned, to see if there are SEO benefits. I put a lot of work into my proxy blog and then they canceled it. The ironic thing is I had just written a post about NOT using proxies to do SEO spam. I couldn't get my posts and I couldn't set up a redirect. Luckily, all of the posts where in Google syndication, so I could copy and paste them. I ended up moving it to one of my servers and it still gets good rankings in Google. When I Google for various things in general, I find some Blogspot pages in the results only when they are relevant quality pages. That leads me to believe Blogspot has no particular extra value.
I was thinking along the lines of them doing away with Blogspot all together (like Yahoo! did with GeoCities and a few other free services) but there is also the problem you pointed out.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoor lighting View Post
So is there any way of transferring my blog posts to a new domain and putting them into Wordpress without those posts getting dinged for duplicate content? Or do I just have to suck it up and lose the content I had previously?
What I did with mine was leave an intro with a link to the new location when I saw the light and got my own domain. Eventually I just deleted the Blogspot blog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by outdoor lighting View Post
I would think that that would get taken care of if you paid the $10 to have an actual registered domain with Google??
Are you talking about registering a domain name at Google? Register a new domain

Old 06-08-2011, 11:17 PM
Contributing Member

Hi, i think blogspot is not bad for SEO.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:12 AM
Contributing Member

i would suggest you to go with a self hosted wordpress site since blogger domain can be deleted anytime by google

Old 06-09-2011, 02:38 AM
Contributing Member

if you pick blogspot I guess you better an old domain first, at least 5 or 6 years old and start posting, slow article marketing I think will be enough to support the SEO weight of th blogspot

Old 06-13-2011, 09:30 PM

i use blogspot to SEO , i think it not bad

Old 06-16-2011, 05:35 PM
Contributing Member

I dont think Google only give importance only to blogspot blogs.Google like those blogs that structured on their basic guidelines provided in google SEO starter guide.Google like blogs that has unique content.

A top level domain is must If you are serious in your business and to grow your brand.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:38 PM

Well, I guess there is a threat that Google will discontinue the service.

My thoughts are, though, that with Google's wealth and the cheap price of hosting these sites and the Ad revenue they make off them and with the fact that they keep people tied to the Google brand they will probably never get rid of them.

Old 06-18-2011, 12:58 PM
Contributing Member

You should really buy your own domain instead of relying on blogspot the major problem is that you will not be the owner of the domain and you can be separated from it any time.

Old 06-21-2011, 06:47 PM
Banned

if you want full control then having your own domain is ideal..whether its free or paid what important is your content

Old 06-22-2011, 12:39 AM

There will be a lot of discussions whether blogspot will be good with seo or not but i suggest if you are planning to make it big then i suggest that you buy your own domain since you will have more flexibility with what you want to do with your website when you finally have your own domain compare to blogspot.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:30 AM

First, 5k visits a month is not large scale. 5k visits a day is medium scale. Second, just buy the domain you want, use a coupon and get a discount through godaddy. The last thing you want is to set up a blogspot blog and have it shut down by daddy G because it didn't like something you were doing.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:44 AM

I was thinking about doing this but is this good for SEO and for traffic to my website?

Old 06-22-2011, 11:25 AM
Contributing Member

the numbers of articles doesn't matter dude!
if a person writes 100 articles each of 200 words and another writes 50 each of 500 words then the one with 50 will be ranked higher
articles with more words are usually ranked higher according to my observation, other factors count as well

i usually write 2 per day and 60 per month

Old 06-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Contributing Member

blogspot is not bad but sometimes due to bots mistake we get deleted like mine blog

[removed]

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 06-27-2011 at 04:55 PM.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Contributing Member

Buy a domain name, hosting and then start your own blog if you are really confident of huge success and huge traffic.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum