Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum

Blogging Forum Discuss general blogging issues here - design, integration, posting, trackbacks, ETC. Also discuss blogs you like.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 03-30-2006, 01:25 PM

What are the best add-ons for wordpress?

Hi Folks,
I just setup wordpress for the first time and I'm looking for some good modules to add to it. I don't want to get carried away adding things I'll never have use for so I thought it would be best to ask others what they use most.

So far I have only downloaded one for adsense and some themes, any help would be greatly appreciated.

ezniche

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-30-2006, 04:24 PM
Contributing Member

what is the link to your blog? I've only seen one for adsense and you had to pay some bucks for it.

Old 03-30-2006, 05:04 PM

Hi Dustin,
its not online yet, I'm still working on it in the background. but I got the info on the plugin from the readme.txt it also does the new yahoo ads, not just adsense

AdSense-Deluxe plugin for Wordpress 1.5+ and 2.0
Version 0.7
Author: Wayne Walrath, Acme Technologies http://www.acmetech.com/

It was free

ez

Old 03-30-2006, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

interesting. I could swear that I was looking at that exact same one and had to pay. Cool!

Old 04-04-2006, 04:30 PM

I use Adsense Deluxe and it's great (and free!)

Old 04-04-2006, 05:26 PM

Yeah, it installed really easy, and I'd bet that you could probably copy a file or something from it to re-use the adsense codes once you have them all in place. I'm going to look sooner or later, but I'd guess you would find them saved in a text file

ez

Old 04-05-2006, 07:00 PM
Contributing Member

Here is a list of plugins I use on my Redscowl SEO Blog (Note that a few are included with the new WordPress 2.0 and can easily be obtained from http://wordpress.org AND http://www.wp-plugins.net/)"
Quote:
Add To
This plugin will “Add to Delicious”, “Add to Yahoo! MyWeb”, “Digg it”, “Add to Slashdot”, and “Add to RawSugar” links before the comments area. By James Marquez & Marc Macalua.

Adsense-Deluxe
Place Google AdSense ads in your WordPress Posts. Requires WordPress 1.5 or higer. For complete usage and configuration click on AdsenseDeluxe under the “Options” menu. By Acme Technologies.

Akismet
Akismet checks your comments against the Akismet web serivce to see if they look like spam or not. You need a WordPress.com API key to use this service. You can review the spam it catches under “Manage” and it automatically deletes old spam after 15 days. Hat tip: Michael Hampton and Chris J. Davis for help with the plugin. By Matt Mullenweg.

Better Feed
Your feeds, on steroid. By Ozh .

DateDiff
Calculate the difference between two dates like Microsoft Excel’s datedif. By maseko .

FeedBurner Awareness
Access your feed statistics using the FeedBurner Awareness API. By Eric Davis .

Gravatars
This plugin provides an administrative interface to control default gravatar options. Registered users can also (optionally) define local gravatar images that will override their gravatar.com default. Copyright 2005 Scott Merrill; Licensed under the terms of the GPL. By Scott Merrill .
Google Sitemaps
This generator will create a Google compliant sitemap of your WordPress blog. By Arne Brachhold .

Hello Dolly
This is not just a plugin, it symbolizes the hope and enthusiasm of an entire generation summed up in two words sung most famously by Louis Armstrong: Hello, Dolly. When activated you will randomly see a lyric from Hello, Dolly in the upper right of your admin screen on every page. By Matt Mullenweg.

LiveCalendar
Calendar widget energized with the xmlhttprequest magic. Allows calendar navigation without refreshing the entire page. If you have questions, try the LiveCalendar Forums. By Jon Abad .

Markdown
Markdown syntax allows you to write using an easy-to-read, easy-to-write plain text format. Based on the original Perl version by John Gruber. More… By Michel Fortin.

Optimal Title
Mirrors the function of wp_title() exactly, but moves the position of the ’separator’ to after the title rather than before. By Aaron Schaefer .

Photopress
Photopress adds user-friendly image handling tools to Wordpress, including a popup upload and browse tool, a random image function, and a simple album. Installs and uses a database table. By Isaac Wedin.

Popularity Contest
This will enable ranking of your posts by popularity; using the behavior of your visitors to determine each post’s popularity. You set a value (or use the default value) for every post view, comment, etc. and the popularity of your posts is calculated based on those values. Once you have activated the plugin, you can configure the Popularity Values and View Reports. You can also use the included Template Tags to display post popularity and lists of popular posts on your blog. By Alex King.

Related Posts
Returns a list of the related posts. Please refer to the included readme for installation instructions. By Alexander Malov.

runPHP 2.1b Allows you to put PHP code into a post and have it eval()’d. By James Van Lommel.

Google Analytics
Terms of use • Doc/FAQ • Support forum — Adds Google analytics to your blog, including outbound link tracking. By Denis de Bernardy.

Subscribe me
Terms of use • Doc/FAQ • Support forum — Displays a tile with subscribe buttons. To use, call the_subscribe_links(); where you want the tile to appear. Alternatively, do nothing and the tile will display when wp_meta(); is called. By Denis de Bernardy.

Sidebar Tile
Terms of use • Doc/FAQ • Support forum — Displays contents of the page with a slug of ’sidebar’ into your sidebar. To use, call the_sidebar_tile(); where you want the tile to appear. By Denis de Bernardy .

Subscribe2
Notifies an email list when new entries are posted. By Scott Merrill.

WP Flickr Post Bar
Displays a Flickr bar at the top of your edit screen, which allows you to easily add Flickr photos to your posts with one click. Configure… By Joe Tan.

Terong Related Links
This plugin will help you displaying related permalinks. This plugin has been tested in WP 1.5.1.3 and 2.0 By Erwin Kodiat .

Textile 1
This is a simple wrapper for Dean Allen’s Humane Web Text Generator, also known as Textile. If you use this plugin you should disable Textile 2 and Markdown, as they don’t play well together. By Dean Allen.

Viper's Plugins Used
Allows you to display alphabetically what plugins you have enabled on your blog in either a table or unordered list. Also allows you to set custom descriptions for the plugins in the output. By Viper007Bond .

WordPress Database Backup
On-demand backup of your WordPress database. By Scott Merrill.

Random Quotes
This plugin allows you to embed random quotes into your pages. It also has a spiffy management tool in the administrative console. By Dustin Barnes.
Took me a while to organize this, but it's allll good since it's for V7N Forums!! A few of them are de-activated, but are handy at some times!

Old 04-05-2006, 07:14 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenC
I use Adsense Deluxe and it's great (and free!)
Brilliant plug-in and the fact that it can be used for other things than just Adsense is powerful.

sixty6 - thanks for the list! Like your name by the way, reminds of the game Bingo! "clickty click sixty6."

Old 09-11-2008, 07:56 AM

I like socialize and google analytics

Old 09-11-2008, 03:12 PM

Wordpress Auto Updater plugin will come in very handy as soon as you need to update Wordpress, takes a lot of the legwork out of installing updates (which you'll need to do frequently as they release new versions

Old 09-14-2008, 11:05 AM
Contributing Member

You definitely need Akismet! I probably don't have many real readers as I don't post all that often, but the spam comments sure landed thick and fast. I used to have to moderate a list of hundreds every time I checked the blog. Now there might be half a dozen that slipped by and need to be manually deleted.

Old 09-14-2008, 04:50 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by firecat View Post
You definitely need Akismet! I probably don't have many real readers as I don't post all that often, but the spam comments sure landed thick and fast. I used to have to moderate a list of hundreds every time I checked the blog. Now there might be half a dozen that slipped by and need to be manually deleted.
Agreed! Can't live without Akismet.

bartolomo

Old 10-02-2008, 06:45 AM
Contributing Member

Well Akismet of course, but I found the XML sitemap creator helpful. Also the all-in-one SEO pack was convenient, until I know how to do more of the html tweaking myself.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:12 PM

I like Aksimet. It's just great for spam.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Contributing Member

Hi there sixty6! That was a very wonderful list! I'll bookmark this for future references... Thanks!

Old 10-08-2008, 11:53 AM
Contributing Member

These two plugins are my favorites currently. They help with SEO and sitemapping for Google!

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/...-one-seo-pack/

http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/...map-generator/

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum

Closed Thread