Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum

Blogging Forum Discuss general blogging issues here - design, integration, posting, trackbacks, ETC. Also discuss blogs you like.

Share |
Old 02-05-2012, 12:03 PM
v7n Mentor

Thumbs down Inspiration issues

I assume many of v7n members have blogs which exist for several years. As a relatively young blogger I'm interested how exactly do you cope with the lack of inspiration, lack of good ideas for articles? I'm sure you've experienced good times as well as bad ones.

Also, I understand that everyone has different topics on which they write on. The modern blogging creed seems to be "more and more content", so how do you continue blogging without damage to the general quality of writing and losing the audience in the times when inspiration isn't as strong. Any tips and tricks you use in the blog developement when your brain is somewhat asleep?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-07-2012, 12:01 AM
Contributing Member

Reply: Inspiration issues

Hhhmm ... When I feel that, I tend to step out of my computer and look around, observing the real world. I'm freeing my mind, relaxing, let the energy flow and till *pop!* an idea will come in. Don't push yourself to come up a good idea when you're totally no idea what to write. If you push yourself much, it'll be harder to think of a good topic. Believe me! You might consume more time thinking of nothing for pressuring yourself, more time will be wasted.

Write from the heart. Don't be so paranoid if people will find your blog post nonsense or not of quality, am sure it's original and come from the heart. Writing is an art of expressing, write to express not to impress.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:51 AM

It depends on the type of blog you have.

If you write a 'diary' type blog about anything and your personal opinion, then as the post above says, just take a break and come back to your writing when you 'feel' it. Go eat an icecream, watch some old movies, go for walk at sunset...

If you write for a specific type of reader, on particular subjects or niche, then you have such constraints to take into account. And what these types of reader want is Quality above Quantity. So i would suggest... just take a break and come back to your writing when you 'feel' it! Except, this time during your break, you should do as much research on your niche as possible. Research other blogs, up-to-date news, past and present opinions, changes in law, etc, everything that will influence the future in your niche.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:24 PM

It depends of your topic, if you are writing completely off topic of your expertise you have two options:

Drop the blog, or start reading

Inspiration comes when a deep though comes to us. It is like writing music, it is a feeling.

Old 02-07-2012, 01:38 PM
Contributing Member

Writing for SEO purposes can be a drain, and the ensuing "writers block" can encroach. For me, I have a personal blog that I mainly write about wine, which is my passion. Why not start a personal Wordpress blog where you can vent, write about what truly comes to mind and not have to worry about your SEO work for a short while? I find it helps me get back in the groove!

Old 02-07-2012, 07:47 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSS View Post

Write from the heart. Don't be so paranoid if people will find your blog post nonsense or not of quality, am sure it's original and come from the heart. Writing is an art of expressing, write to express not to impress.
Thank you for sharing your experience and it's great to hear such quality advice. I actually created my blogs in the same manner, but when they started to grow I adjusted (well mainly expanded) the content. I'm still building them, yet some kind of creative stop happened. Meaning when I finish the current upgrade, I have no idea where to take the blogs next. It's a weird feeling for me, since I usually have some kind a plan. Guess, the best thing to do would be step back a bit

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_man View Post
Except, this time during your break, you should do as much research on your niche as possible. Research other blogs, up-to-date news, past and present opinions, changes in law, etc, everything that will influence the future in your niche.
I know different types of blog require different approach. That is the reason why this topic is rather general in nature. It's a niche related blog indeed, but I'm very thorough in my research so I covered all the main issues for now. Focusing on smaller ones seems like a drop of quality. In any case, you gave me some very good ideas on some areas I haven't studied yet.

Old 02-07-2012, 08:00 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikomaster View Post
Drop the blog, or start reading

Inspiration comes when a deep though comes to us. It is like writing music, it is a feeling.
Very true point on inspiration, once you have it the world is yours. And without it all seems so tiresome. Dropping the blog isn't really an option, I still have some topics to finish. I shall obviously have to do some reading in order to get new ideas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caspernick View Post
Writing for SEO purposes can be a drain, and the ensuing "writers block" can encroach. For me, I have a personal blog that I mainly write about wine, which is my passion. Why not start a personal Wordpress blog where you can vent, write about what truly comes to mind and not have to worry about your SEO work for a short while? I find it helps me get back in the groove!
How can one write an entirely non personal blog? I believe each blog at least contains bits of personality from the writer

The problem is that I don't feel comfortable sharing some of my other passions with the "world". Blogs I already have cover that area pretty well. SEO isn't high on my list of priorities, but I'm aware of its importance. Not a bad idea though, dropping all the information I've summed up so far and getting back to the basics, finding the original passion. Can't hurt, right? Anyway, again thank you all for the great advice, you've earned your reps. If someone still wants to share his/hers experiences or thoughts, feel free to do so

Old 02-08-2012, 04:24 AM
Contributing Member

I'm not a long time member here, but I can share something, I think.

It would depend on the blog that you're handling. If it's about a specific topic, then look for news and share your opinion about it. When I said share, I meant everything that you can say about it.

You can ask your friends, and/or your frequent readers on what they want to read in your blog. They might actually be the ones giving the best ideas in the world as of now.

I hope that helps. Kudos, and good luck!

Old 02-08-2012, 01:22 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSS View Post
write to express not to impress.
I agree with this sentiment completely.

Writing honestly from the heart will engage more readers and shows you are putting yourself out there, which shows you have courage and confidence.

A few personal insights will not compromise your online presence, but will lend your writing originality and immediacy.

Be honest and keep it simple is a great maxim to follow.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:27 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeraldNitram View Post
You can ask your friends, and/or your frequent readers on what they want to read in your blog. They might actually be the ones giving the best ideas in the world as of now.
Well, I could ask them but since it's a specific blog my knowledge on the subject greatly surpasses theirs. Other than design comments, I don't see much benefit in that. Thank you for the kind wishes

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwendo View Post
Writing honestly from the heart will engage more readers and shows you are putting yourself out there, which shows you have courage and confidence.

Be honest and keep it simple is a great maxim to follow.
I agree it's a great maxim to follow, brilliant post in general. But what do you do when you already have put your thoughts in the vast realms of blogosphere, shared with them main ideas or knowledge? Where do you draw inspiration from then? That is the key issue of this thread

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum