Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum

Blogging Forum Discuss general blogging issues here - design, integration, posting, trackbacks, ETC. Also discuss blogs you like.

Share |
Old 02-08-2013, 11:09 PM
Contributing Member

Exclamation What do you do with your Wordpress.com blog once you move to Wordpress.org?

After 6 months blogging on Wordpress.com, which was pretty nice, I have decided to move to self-hosed Wordpress.

I bought the domain name (gladly a good one), decent hosting package, and was all excited and thrilled to have a real self-hosted Wordpress for the first time after almost 5 years of creating websites.

After installing Wordpress platform etc etc, I imported the Wordpress.com into my new hosting/domain name. But once I did, I found out that I was left with two blogs, one of them is the old one with the content and the traffic, and the new one is a duplication of it with the content and without the traffic! So I just deleted the posts on the new site and thought I would ask you guys before migrating...

What do you do with the old Wordpress.com blog once you migrate? What do you do with the old content? Do you just delete it and lose your ranking and indexing? I would appreciate it very much if someone gives me some insight.

Thank you so much

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-19-2013, 02:14 PM
Contributing Member

Ideally with an old blog you'd setup 301 redirects from the old domain to the new one. I'm not sure if wordpress.com allows you to do that. I'd look into it though. If you can't, I'd just remove all of the content from the old domain and put a big link saying that the blog has moved to your new address. You don't want to have both blogs up with duplicate content.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:27 PM
v7n Mentor

Adamk,

You have a couple options here. You can put a link in your content letting people know the site has moved. Alternatively, wordpress.com does offer redirection but it’s a service from the wordpress.com store and it costs about a dollar a month.

http://store.wordpress.com/premium-upgrades/redirect/

Hope that helps,

Shawn

Old 03-09-2013, 05:00 PM
Contributing Member

You can just tell them that the blog is moved and put up a link to it. When I moved my blog I moved all the content over to my new blog. I didn't take down the content that I had already written there but I did explain to people who come there that I am no longer writing in that blog anymore and I put up a new link to my new blog. Surprisingly, I still get traffic to my old blog and I have taken it down from everywhere.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:05 AM
Contributing Member

Do 301 redirection of old posts to new blog posts... but don't do too many of them google won't like it according to Matt Cutts.
Contact your host to do the redirects, from cpanel or modifying the .htaccess there are tutorials only too. Best way is to hire
a programmer from elance.com and let him do it.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum