Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum

Blogging Forum Discuss general blogging issues here - design, integration, posting, trackbacks, ETC. Also discuss blogs you like.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 02-08-2013, 11:34 PM
Banned

Question Tk Domain With Wordpress...

I have question...
i created a free domain from dot.tk website...
and get free hosting and install wordpress on it....

Is google give it preference for ranking if i do SEO on it..
i think, google think dot tk domain is not quality domain...
tell me your suggestions please....

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-08-2013, 11:46 PM
Contributing Member

I used .tk domains for a few years.

First off, I guess Google is nice enough not to judge you by your TDL. Long as your content is fresh, good and relevant.

But the problem with .tk domain is that you never own it.

I worked on one of those websites for over a year when I was still a young guy in school. Was very excited when my homepage had 3PR for the first time. Oh I remember how big that was to me back then...

All of a sudden .tk told me that my traffic is not enough (not more than 30 clicks a month) while the truth was that I had a few thousand visitors a month and they took away my domain name and used it for ads for a while then they seem to have sold it somehow.

It's okay to have free hosting, I use it sometimes at zymic.com. But NEVER have free domains unless you are sure that you OWN them.

Though domain names are relatively cheap, I understand they can be hard to buy sometimes when you don't have credit card, when you don't feel like paying, when you live somewhere where 10 bucks are much etc etc. I have been there and I understand it.

My advice to you is to either try to buy a domain name, or to start blogging with Wordpress.com or Blogger.com till you feel your business worth a paid domain name. Then it would be no problem to buy one, since you already would know how to make that money you will spend.

Otherwise, you will have your hard-earned website taken away, or at least will live with that threat for nobody-knows how long.

Have a wonderful day

Last edited by AdamK; 02-08-2013 at 11:51 PM.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:52 PM
Banned

Thanks Adamk,
for you suggestions....
well i only write a fresh article on it and redirect users to my own site with hyperlinks...
i hope this is good for traffic...

Old 02-09-2013, 11:21 AM
Contributing Member

I think its not a good idea to use a free domain name, since you have mentioned below you are using it for free traffic to your website, I will suggest you to go for web 2.0 sites and blogs, they are much better than using a .tk domain name! I have never used .tk domain name in my whole life

Old 02-11-2013, 09:28 PM

U can use .TK for temporary, but not for a permanent blogs.,

Old 02-17-2013, 11:38 AM
Contributing Member

Never use any free domains. See what happened with .co.cc domains. Google removed entire extension from its index. Same will happen with .tk when spam will increase over them. Domains don't cost much, so it doesn't make any sense when someone go for a free domain

Old 02-19-2013, 04:58 PM

I agree with all of the above users. When I was using .tk and I tried sharing it though facebook it always required verfication, free domains are ok when testing features and you don't want to harm your live site but that's all I would use it for. As they all said domains don't cost much.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:12 PM

Some friend of mine recommended serversfree dot com for free hosting. I didn't tried it yet, but he talks very warm about it. With free good hosting you should be able to afford a dot com domain name at $9 a year. You should invest at least that for your business.

Rolf

Old 02-19-2013, 05:14 PM

Agreed I recently myself have moved to GoDaddy fully I was having to many issues and their domains are pretty cheap

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum

Closed Thread