Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum

Blogging Forum Discuss general blogging issues here - design, integration, posting, trackbacks, ETC. Also discuss blogs you like.

Share |
Old 03-08-2013, 09:20 AM

Where should i start?

I'm not new to blogs, I've commented on many but never actually gotten to run my own. So where does someone start out? I've seen popular blogs run off blogger/wordpress hosted sites, some popular tumblr blogs too, and then many self hosted blogs.

Where do you start and why is it best? Do I buy a domain and host it myself? Or do I start the blog off somewhere like Tumblr/Blogger then migrate to self hosting when I've let my blog grow a little?

I guess I'm just wondering what the benefits are of shelling out a pretty penny to begin with as apposed to starting small and free based.

Been reading this section for a good couple hours now and I'm flah'ed out, gonna wait to hear what you all got to say about this

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-08-2013, 09:39 AM

Look dude, a lot of people ask this question before starting out, but there's no real answer, it comes down to preference and budget.

If you have the money to buy a domain and hosting, and can commit to renewing the domain and hosting every year then that's what you should do. It gives you more flexibility over your blog, how you monetize the content and earn, it also gives you security, something free blogs can't give you.

So for you and anyone else that might read this, here's a rundown.

Pros to hosting your own blog:
  • You have full control over the theme/design
  • You can optimize it however you like using a ton of free plugins
  • You can expand your blog as it grows
  • You look legitimate with your own domain
  • You own your traffic

Cons to hosting your own blog:
  • Yearly costs, when you begin blogging, expect to make little to no cash first year round, so those costs are on you.
  • You have to make sure you keep your blogs patched to avoid getting hacked/defaced
  • You don't have that initial authority mini boost from hosting on popular free blog cms providers and your name is brand new so you have to get it ranked and struggle a little
  • There's no community so you won't get any immediate exposure

Pros to using free blog hosts:
  • It's free
  • Most free blog hosts are part of a community so you get some free advertising/traffic. take Tumblr for example, millions may view a post you make if it goes slightly viral or if the right person likes it and tags it, something that happens often.
  • You don't need to worry about updates and security breaches as blogger/tumblr/wp and other popular cms providers are very hard to hack, so you're relatively safe with regards to hackers
  • You get a very slight but noticeable serp push and indexed faster than you would using a brand new domain simply due to the providers main domain authority. It's really minor but noticeable.

Cons to using free blog hosts:
  • You don't own jackshhit
  • You don't own your blog
  • You don't own your content
  • You don't own your traffic
  • Your blog can be shutdown for an array of things including false reports of url and more
  • You look cheap, and so does your blog, no matter how cool your content is
  • You are limited as to how you expand your blog and how you can monetize it

Old 03-08-2013, 10:44 AM

Mate you're just throwing shapes now! haha! That's amazing, seriously thank you very much for that in-depth reply, I could have read every useless post in this section and not gotten all of what you said out of them threads.

No way i'll go with a free hosted blog now, I can pay a little for a year long hosted blog to get things started and by the end of the year I'll know where I stand, either I have a good vibe about where it's headed or not and I'll decide then I guess on whether to keep it going or not. Really appreciate the help Perky, thanks!

Old 03-08-2013, 10:48 AM

You're welcome dude, but even if you don't start earning money at the end of the year like you put it, don't just give up. I'm sure if you write for a few months and monetize your content using adsense or something you'll easily make the yearly renew fees to begin with. goodluck and glad i could help

Old 03-08-2013, 01:05 PM

I just had a go and looked up what it would cost me to register a domain and get hosting for a year, it'll set me back over a $100 USD Is that right or are their cheaper alternatives?

Old 03-08-2013, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIrish View Post
I just had a go and looked up what it would cost me to register a domain and get hosting for a year, it'll set me back over a $100 USD Is that right or are their cheaper alternatives?
If you want to start only one blog, I recommend you to use SiteGround. My blog costs me $18 for starting up: $9 for domain and $9 for unlimited hosting (for one domain for the first year) from SiteGround.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonPageOne View Post
If you want to start only one blog, I recommend you to use SiteGround. My blog costs me $18 for starting up: $9 for domain and $9 for unlimited hosting (for one domain for the first year) from SiteGround.
Yes it's cheap to start a self hosted wordpress blog using a free theme but in the future if you serious about blogging, you might want to invest some money into it.

I actually wrote a blog post about how much it costed me to start my blog and got into the details of the stuff I used.

First day of creating the blog I spent $116.94.

That included:

StudioPress theme/genesis framework (Although I upgraded for a few hundred and get all themes/unlimited updates for life)

Websynthesis.com (custom hosting $27 a month) I did use hostgator in the past which is a good shared web host for a blog.

Domain (same price as yours)

As I got more and more into blogging, I started to spend money on the blog. This my investment and my baby, I'll spoil my baby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIrish View Post
I'm not new to blogs, I've commented on many but never actually gotten to run my own. So where does someone start out? I've seen popular blogs run off blogger/wordpress hosted sites, some popular tumblr blogs too, and then many self hosted blogs.

Where do you start and why is it best? Do I buy a domain and host it myself? Or do I start the blog off somewhere like Tumblr/Blogger then migrate to self hosting when I've let my blog grow a little?

I guess I'm just wondering what the benefits are of shelling out a pretty penny to begin with as apposed to starting small and free based.

Been reading this section for a good couple hours now and I'm flah'ed out, gonna wait to hear what you all got to say about this
Perky has mentioned what I would of basically mentioned but he said it a lot better then I would of.

If you serious about running your own blog and want full control over it, go with the self hosted WordPress blog. You can buy a domain from either namecheap.com or godaddy in which is where I only buy my domains.

You have to renew the domain once a year which is dirt cheap. The only monthly cost you will have with a self hosted wordpress blog is the web hosting. You could pay monthly, quarterly or yearly... depends on payment plans with the web host that you pick.

Go with shared web hosting, I went with a more expensive one eventually because I felt it was the best decision incase I make major changes that go viral. I'll have the room to grow. lol

Old 03-09-2013, 03:05 AM

snakeair answered your question there, buy the domain and get a yearly hosting plan that is good but affordable. Remember, you get what you pay for, so if you really want to give blogging for a living a shot and want to earn from it, then make that initial investment, it will pay off if you follow it up with hard work, patience and dedication.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:48 AM

Alright thanks guys. A small investment it will be! You've all been really helpful and it's appreciated

Old 03-09-2013, 12:47 PM
Contributing Member

My suggestion will be first start it with free hosting providers like blogger or wordpress......and after sometime move it to a custom domain.......Wordpress is really good because of its plugins and Blogger has the blessings of Google......so choose wisely.......

Old 03-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya Dey View Post
My suggestion will be first start it with free hosting providers like blogger or wordpress......and after sometime move it to a custom domain.......Wordpress is really good because of its plugins and Blogger has the blessings of Google......so choose wisely.......
Did you read Perky's post before replying? I am also not a fan of free blog's. To me, it means you are cheap and not serious about starting a blog. You have more control if you have your own domain, own web hosting account and wordpress.org blog. Right from the get-go, you can do what ever you want with your blog and put up ads/affiliate links on it without violating any "free blog" guidelines that could get your blog deleted in a snap of a finger.

Read the post below.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perky View Post
Look dude, a lot of people ask this question before starting out, but there's no real answer, it comes down to preference and budget.

If you have the money to buy a domain and hosting, and can commit to renewing the domain and hosting every year then that's what you should do. It gives you more flexibility over your blog, how you monetize the content and earn, it also gives you security, something free blogs can't give you.

So for you and anyone else that might read this, here's a rundown.

Pros to hosting your own blog:
  • You have full control over the theme/design
  • You can optimize it however you like using a ton of free plugins
  • You can expand your blog as it grows
  • You look legitimate with your own domain
  • You own your traffic

Cons to hosting your own blog:
  • Yearly costs, when you begin blogging, expect to make little to no cash first year round, so those costs are on you.
  • You have to make sure you keep your blogs patched to avoid getting hacked/defaced
  • You don't have that initial authority mini boost from hosting on popular free blog cms providers and your name is brand new so you have to get it ranked and struggle a little
  • There's no community so you won't get any immediate exposure

Pros to using free blog hosts:
  • It's free
  • Most free blog hosts are part of a community so you get some free advertising/traffic. take Tumblr for example, millions may view a post you make if it goes slightly viral or if the right person likes it and tags it, something that happens often.
  • You don't need to worry about updates and security breaches as blogger/tumblr/wp and other popular cms providers are very hard to hack, so you're relatively safe with regards to hackers
  • You get a very slight but noticeable serp push and indexed faster than you would using a brand new domain simply due to the providers main domain authority. It's really minor but noticeable.

Cons to using free blog hosts:
  • You don't own jackshhit
  • You don't own your blog
  • You don't own your content
  • You don't own your traffic
  • Your blog can be shutdown for an array of things including false reports of url and more
  • You look cheap, and so does your blog, no matter how cool your content is
  • You are limited as to how you expand your blog and how you can monetize it

Old 03-09-2013, 11:04 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
Did you read Perky's post before replying? I am also not a fan of free blog's. To me, it means you are cheap and not serious about starting a blog. You have more control if you have your own domain, own web hosting account and wordpress.org blog. Right from the get-go, you can do what ever you want with your blog and put up ads/affiliate links on it without violating any "free blog" guidelines that could get your blog deleted in a snap of a finger.

Read the post below.
Hmmm I do agree with ya that self hosted wordpress blogs are way better than the free blogs.....I haven't seen any successful webmasters running a free blog....so it is very much true....I've just said that on a starting guide go with a free blog....learn the things....Do's and Don'ts.......then start investing.....and running a self hosted blog.....

Old 03-15-2013, 05:01 AM

You can create your own blog in your desirable sites but first you need to sing up on those sites and when the sing up process complete they send you the confirmation email you can confirm your email and then start create bloging.

Old 03-18-2013, 02:01 AM

what are you going to blog about?

any ideas?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum