Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum

Blogging Forum Discuss general blogging issues here - design, integration, posting, trackbacks, ETC. Also discuss blogs you like.

Share |
Old 07-25-2013, 04:08 PM
Contributing Member

Talking Is black font color a must for blog posts?

I see all blogs prefer black fonts for their articles. But is it just a preference or they have to? I've learned a lot of blogging tutorials where it's strongly recommended to use only black fonts and never explained why. But I love dark green, is it bad to put dark green articles on my blog?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-25-2013, 09:31 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zliverus View Post
I see all blogs prefer black fonts for their articles. But is it just a preference or they have to? I've learned a lot of blogging tutorials where it's strongly recommended to use only black fonts and never explained why. But I love dark green, is it bad to put dark green articles on my blog?
Some people are color blind and some are not. Some people don't have good eye site and other colors may be harder for them to read or just seem annoying to them.

Using a different color font and not getting the background color right may just not look good and hurt some peoples eyes.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:31 PM

When you see a blog or other site with beautiful color combinations you will see why the black and white is recommended....

Pretty but hard to read....hard on the eyes...

Old 07-28-2013, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Its all about readability, if users cant be on your site with out straining your eyes then the color doesn't matter is it.

Black font on white background doesn't hurt most of our eyes

Old 07-28-2013, 03:16 AM
Contributing Member

On my blog I like using general black text and a regular font... The main reason for this is so I can add emphasis to certain parts of my blog posts, making them stand out by possibly changing the colour for a sentence, or make it bold... etc.

Old 07-29-2013, 09:05 AM

I think black is the best color.

Old 07-29-2013, 10:48 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
Some people are color blind and some are not. Some people don't have good eye site and other colors may be harder for them to read or just seem annoying to them.

Using a different color font and not getting the background color right may just not look good and hurt some peoples eyes.
Absolutely right. Even if one does a small survey about it, the result will show that the best preferable color should neutral - means black with white

Old 07-29-2013, 11:08 AM
Administrator

The technical explanation is colour contrast.

Quote:
Contrast is the difference in luminance and/or color that makes an object (or its representation in an image or display) distinguishable. In visual perception of the real world, contrast is determined by the difference in the color and brightness of the object and other objects within the same field of view. Because the human visual system is more sensitive to contrast than absolute luminance, we can perceive the world similarly regardless of the huge changes in illumination over the day or from place to place. The maximum contrast of an image is the contrast ratio or dynamic range.

Contrast is also the difference between the color or shading of the printed material on a document and the background on which it is printed, for example in optical character recognition.
Contrast (vision) - Wikipedia

You don't have to go with black and white if you choose and test colour combinations for enough colour contrast.

For example, the OP said they like dark green. Colour number #005D00 (a dark green) will have enough colour contrast if the background is white.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:33 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Sometimes, it's not about what you like, but about what people reading your articles like.

Personally, I still prefer black texts with white background. If readers cannot read your articles with ease (proper font size, font type, colour, etc), it is likely they will be driven off. Other colours are better used on headings, subtitles, etc which are not so important as compared to the main text.

But for all you know, dark green may actually work out. Why don't you try A/B testing and see for yourself if it actually increases time on page or user engagement?

Old 08-01-2013, 01:07 AM

all of you have good ideas. personally I prefer black texts so there is no problem

Old 08-01-2013, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Don't give your visitors a headache only because gray or any other low-contrast font color looked better on the design comps than black.
Contrast Rebellion - to hell with unreadable, low-contrast texts!

Old 08-01-2013, 01:39 PM
The Controversial Coder

You can easily give someone a choice with CSS if you're going to offer other colours. That would offer maximum readability.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:55 PM
Contributing Member

We must use light/mediaum soft and cool colurs for background of webpages however black is good for text or font. You like dark green font of your blog, it is good idea but it must be easily readable with contrast to its background color.

Old 08-05-2013, 08:40 AM
Contributing Member

I like black font color. I find blogs and websites with black font easier to read. So yes I'd say black font is a must.

Chad

Old 08-05-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
As a webmaster/blogger you have the full right to pick the color and font but you must consider if it is easy for users to read. Users will not take strain to read an article on a website with strange and difficult color code. I prefer black letters on white background. It is easy to read.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:59 PM
Contributing Member

I wouldn't say it's a must (lol). It has more to do with contrast and how visible your font color really is?

The majority of websites have a white background, so naturally a black font would be VERY visible.

But, what if your background is black, or blue? Then maybe a white font would make more sense?

It's all about contrast and visibility.

It just so happens that black text is most common.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:30 AM
Contributing Member

Black with a white background is best. If using other colors you have to make sure that you get the contrast right, otherwise it might be too harsh on the eye. I happen to be one of those that have eyes that are sensitive to certain colors and light. And will not strain my eyes. Chances are, I would pass reading that blog, if the color is too harsh.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:27 AM

Color fonts look better and prettier but they are hard to read so i use always black font with white background

Old 08-20-2013, 06:45 AM

Judging by the comments above, it's clear that the majority prefer black on white for readability. I'd recommend you forget about what you like and think about the reader - after all, it's them that you are writing for....

Old 08-20-2013, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

I think black on white or white on black are best eye for most of the people.

Headlines could be colorful sometimes but text is most readable when its black or white with white or black background respectively.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum