Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum

Blogging Forum Discuss general blogging issues here - design, integration, posting, trackbacks, ETC. Also discuss blogs you like.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 09-15-2013, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Do You Put Dates on Your Blog Posts/Articles?

I was looking through articles posted on Biz Sugar and came across this one: Dates on Blog Posts: Should You Keep Them? (BTW: as of this moment he has the date on the post. It was posted today)

I conducted my own test just now after reading this.

Googled "What About Nofollow Links?" which is the title of a blog post I wrote. That blog does not have the original date published on the actual post. It does have "This entry was last modified.." in the meta information at the end of the post plus that particular post has an official update within the post from September this year.

1. In Google - the listing that actually points to the article:
Quote:
7 days ago - There is much confusion about nofollow links around the various forums we visit so today we are going to gather up all the reliable information ...
Which is the same date of the current cache date.

2. In Google - listing for the actual blog
Quote:
What About Nofollow Links? There is much confusion about nofollow links around the various forums we visit so today we are going to gather up all the reliable ...
No date shown.

3. In Google - listing for feedreader
Quote:
Jan 30, 2013 - There is much confusion about nofollow links around the various forums we visit so today we are going to gather up all the reliable information ...
Another feedreader listing:
Quote:
What About Nofollow Links? 2013-01-30. There is much confusion about nofollow links around the various forums we visit so today we are going to gather up all ...
Which is the actual date the article was published and publically available via the RSS feed.

In the above referenced article he talked about removing the date of publication for ranking and bounce rate purposes. (I would agree that information that is time/date specific should include the date and the date the article was last updated. However, if you want to have the "go to site" for information you would be updating the article or putting a note that the info is dated and see the new info over here...)

That theory, IMHO, is flawed.
  • Google does what ever it wants with your results as demonstrated above.
  • I am still on page 1 without quote marks and for parts of the article title

I had removed the published date long ago because I didn't like Google putting the date published when an article was in fact evergreen and/or has been updated. Guess it doesn't matter. Write good content and you will still rank.

So have you tested using dates on your posts and without? If so, what were your findings?

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 09-15-2013 at 03:53 PM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-15-2013, 10:19 PM
Contributing Member

I think you can remove dates from pages but not posts?

Old 09-15-2013, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazal1990 View Post
I can remove the date from both pages and posts with the YOAST SEO plugin. It can be done.

Any thoughts on Basic's question?
Quote:
So have you tested using dates on your posts and without? If so, what were your findings?

Old 09-15-2013, 10:35 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazal1990 View Post
You can remove post dates from anywhere you want (other than the RSS feed) via the template system you are using.

Old 09-16-2013, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

Forget Google. It all comes down to "how useful it is to your visitors"?

Personally, I prefer seeing the date of the posts when I visit other websites, especially in niches/markets that evolves quickly like programming and development.

I hate reading a technical tutorial only to find out it's been written 5 years ago and outdated.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:57 PM
Contributing Member

Agree with StephaneB. Visitors and my self would like read something actual on topics that I'm looking for.

Old 09-17-2013, 01:33 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephaneB View Post
Forget Google. It all comes down to "how useful it is to your visitors"?

Personally, I prefer seeing the date of the posts when I visit other websites, especially in niches/markets that evolves quickly like programming and development.

I hate reading a technical tutorial only to find out it's been written 5 years ago and outdated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaomegalady View Post
Agree with StephaneB. Visitors and my self would like read something actual on topics that I'm looking for.
Did you guys actually read the article and my testing?

All well and good for you say to forget Google. If you show up in the search results with an old date people are not going to read the article according to your wish to read current and not old information, even if it is evergreen.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:34 AM

You can remove dates from posts or pages if you're using wordpress. But why would you want to do that? The date on a article helps the user know its not old outdated content.

Old 09-17-2013, 08:59 AM
Contributing Member

It simply irritates me to find blog posts that don't have a date, so I always add them to my posts. When I'm reading a post, I don't ignore it just because it's old, but I think it's important to know when something was written. Without the date, a person might be reading a post about the "new iPhone," or instructions on how to do something on the newest Windows operating system and get two paragraphs into the article, before realizing that it's the wrong topic. If I land on a page and notice that it's old, I might look on the same site for a more current article. If there is no date, I know that I won't be able to tell, if another article is more current, so I look elsewhere.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:29 AM
Administrator

You guys really don't get why I brought this up, do you.

Old 09-17-2013, 11:41 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
So that you can rank outdated content?

Quote:
Did you guys actually read the article and my testing?

All well and good for you say to forget Google. If you show up in the search results with an old date people are not going to read the article according to your wish to read current and not old information, even if it is evergreen.
Yes I did read it and basically there's not a single good answer. Short answer: it depends on the niche and type of content.

By the way, I looked at some pages with no date on my website and some of them come out with the date of discovery in Google's search results.

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 09-17-2013 at 12:45 PM.

Old 09-17-2013, 12:51 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by StephaneB View Post
So that you can rank outdated content?
No.

All those that have replied so far prefer to have dates on the posts, which I already agreed with for dated/time specific information. But if you have evergreen content, which you keep up to date, you could still loose readership from the search results because Google shows the date published, not the date last updated.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:06 AM

In WordPress if you update a post why not just update the date on it using the Published setting. You may have added new content so why not change the publish date.

To be honest I don't think Google pays a lot of attention to the date on a posts once it is useful.

Last edited by GrangeWeb; 09-18-2013 at 06:06 AM. Reason: typo again

Old 09-18-2013, 07:17 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrangeWeb View Post
In WordPress if you update a post why not just update the date on it using the Published setting. You may have added new content so why not change the publish date.

To be honest I don't think Google pays a lot of attention to the date on a posts once it is useful.
Changing the date published will change your archives.

Old 09-20-2013, 10:18 PM
Banned

I think dates are necessary for articles on your blog. they are must.

Old 09-20-2013, 11:11 PM

yes,why not?

Old 09-20-2013, 11:20 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqsnail View Post
yes,why not?
Did you read the whole thread before responding? or are you on a increase post count mission?

Old 09-27-2013, 04:01 AM

I've left dates in the URL for permalinks on wordpress, but it's more for my own use, so I know how old pages are when I'm looking through stats.

I also notice on other's posts if there's a date, helps me skim though search results pages for fresher material.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:35 AM
Contributing Member

Having dates and times on your posts is a great way to show and prove you wrote the post first, in the event should you need to request removal from another website that scraped it and claiming as their own.

Also since the date does show up in Google index, it makes for pretty solid evidence.

Old 09-27-2013, 09:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dWhite View Post
Having dates and times on your posts is a great way to show and prove you wrote the post first, in the event should you need to request removal from another website that scraped it and claiming as their own.

Also since the date does show up in Google index, it makes for pretty solid evidence.
That is true. However that is not the point of this thread.

My first example is now showing Sep 9, 2013. The date I last updated the post w/ a video from Matt Cutts.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum

Closed Thread