Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum

Blogging Forum Discuss general blogging issues here - design, integration, posting, trackbacks, ETC. Also discuss blogs you like.

Share |
Old 05-24-2014, 06:19 AM
Contributing Member

7 Blogging Beliefs You Interpreted Wrongly

http://www.imjustsharing.com/7-blogg...reted-wrongly/

Quote:
There’s a lot of bad blogging advice out on the internet. There’s also some pretty good advice. However, what I find is that sometimes people are misinterpreting what they’re seeing, and that’s never good.

A major truth is that for every bit of advice someone gives you as to how you should do something, there’s someone who’s violating every one of those principles and succeeding in doing so.
I'm sharing this post, because I came across it on a Google search and I found it to be quite informative and a really well made post. I've also had the chance to talk to the author (Mitch Mitchell) a little and he seems like a pretty awesome person.

Please read his entire post before you reply here.

What are your thoughts on this? Have you ever wrongly interpreted any of these blogging beliefs?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-25-2014, 12:30 AM
Administrator

I don't like reading long blog posts that are not broken up with headings. That being said, I will read a long post if it has information I need.

I have tried a few times to create a schedule for my different blogs (one per day) but it seems life gets in the way despite my truly wanting to write more consistently.

Guess it depends on what you want your blog to be. If you want it to be more of a journal of your life and it is really interesting I guess you have found your niche. He is right though if you pick too narrow of a niche you could run out of things to write about if you can't think of some related avenues to travel down.

I will leave an article with a lot of poor spelling/typos and grammar. The occasional mistake is ok if the rest of the article is well written. I'm sure I have written some stuff that was not well written first time around because I usually find time late at night to write and by then you are so tired everything makes sense.

I usually write naturally. Sometimes when you are writing an instructional post it can be hard to not to appear to be keyword stuffing. After the first draft I usually run the article through a keyword testing tool and if really over done I'll go back and try and say the same thing without the keyword if I can.

On the too many big words part, I would say it depends on the audience you are targeting. If you are writing about something complex then your expected audience would be someone some what familiar with the topic and would know those words would they not?

Blogging can be hard to do if you get a mind block of what to write about. Maybe the way to combat those times is to have some back up articles to post. i.e. write when you are in the mood or have the time and save them for those "can't think of anything to write about" days.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:08 PM
Contributing Member

Blogging is just like everything else in the world: trying to build a connection with a specific group of people. I agree that blogs should be concise and I do believe that it should be clean. For me, I will continuously write without any thinking. It's not until the end when I edit because it creates relatable aspect and personality.

Old 05-28-2014, 10:51 PM
Contributing Member

I like Mitch's work and he does a good job of balancing enticing people to comment but not letting people spam his blog to get those commentluv links.

Old 06-17-2014, 12:54 PM

#2 resonates the most with me. Having a regular posting schedule gives readers a reason to return. That said, it's hard to predict how long visitors will return without finding new content. But like Mitch suggests, it's your blog, and you can post at your own rate. Nice article; I liked his contrarian attitude.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum