Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum

Blogging Forum Discuss general blogging issues here - design, integration, posting, trackbacks, ETC. Also discuss blogs you like.

Share |
Old 09-29-2014, 03:35 AM

When Do You Give Up?

I've been feeling bit low about my blogs lately and wondering when I should throw in the towel.

The first blog is a niche cooking blog that I started about 6 weeks ago. Although I didn't know anything about SEO for the first few posts, I soon learned all about on-page SEO and used it consistently with specific keywords for each post. I also created social media accounts, including a Twitter following of about 1000 (real people, not purchased). The blog is good looking and user friendly. Despite all my effort it only gets about 15 hits a day.

Since the first site was labor intensive (requiring a lot of cooking and photography), I decided to start a second niche food blog about 3 weeks ago so I could have a project that involved research only, no cooking or photography. This niche food blog is also very attractive and user friendly. I don't run social media for it because it's more of an information site than a blog, and honestly there just aren't enough hours in the day for me to do it.

The eventual intent was to sell targeted ad space on the sites, and also to try to publish a book based on the content of the cooking blog, but of course I can't do that until I get some traffic.

I've paid for my own hosting & domains for one year, plus one custom theme, for a total of about $125.

When should I expect some traffic? And when should I give up on the idea of getting any traffic?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-29-2014, 05:27 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Sounds like you need some motivation.

Here is a good blog post to get you started.

http://www.shoutmeloud.com/how-to-mo...motivated.html

Old 09-29-2014, 06:35 AM

Good article. He hits the nail on the head about leaving social media alone and focusing on blogging. The push of social media feels like rolling a rock up the hill and watching it roll back down. I'm fighting hard for maybe 3 clicks a day. And when I look at Google Analytics, they don't even stay and read. The traffic I get from organic search tends to sit and read for a (relatively) long time. But I get so little traffic because I'm not remotely well ranked in search results yet.

Yet other blogging sites go on- and on and on and on- about having 16 social media accounts. I've got Facebook, which no one looks at, Twitter, and Pinterest.

Yes, I'm in need of motivation. But I also need a goal or an endpoint. As in: If I haven't reached X number of visits per day in X number of months, I'll call it quits. I'm wondering, what's reasonable to expect in terms of numbers? Sure, people who write about making money online brag about getting a thousand hits a day within the first two weeks, and good for them- but I know that scale isn't realistic for me. I still don't know what is realistic, though.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:36 AM
Contributing Member

You are getting 15 hits per day for a blog which is just 6 weeks old. That means you will be getting on an average 450 visitors per month, which is very good. I have some blogger friends who get 20 visitors per day for 2 years blog. Compare to those blogger you are very well ahead..

Keep writing on good content.. for 6 months just don't expect to earn from your blog. But if you really want to earn from your blog. Contact some small restaurants or food joints and market your blog and convince them to advertise their banner ads on your website.

Also i want to suggest if you are using shared hosting now, because you have said, you spent $125. In future go for VPS from shared hosting, because shared hosting have limited visitors who can view your website, if bandwidth is exceeded they will be shown a error on the home page.

Important thing: Check some top bloggers and read their experience.

Be unique..
Original content..
Good seo..
Good infrastucture - [Good hosting provider, VPS, backlinks, social media and marketing]

Old 09-29-2014, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jitendrasurve View Post
You are getting 15 hits per day for a blog which is just 6 weeks old. That means you will be getting on an average 450 visitors per month, which is very good. I have some blogger friends who get 20 visitors per day for 2 years blog. Compare to those blogger you are very well ahead..

Keep writing on good content.. for 6 months just don't expect to earn from your blog. But if you really want to earn from your blog. Contact some small restaurants or food joints and market your blog and convince them to advertise their banner ads on your website.

Also i want to suggest if you are using shared hosting now, because you have said, you spent $125. In future go for VPS from shared hosting, because shared hosting have limited visitors who can view your website, if bandwidth is exceeded they will be shown a error on the home page.

Important thing: Check some top bloggers and read their experience.

Be unique..
Original content..
Good seo..
Good infrastucture - [Good hosting provider, VPS, backlinks, social media and marketing]
So 15 hits a day isn't bad at this point? There just aren't any standards to judge by, considering some bloggers comment about getting no traffic and others comment about getting thousands of hits right at the beginning...

Thank you for your response. It helps to talk to people with experience. I'm the only person I know who's blogging at all.

Old 09-29-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
Sounds like you need some motivation.

Here is a good blog post to get you started.
Thanks for the link. I think I am a little demotivated right now!

It's interesting that he says to leave social media alone and focus on blogging. So many articles contradict each other- I can't tell you how many times I've read "You MUST be on 16 Kinds of Social Media for 25 Hours a Day!" and then clicked to a different article and read "Leave It Alone and Blog!"

Arggh!

Old 09-29-2014, 01:39 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Based on what the OP indicates (which is still a bit sketchy), the original poster needs traffic, not a VPS hosting plan.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post
Based on what the OP indicates (which is still a bit sketchy), the original poster needs traffic, not a VPS hosting plan.
Yes, I need traffic. And I also would like to have some sort of benchmark for measuring my traffic against so that I know if I should keep on going.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGadget View Post
So 15 hits a day isn't bad at this point? There just aren't any standards to judge by, considering some bloggers comment about getting no traffic and others comment about getting thousands of hits right at the beginning...
Just because you build it does not mean they will come. It is one of the hardest lessons we must learn at the beginning.

The world is full of honest people, liars and everything in between.

I personally think you are doing well. Unique articles and well tagged photos give you 2 chances to rank in the engines. I often visit a site from an image link that I found.

Old 09-29-2014, 11:15 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMD View Post
Thanks for you reply. I like to debate.. very interesting topic.

I will share my experience as a blogger. I started a web development blog on shared hosting plan. I have almost 70 unique articles. I was getting 45-55 on average daily traffic to my blog. I have good seo and backlinks for my blog.

But i never crossed the traffic more than 100 visitors. I did a audit from a professional company on my blog. I have implemented a script when my website is offline. I came to know that almost 80% of time my site was down and visitors were getting a message "Bandwidth Limit Exceeded". So i changed my hosting from shared hosting to VPS.. and i had good experience after that.. I was getting almost 500% visitors per day.

So i think good hosting does matters... If site is slow and shared hosting have certain visitor limitation for dynamic websites.

Old 09-30-2014, 06:14 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:

So i think good hosting does matters... If site is slow and shared hosting have certain visitor limitation for dynamic websites.
I've used shared hosting for nearly 15 years now. I also host about 35 of my client's sites on the same plans and I've never had any issues exceeding bandwidth causing any website to go down. Slow rendering of web pages has never been an issue either.

Old 10-08-2014, 01:22 AM

I started one of my niche blog 5 months ago. During first 3 months nothing happened. I know some SEO methods but still my targeted keywords were far away than my expectations. No traffic, no money.
But in 4th months something has changed. With few keywords I get to TOP10 in Google search. After 4th month every day was better and better. The only thing I did was add new posts (1 per week). Today I have 5000 visits per month and make money on affiliate links. I have 7 keywords in TOP 3 and 14 in TOP20.
Don't give up. It takes some time but results will come. I did it again with my second blog and succeed. Patient, determination and quality is the key!

Old 10-12-2014, 12:09 PM
Banned

Remember when you wrote your first blog post, with excitement and passion? This is how you should write EVERY blog post for the next 6-7 months. Then everything will take off .

- Daniel

Old 10-13-2014, 06:06 PM
Contributing Member

Firstly, don't listen to anyone who says you SHOULDN'T give up and all that. That's not practical.

My best advice is this - BE REAL WITH YOURSELF.

Do you believe this blog you have is specific enough that you can target or is it about anything and everything (even multiple niches together).

When writing are you writing for passion or because you want to make it work?

These two questions will guide your though and you will be able to decide whether you should quit or not.

Sometimes it is better to lose the battle than the war.

So if you see this is a lost cause then learn the lessons move on and invest those lessons into another blog BOOM!

Hope it helps!

Old 10-15-2014, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

Most businesses take two years to make a profit. An internet business is no different. You have to invest, you have to be patient, and you have to enjoy what you are doing!

You still have a year to start making money!

Old 10-18-2014, 09:56 AM
Contributing Member

first of all decide the niche and stick to that post daily dont expect too much within 6 months improve your on page and off page seo and be on social media and dont give up it is not a one day game

Old 10-18-2014, 12:10 PM
Contributing Member

I also would like to say that...You have two currencies, money and time.

Money can get you bloggers, promoters, ads, web builders, and programmers.

But time can also get you these and you get a new skill when you learn them. Not only is it like having free staff when you learn these tricks it's helping you grow as a person and the best investment long term for your business.

So try to learn a new skill like SEO, web design, ect...

Old 10-21-2014, 12:33 PM
Contributing Member

I would recommend that if you are going to do social media just pick a few accounts. Do not try to be everywhere all the time. It's impossible to do that anyway and you will get discouraged quickly. Is this something that you really enjoy doing? Because if this topic is not enjoyable for you it will be hard for you to make it work. If it is enjoyable for you focus on writing good content. Hang out in cooking forums and groups. Those places will be where your target market is at.

Old 10-25-2014, 12:46 PM

Building a blog is much easier than bring traffic to your blog. Both need time, be patient.

Old 10-27-2014, 05:30 AM

Your site is doing well for how new it is. Cooking isn't an easy market to break into, and your Twitter following is remarkable as well.

You can schedule out tweets to your followers with links to your articles using a tool called Buffer. I use it and it saves a TON of time.

Your book - if you have content already, why not bundle it in a book and use that book to drive traffic to your website? That's exactly what I'm doing with my newest book that I just released on Kindle. In fact, the money from the visitors that the book brought is making more than the book itself!

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum