Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum

Blogging Forum Discuss general blogging issues here - design, integration, posting, trackbacks, ETC. Also discuss blogs you like.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 06-05-2016, 07:11 AM

Does one need HTML knowledge before starting a blog?

Does one need to study HTML before starting a blog?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-05-2016, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillednews View Post
Not really as when you want to add code to your blog theme files, the person giving you the code will tell you where to place it. When ever adding any type of code into your theme files, do a full backup of you blog before so. This way if you accidently copy the code wrong or the code not compatible with your theme, you can revert to the backup you just made few minutes earlier.

I've have learned HTML and CSS on my own throughout the many years blogging from trial and error and just asking people to explain the code to me in details. I like to do things myself on my blog in regards to coding because I like a challenge.

In fact, you don't need to know any HTML or CSS coding at all. The blog post below is long but explains how to use WordPress without needing to know coding to write blog posts/pages.

http://reneeshupe.com/html-guide-for-wordpress-users/

FYI, In self hosted WordPress you can install plugins that do certain things/certain features on your blog so you don't have to touch 1 line of code.

My mom could use WordPress and she in her 60's because she can do anything without having to know coding.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:09 PM
Contributing Member

If you want to develop a blog then yes but if you only need to post articles then no need just learn how post blog

Old 06-05-2016, 03:42 PM
Contributing Member

The short answer is no. But... If you learn some basic HTML it will make it a lot easier to adjust page elements to get a page to look exactly like you want.

Old 06-05-2016, 07:05 PM

In time you will learn some CSS and HTML from constantly reading blogs, reading instruction manuals for plugins/themes you use. Right now, focus on starting your blog and building up an audience before you go adding all the bells and whistles to your blog to make it stand out from the crowd.

If you need help with other stuff related to blogging, please start another thread if its a complicated issue. Lots of members here have been there and done that and will have great advice for you.

Old 06-08-2016, 02:53 AM

Big thanks to you all for your response.

Old 06-08-2016, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

In the beginning no, but I would learn some if I were you. I didn't know any when I started but I wanted to make some adjustments to my blog/site. I use a website builder. Even still, I wanted to get under the hood. It has been really helpful knowing html and I would recommend learning it. You can learn as you go that's basically what I did.

Old 06-09-2016, 02:32 AM
Banned

Basic HTML is enough for blog site. Wordpress is even more friendly and helpful though it has too many plugins and features. You need not write coding for each function. Wordpress helps you according to the theme you select.

Old 06-13-2016, 07:49 AM

If your building your website with WordPress, no you don't need any knowledge in HTML or any online language. That all said and done if you are planning on building out your website in any way shape or form its definitely worth while to learn at least the basics at some point.

Old 06-16-2016, 03:53 AM

It is not Major to someone have HTML knowledge to start a blog

Anyone does not need HTML knowledge before starting a blog. HTML is basically works for template. Now a days anyone can download free template from template websites.

Old 06-17-2016, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

No you don't. There are content management system you can use. The popular one is wordpress, others are joomla and drupal

Old 06-18-2016, 12:20 AM

You need to know and you don't need to know. Let me explain this.

To set up a site, you don't need HTML if you are using a CMS (WordPress, Joomla etc).

But, you'll always need to know some basics like knowing what is an anchor text, how to add a certain analytics code in your website etc. But for all of these, there are plenty of answers if you google them.

As someone here said, you learn by trial and error. You don't need to do a full HTM course now, or something like this, to start a blog.

Old 06-19-2016, 01:17 AM
Banned

You can make a lot of income from your blog, even if you don't know how to write a single line of code of HTML, isn't this so cool?
Nowadays there are a lot of CMS, that can be installed with 1 click such as WordPress (most used), Joomla, Drupal which you can build magnificent websites.
Anyways if you want to have a good career online, I suggest you to learn HTML, because it's so easy

Old 06-19-2016, 05:45 AM

It's still a good idea to learn basic .css and basic .html if you run any type of website and not just WordPress.

Let's say you ask a question in another thread about how to removed unused space below the primary navigation bar on your WordPress blog along with changing the menu bar color.

We would give you some coding to add to certain theme files for example to find a certain piece of code in your styles.css file and replace it with a new line of code. When I was a young blogger and got a piece of code to do what I wanted to do to the blog, I asked questions about the code because I wanted to understand it....etc

This is how I learned some coding as In I ask questions, learn and experiment on a non live blog. Over the years you will eventually pickup on some coding stuff and know what not to do when you are editing your theme files.

if you accidently remove 1 character from a theme file, you may get the white screen of death upon saving the file. This is why you backup your blog before you add a line of code.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:34 PM
Contributing Member

I would suggest you learn even basic HTML as it will be extremely helpful particularly in SEO. Though it is not necessary to maintain a blog.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:26 PM

HTML knowledge is not required in order to run the blog but if you know the basic of HTML it will improve your chance to Rank your blog .brcause this HTML codes play very significant role in SEO

Old 08-02-2016, 09:52 AM
Contributing Member

You don't require any html or development related knowledge to run a site. I had a programmer who could only design in the initial stage of my website development. Then he quit and I had a programmer who is not so good in design but who is an excellent developer.

And, I am completely a starter when it comes to web development and designing. But, being worked with these two programmers has pushed me to learn some basic stuff on design as well as development. Now I manage the most of day to day alterations and updates.

And, I am talking about a website that has more than 80000 pages indexed on google. See it for yourself on Gladwin Analytics.

Trust me, get your hands on. Just backup every file before you upload a new file. Revert it back quickly if something goes wrong. I did this for more than 18 months and I really learnt a great deal in PHP designing and development as well.

Good Luck Man..

Old 08-02-2016, 10:20 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillednews View Post
Hi! I suppose you don't have to study HTML in order to create a blog. All you need is basic computer knowledge and a know-how in wordpress and you'll be able to create a blog where you can feature great contents for everyone to read.

Just make sure to focus creating great articles first to attract a following. And once you have it, you can then focus on monetizing your site with the help of an affiliate company...

Old 08-03-2016, 06:17 AM

Don't forget that you need common sense when creating a blog...

Old 08-11-2016, 01:48 AM

I've only ever tried using Wordpress to be honest with you, but from what I've seen: Literally no knowledge of anything is required. You can just boot it up, and go right at it.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum

Closed Thread