Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum

Blogging Forum Discuss general blogging issues here - design, integration, posting, trackbacks, ETC. Also discuss blogs you like.

Share |
Old 07-15-2016, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

Google Removes Dennis Cooper’s 14-Year-Old Blog, Illustrates Dangers

One reason why I use WordPress.org

Only your web host can shut you down if you violate there policy. My web host makes a backup of my blog daily and I login every few days to download the last few backups to my laptop just as another protection of my data.

Google Removes Dennis Cooper’s 14-Year-Old Blog, Illustrates Dangers of Using a Publishing Service

Quote:
Fans of artist Dennis Cooper are concerned about Google’s mysterious removal of his 14-year-old blog approximately two weeks ago. Cooper, a novelist and performance artist known for his controversial subject material, fears that Google may be censoring his work but hasn’t received an explanation.

After contacting Google via multiple channels, Cooper received a statement about the blog being in “violation of the terms of service agreement.” The site is hosted on Google’s Blogger platform and currently displays a message indicating that it has been removed. His Gmail account has also been removed.
Continued at: https://wptavern.com/google-removes-...ishing-service

Any thoughts on this topic?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-15-2016, 10:50 PM
Administrator

This backs up what I have said for years:
Quote:
the greater problem is entrusting your site’s content to a service that can remove it at any time. This happens every day due to censorship or simply because the company is done experimenting with the service it offered its users and has decided to discontinue it.
(quote from the original article referenced above)

People invest their time building their success on free solutions and then they are suddenly gone... They have to start all over, from scratch.

I don't rely on my web hosting backing up my site either. I have copies of everything on my computer which is also backed up. Over cautious, maybe, but look at what happened to this guy... 14 years of work gone.

I am not familiar with Mr. Cooper's work so can't comment on whether it is censorship or not.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
This backs up what I have said for years:

(quote from the original article referenced above)

People invest their time building their success on free solutions and then they are suddenly gone... They have to start all over, from scratch.

I don't rely on my web hosting backing up my site either. I have copies of everything on my computer which is also backed up. Over cautious, maybe, but look at what happened to this guy... 14 years of work gone.

I am not familiar with Mr. Cooper's work so can't comment on whether it is censorship or not.
This isn't the first time I heard a story like this of lost data and stuff. Something I read years ago had me always moving a backup to my laptop besides having one on the web host.

What if your host got hacked and there was some data loss? Good thing you have that backup on the laptop to use. (I have external HDD)

It's sad that he lost it all and most likely won't get it back even if he sue's Google. Moral of the story is when you use free software in which you have to follow the sites rules or face termination, backup your data. Hard to believe in 14 years, this guy didn't once make a backup or have a backup plan if it was shut down.

Making a big stink of it online won't help his case with Google.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:44 AM
Contributing Member

I also use blogger and make sure to backup my blog from time to time. Backup helps me retain my content and host on another platform if need arises, however, even if you backup the content, the questions remains:

1. what about the SEO efforts one has put in to optimize the site over the years
2. What about the age of the domain that is also a ranking factor in the search engine results
3. what about the reputation you have built over the years and created a brand name.

It is indeed risky to host a blog on a free platform. You are going to lose not only the content but also years of hard work you put in to build online visibility.

Thanks for sharing snakeair.

Old 07-16-2016, 02:06 PM

You must know the rules of blogger because like myself, I read the fine details before I signup for anything or invest my money into something online. I don't want any surprise's so I want to know the rules and regulations so I can not break them.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Blogging Forum