Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Share |
Old 11-26-2009, 08:07 PM

Background images in IE

I'm trying to put together a basic personal homepage using a number of background images, specified in the CSS file. The page works find in both Firefox and Chrome, but none of the images appear in IE7 or IE8.

The temp page can be found at: http://raduza.com/testpage

While this may not be the tidiest way to create this kind of page, the background image problem has me stumped, so this is quickly turning into a learning experience. Any advice would be appreciated!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-26-2009, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Probably because you have confused the heck out of IE with this:
Code:
<div id="header"> <top><a href="#">Top</a></top> <left1><a href="#">Left1</a></left1> <logo><a href="http://simongoudie.com">Logo</a></logo> <right1><a href="#">Right1</a></right1> <left2><a href="#">Left2</a></left2> <name><a href="http://simongoudie.com">Name</a></name> <right2><a href="#">Right2</a></right2> <left3><a href="#">Left3</a></left3> <phone><a href="#">Phone</a></phone> <right3><a href="#">Right3</a></right3> <left4><a href="#">Left4</a></left4> <email><a href="mailto:simon@simongoudie.com">email</a></email> <web><a href="http://simongoudie.com">web</a></web> <right4><a href="#">Rigth4</a></right4> <bottom><a href="#">Bottom</a></bottom> </div>
What were you trying to do with this coding?

Old 11-26-2009, 08:59 PM
Administrator

BTW, if you used the Web Dev toolbar in FF to check your coding on this page, it's wrong. There are 26 errors on this page per the W3C HTML validator (the people who write the specs).

Old 11-26-2009, 09:14 PM

I sliced the image into pieces, then for each piece (ie 'top') set a tag then styled it in the CSS as a background image, all within a centered div. Some of these will have links, and I will clear out the <a href>'s for the ones that don't.

Firefox seems to cope fine with this, IE on the other hand has no idea what I'm trying to do (which could be understandable...). I validated it and received those errors, but they refer to the non-standard tags which I would have thought would be ok, as they are only there to receive styling from the CSS.

Old 11-26-2009, 09:23 PM
v7n Mentor

You can't just make up your own tags! Read-read what htmlbasictutor has told you. Go through the W3 markup validation service and fix those errors:
Get Full Results
Code:
Line 23, column 7: element "top" undefined. Did you mean "input" or "applet"? <top><a href="#">Top</a></top> Line 24, column 9: element "left1" undefined. Did you mean "applet" or "select"? <left1><a href="#">Left1</a></left1> Line 25, column 8: element "logo" undefined. Did you mean "tfoot" or "blockquote"? <logo><a href="http://simongoudie.com">Logo</a></logo> Line 26, column 10: element "right1" undefined. Did you mean "script" or "noscript"? <right1><a href="#">Right1</a></right1>
Instead of those invalid tags consider using:
Code:
<div id="top">
or
Code:
<span id="top">

Old 11-26-2009, 09:31 PM

Aha, so tags I can't make up, but spans and divs (and lists) I can. That should be it then, I'll try rewriting it that way. Thanks for clarifying so quickly.

Just beside the point - given that it displays my, ah, 'custom' tags in Firefox/Chrome, are those browsers doing something extra that isn't technically correct, or is IE not doing something that is correct?

Old 11-26-2009, 11:37 PM
Administrator

Have no idea why FF is rendering this. This is once instance where IE is correct and FF is wrong.

It should have flopped in FF too. You spec'd XHTML 1.0 Transitional in DOCTYPE declaration so it should have been broken.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum