Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 04-20-2010, 03:39 AM

Question Text color not showing up on IE

hopefully this will be easy to answer!

on this webpage:
http://www.vurpocom.it/vptest/regist...eo-abruzzo.php

i have the following code and css written for the 2 lists (see question at the bottom):
Code:
<td class="list-equip1"> <ul class="list-equip1"> <h7>Ripresa: </h7><br /> <br /> <li>Camcorders <h7>SONY PMW-EX1</h7></li> <li>Sistema di ripresa <h7>STEADYCAM</h7></li> <li><h7>GibCRANE</h7> 12 metri</li> <li><h7>Carrello</h7> su binari</li> <li>Microfoni <h7>SENNHEISER, SONY, RHODE</h7></li> <li>Cavalletti <h7>VINTEN</h7></li></ul> </td> <td class="list-equip2"> <ul class="list-equip2"> <h7>Post Produzione:</h7><br /> <br /> <li>Apple FinalCutStudio</li> <li>Adobe After Effects</li> <li>Autodesk 3D Studio MAX</li> <li>Apple Color</li> <li>Adobe Photoshop</li> <li>Autodesk Combustion</li></ul> </td> css: .list-equip1{font-family:"Conduit ITC Light", Arial Narrow, Trebuchet MS, Calibri, Franklin Gothic Book, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:16px; font-weight:bold;} .list-equip1 ul{padding:0px 0px 0px 15px; margin:0px 0px 0px 0px; list-style:none; color:#ffffff;} .list-equip1 li{padding:0px 0px 5px 0px; margin:0px 0px 0px 0px;} .list-equip2{font-family:"Conduit ITC Light", Arial Narrow, Trebuchet MS, Calibri, Franklin Gothic Book, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:16px; color:#ffffff; font-weight:bold;} .list-equip2 ul{padding:0px 0px 0px 15px; margin:0px 0px 0px 0px; list-style:none;} .list-equip2 li{padding:0px 0px 5px 0px; margin:0px 0px 0px 0px;}
so on Mozilla Firefox I get exactly what I want: some of the text is white and some is red (i used h7 to make text red); but on Internet Explorer (latest version) all the text is white!
what have I done wrong?
Is it wrong to use an h within a li?
Should I be doing this a different way to get some of the text to be red?

other info that may be useful to anyone who can help me:
i have used a template to work off of, and at the top of each doc it says: <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
does this mean it's in xhtml? could this have something to do with the problem?

I have named the pages .php because I am using a couple of php "commands" like ...include header...

think that's it. thanks!

Last edited by snakeair; 04-20-2010 at 01:05 PM. Reason: fixed title

Old 04-21-2010, 10:15 AM

bumping this - still looking for answers! thanks

Old 04-21-2010, 10:23 AM
Administrator

The link you provided is broken.

There is no such thing as h7. Headings use h1 through h6. Plus you should not use the heading tags to format text that is not a heading.
Quote:
i have used a template to work off of, and at the top of each doc it says: <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
does this mean it's in xhtml? could this have something to do with the problem?
Yes this tells the browser that the page is coded using XHTML Transitional. And yes it can cause a problem in that the coding you are using is not XHTML Transitional.

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:40 AM

oh wow, thanks! i had no idea. looked it up here: http://www.december.com/html/x1tran/ and i see what you mean!

so I changed h7 to h2 and I used it only for the top text which is kind of a header... and within the list, I just used font color tags in my html code... it was just for this one tiny list, nothing else in the site needs this so i assumed it was easier to do this than to create something in the css for it.

now it works on both browsers.
thanks

Old 04-22-2010, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Quote:
The font element is deprecated.
HTML <font> Tag

Are you using the heading tags is the right order? i.e. h1 is for the title of the page, h2 is for secondary headings, etc. Heading hiearchy is important for the readability of the page, seo and accessibility.

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:22 AM

thanks for the tip about heading tags. I will check into it. I may have mixed them up a bit.
cheers

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum