Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Share |
Old 03-22-2005, 07:51 AM

Watching form

Hey, I have a form to update information in the database, is it possible to check what's changed without pulling the original information out of the database first? so that I can just update what needs updating? or would it be better to just update all the fields, whether they changed or not?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-22-2005, 09:10 AM

Unless you are talking about an unusual case, I don't think it will be a problem to reset a few fields to their current value.

It would probably be slower, and definately more work to do otherwise.

Old 03-22-2005, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeKBuzz
Hey, I have a form to update information in the database, is it possible to check what's changed without pulling the original information out of the database first? so that I can just update what needs updating? or would it be better to just update all the fields, whether they changed or not?
If your database system has triggers and stored procedures support, then you can use that to what you want (and quite a bit more).

Postgresql and Firebird have this functionality. Not sure if the free version of mySQL does. But then, the free version of mySQL is not really a database system, but a glorified flat file system with SQL functionality.

For mySQL you're likely better off just updating all the records. I would be surprised if mySQL performed any writes on records that didn't change.

Old 03-22-2005, 02:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleFella
But then, the free version of mySQL is not really a database system, but a glorified flat file system with SQL functionality.
all databases are technically flat file based.

Old 03-22-2005, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sim
all databases are technically flat file based.
No, they aren't.

Old 03-22-2005, 07:30 PM

Is there a non-free mysql? If so how would I know which one I got... I just got a server that a friend recommended...

Thanx for the advice though, I'll be done with it tomorrow... I'll post it so yall might tell me how to make it more secure etc.

Old 03-22-2005, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Is there a non-free mysql? If so how would I know which one I got... I just got a server that a friend recommended...
Yes, there is. If you use mySQL for commercial purposes then you have to pay license fees. You have to pay them even if you distribute an application without mySQL, but your application cannot function without it.

Version 5 will make mySQL a real database. It will loose some speed of course. It is one of the fastes now only because of the lack of some features critical in corporate environment, ACID compliance, various types of locking, stored procedures etc.
It looks that the license for version 5 may be a little more restrictive. Movement to other databases (posgresql, firebird) is noticeable lately.

Old 03-22-2005, 08:37 PM

So, since I don't run sites that earn money I don't have to pay anything right? or is it like I'm paying because the company I get service from has to pay? I don't think I understand... I've never paid for mysql or heard of anyone that does.

Old 03-22-2005, 09:23 PM

Quote:
So, since I don't run sites that earn money I don't have to pay anything right? or is it like I'm paying because the company I get service from has to pay? I don't think I understand... I've never paid for mysql or heard of anyone that does.
You got it right. If you are leasing web space from some hosting company you are safe. At least for now.

Old 03-23-2005, 04:50 AM

Alright man I appreciate you telling me. Espcially since I really didn't understand what you meant at first ^_^

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum