Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Share |
Old 08-03-2010, 08:39 AM

Question Looking for PHP CMS/architecture suggestions for website revamp

Hi all,

I've inherited a website that currently runs off Drupal 6. We've had our share of problems with upgrade migrations, the way it was initially built, and lack of simple layout flexibility in the current version. Additionally, the existing website uses Subversion. The previous guy was pretty over the top for a one person team.

So I'd like to think outside the Drupal box for a minute and start fresh. Our goal is a marketing-driven website with some dynamic content such as content customized to users who would be able to log in and have accounts. At this point in time, I and another guy would be the sole content editors/developers, so a big fancy CMS may not be necessary.

What would you recommend? Something like Codeigniter? Stay with Drupal and attempt to fix? Some other CMS that's less abstract? A static website that only makes use of a template system like Smarty?

Thanks.

- Matt

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-04-2010, 02:29 PM
Senior Web Developer

I guess all the CMSs have their share of problems when it comes to upgrading. It all depends on how careful you are when customizing it. If you edit some core files to adapt them to your needs then upon upgrade you will start getting errors and application misbehaviors.

Joomla and Wordpress have a streamlined upgrade process but again, if you happen to touch a core file or modify the database, the upgrade will only break your application.

As for Codeigniter, same as CakePHP, ZendFwk,etc. It is not a CMS, but a framework.

It provides all the coding tools you could possibly need for developing, but it doesn't include any pre-coded tools so you will end up creating the CMS component by yourself. But I am not saying that is a bad thing, actually I do prefer a fully customized website than a packaged one. I was merely pointing out that if you were expecting to download CI and find a CMS you'd be disappointed

Whilst CodeIgniter may not be the most sophisticated PHP framework out there (that spot could be filled by ZendFramework or Symfony), I do like the fact that it works on any environment, you don't have to worry about having the latest versions of PHP or libraries in order to deploy your application, you just upload it to the host and it works. Also its footprint is very small compared to the others.

Tell us a bit more about your application, what kind of features you need, in what environment you need to deploy it, etc.

Old 08-04-2010, 03:08 PM

I'm no Drupal expert, but I would stick to this CMS. It's powerful, there's a strong community behind it, and there's many ways to customize it.

Also, if you think about migrating out of Drupal, you should be ready for some serious work...

Old 08-13-2010, 02:17 AM
Banned

Nice Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
I guess all the CMSs have their share of problems when it comes to upgrading. It all depends on how careful you are when customizing it. If you edit some core files to adapt them to your needs then upon upgrade you will start getting errors and application misbehaviors.

Joomla and Wordpress have a streamlined upgrade process but again, if you happen to touch a core file or modify the database, the upgrade will only break your application.

As for Codeigniter, same as CakePHP, ZendFwk,etc. It is not a CMS, but a framework.

It provides all the coding tools you could possibly need for developing, but it doesn't include any pre-coded tools so you will end up creating the CMS component by yourself. But I am not saying that is a bad thing, actually I do prefer a fully customized website than a packaged one. I was merely pointing out that if you were expecting to download CI and find a CMS you'd be disappointed

Whilst CodeIgniter may not be the most sophisticated PHP framework out there (that spot could be filled by ZendFramework or Symfony), I do like the fact that it works on any environment, you don't have to worry about having the latest versions of PHP or libraries in order to deploy your application, you just upload it to the host and it works. Also its footprint is very small compared to the others.

Tell us a bit more about your application, what kind of features you need, in what environment you need to deploy it, etc.
Thank you for your excellent post,I learn more from that!

Last edited by deepakg; 08-13-2010 at 02:20 AM.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:24 AM
Contributing Member

I vote for CodeIgniter/Zend. If you need more complex framework (less code to write) go with CakePhP

Old 08-19-2010, 09:50 AM
Contributing Member

Well if you are looking for a CMS, I'd stick with drupal. If you are looking for a framework, then CakePHP is a good one, but you also have Symfony which I heard a lot of good things about.

Old 08-19-2010, 12:34 PM
Contributing Member

drupal works great for beginners

Old 08-19-2010, 02:41 PM

I use Drupal and Wordpress my first website was build with Joomla.

Upgrading is a process what takes time with every CMS how ever I never had any problems with any of those.

Drupal 7 is almost going live. Why arent you waiting on this? Many features like the backend is improved.

Old 08-20-2010, 02:52 PM
Contributing Member

i have been using joomla for about 2 years now for all my websites and i have never had a problem that i wasn't able to solve thanks to the community joomla has. so i suggest that you use joomla.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum