Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Share |
Old 08-03-2010, 09:15 AM

Unanswered questions

I've read so many PHP tutorials on the internet, but still many things are incomprehensible for me such as how can I make two separate pages that are linked together? (e.g. admin panel and blog page.) or even how to make a real dynamic page such as a simple comment form.

Where can I get guide

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-03-2010, 09:28 AM

You should install a CMS like Wordpress, and step by step, try to understand how it works.

Old 08-03-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbocharged View Post
You should install a CMS like Wordpress, and step by step, try to understand how it works.
I've installed board and blog CMCs, but they all have installers and configuration files. also Wordpress' script is not commented and very old too.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:24 PM

Simple comment:

1. Make MySQL database with a table like the following:
Code:
user_comments (comment_id, comment_data, post_date)
2. Make HTML form:
Code:
<form name="frmComment" method="post" action="<?php echo htmlentities($_SERVER['PHP_SELF']); ?>"><b>Comment:</b> <textarea name="taComment" cols="50" rows="5"></textarea><br /><input type="submit" name="subComment" value="Add Comment &gt;&gt;" /></form>
3. When user submits add comment form:
Connect to MySQL database and add comment in PHP script:

Code:
mysql_connect('localhost', 'user_name', 'user_password'); mysql_select_db('database_name'); // add the comment if(isset($_POST['subComment'])){ // form has been submitted $comment = mysql_real_escape_string(strip_tags($_POST['taComment'])); $datetime = time(); $addme = mysql_query("insert into user_comments values(NULL, '$comment', '$datetime');"); if(mysql_num_rows()==1){ echo 'Successfully added new comment.'; }else{ echo 'Database error. '; } }
Running a quick google I found this: http://www.zimmertech.com/tutorials/...t-tutorial.php

I know this is probably not what you want to read but I definitely recommend just getting in there and learning by trial and error. Play with it, break it, put it back together. Doing so will be more beneficial to your understandings of the technologies and is the best way to learn programming in my opinion. And Google is your friend, use it to find solutions to specific problems you run into...and php.net should be bookmarked as well.

Last edited by Luxmo; 08-03-2010 at 05:31 PM.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:41 PM

Thanks. and then we display the comments on our page using MySql queries?

Old 08-04-2010, 04:29 AM
Super Moderator

Break down what you want to do into smaller objectives as Luxmo did above. Learn how to write each smaller segment and make it work, then combine the steps to achieve a complex operation.

Keep in mind that fragments of scripts from different sites may not play well with each other as there are many different ways to achieve the same objective. When you can identify the problem and correct it you are writing code, not just copying fragments.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurlito View Post
Thanks. and then we display the comments on our page using MySql queries?
Yep, exactly.

Code:
$q = mysql_query("select * from user_comments order by comment_id desc"); while($rw = mysql_fetch_assoc($q)){ echo '<b>'.htmlentities(stripslashes($rw['comment_data'])).'</b><br /><br />'; }
And definitely take into consideration what ScriptMan said above. Get to know how the little things work. Start small...don't even think for a second that you'll be able to jump in and tackle a large project from the start. You'll just get swamped with new things you need to learn. Pace yourself. And definitely know that a lot of fragments of code you'll find across the net have been coded for specific technologies, so they may not work in some cases. For example, the code I wrote will only work for PHP 4+, MySQL 5+, and has only been tested on Linux and windows servers.

Also note that I did little to no security testing with the code (like I didn't check to see if the database connection actually connected and didn't close the connection as well.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:37 AM

Thanks a million. I think I understand how it all works now.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum