Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 08-12-2010, 06:37 AM
Contributing Member

Question automation of tasks

my site, CouponSupreme.com, is 100% manual. How can I speed up the process a bit by automating tasks? Add new stores, new tags, stuff like that. I know python, html, some php, mysql.. which language would be ideal for this project? I'm thinking php

Of course, nothing matches manual work, but it's so darn time consuming :p to put it into prospective, retailmenot has over 65,000 stores, and I'm sure a lot more tags to boot. It takes average 4-5 minutes per store..

And, yet, I need to also focus on SEO / traffic. But who wants to frequent an incomplete coupon site?

any tips, suggestions?

note - this is a longterm project for me. Not going to be a total retailmenot clone, I want to make it a social networking / coupon site in the future

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 08-12-2010 at 10:32 AM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-12-2010, 11:19 AM

Any form of automation to your concept will be detrimental to the quality of content of your site. For example, by creating a robot which scours the net for coupons and stores and adds them to your system would be just about the only way to automate anything...but, remember that unique content should be what you're after...and that's definitely not the way to go about it. If this project really is a long-term project as you say, treat it as such. Do the homework, do the labor, reap the rewards later.

But, there are little things which you could improve or speed-up. Like in your administration, use ajax for content management (example: using slide-out forms to add new data rather than clicking "add" it going to another page with the form; will save at least one page load), minify your code so it loads quicker in browsers, maybe even "bulk" imports for adding content to database tables quickly, etc. Basically, try and make working with your administration interface as easy and painless as possible.

Of course, if you don't care about the quality of your content you can create a robot which scours the net for data to add to the system. I've created a few in the past for clients using PHP.

Old 08-12-2010, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxmo View Post
Any form of automation to your concept will be detrimental to the quality of content of your site. For example, by creating a robot which scours the net for coupons and stores and adds them to your system would be just about the only way to automate anything...but, remember that unique content should be what you're after...and that's definitely not the way to go about it. If this project really is a long-term project as you say, treat it as such. Do the homework, do the labor, reap the rewards later.

But, there are little things which you could improve or speed-up. Like in your administration, use ajax for content management (example: using slide-out forms to add new data rather than clicking "add" it going to another page with the form; will save at least one page load), minify your code so it loads quicker in browsers, maybe even "bulk" imports for adding content to database tables quickly, etc. Basically, try and make working with your administration interface as easy and painless as possible.

Of course, if you don't care about the quality of your content you can create a robot which scours the net for data to add to the system. I've created a few in the past for clients using PHP.
Thanks a lot. I will be looking into ajax I don't want to mess with the quality, that's for sure. but I would love to use some of your suggestions!

Old 08-12-2010, 11:49 AM

Definitely take a look into:
jQuery
Script.aculo.us (recommend using Effect.toggle with blind effect for sliding data)

Old 08-12-2010, 12:33 PM

And definitely make a submit form so businesses can submit their coupons! I was about to add some of our (Luxmo.com) coupons but there's no interface for it.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Closed Thread