Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Share |
Old 08-20-2010, 11:56 AM

Question Problems with code - New display upon click or refresh?

Hey guys,

Let me explain a little in what I'm trying to do.

Basically, there will be a main page, and a submit text page.

The main page will have a random text pulled and displayed, the user can do 1 of 2 things to change the random text on the page by either "Refreshing" or clicking "Next"

That is where I am stuck, I can't get random text to be pulled from the database, I probably don't need the db at all, but it was for management purposes.

Also, I'm stuck on the "Submit your own text" page. I want the text they submit to be manual approval, but upon approval, I want it moved to the database.

If you think a database is not worth the time, I would be more than happy just manually adding it to a list of text that the main page would call to to gather the random text bit displayed.

If none of this makes sense, please, I'm more than happy to answer questions.

Thanks v7n

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-20-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hostie View Post
Hey guys,

Let me explain a little in what I'm trying to do.

Basically, there will be a main page, and a submit text page.

The main page will have a random text pulled and displayed, the user can do 1 of 2 things to change the random text on the page by either "Refreshing" or clicking "Next"

That is where I am stuck, I can't get random text to be pulled from the database, I probably don't need the db at all, but it was for management purposes.

Also, I'm stuck on the "Submit your own text" page. I want the text they submit to be manual approval, but upon approval, I want it moved to the database.

If you think a database is not worth the time, I would be more than happy just manually adding it to a list of text that the main page would call to to gather the random text bit displayed.

If none of this makes sense, please, I'm more than happy to answer questions.

Thanks v7n
Random row select with mysql:
Code:
select * from tableName order by rand() limit 1
And about your moderation/approval process...pretty much the only way to do so would be to use a database...at least the most efficient way would be to use a database. You would basically setup a table for the submissions, then write a back-end process where you would view those submissions then when you approve them they get inserted into another table which would be the main table, or you could simply have a field within the main table which would be like "active" or whatever you want to call it and if it's "1" the text would be live on your site, otherwise it would be pending moderation (not live/active). Hope this helps.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum