Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Share |
Old 09-26-2010, 05:22 PM

ugh... RTML workaround - iframe, uframe, XHR...

Hello Again Wise Ones,

I'm trying to add an externally coded navigation bar to my domain so that it doesn't clutter the actual pages' code and so that I can edit the navbar without having to go and edit each and every page individually.

My server/shopping cart/thorn in my ass is Yahoo. They don't have SSI. They have RTML instead, which is virtually a trade secret to learn to use. I don't have time to learn it by ordering a book and inching along, and I don't have money to pay somebody else to do it for me.

I have tried <iframe...>, but it doesn't allow the pulldown menus to be readable or usable when they overlap to main content. Click Here for example page. I looked into uframe, but I don't think I want to require javascript for navigation because of load time, browser compatibility, and my general ignorance of JS.

I need some kind of navigation for my site without visitors having to go to the homepage to use it, but I also need to get up to par with everybody else so far as coding and maintenance efficiency. I've read that there's some way to do this with PHP, but I don't know PHP any better than I know Batswana.

Any suggestions are welcomed. If anyone knows where I can find any ready to use code for an external-file pulldown navbar without SSI, please let me know.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-27-2010, 11:46 AM
Contributing Member

PHP allows you to include() or require() source code files within documents. It's exactly what you need and it's very straightforward, but strictly speaking it's still an SSI so check your Yahoo small print.

Old 09-27-2010, 11:50 AM

That's what I see on my host control panel.

Old 09-27-2010, 04:59 PM

My understanding is that I add something like:

<html>

<head>
<link href="menu.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />
</head>

<body>
<div class="menu">
<?php include("menu.php"); ?>
</div>
</body>

</html>

...and it will insert the html coding from the PHP file into the div and still use the specified CSS file linked to in the <head>. The HTML is just a UL list with <a...> links.

Is this correct? If so, can you please point me to a resource that shows how I can convert my drop-down navbar html to PHP format? When I look to PHP instruction resources, they all seem to have waaaaaay too much information for my simple purpose of just including an external piece of simple HTML.

My server offers PHP 4 and 5, but no specified SSI. Everyone says that Yahoo has no SSI function... but they have PHP... I'm now very confused. I guess I need to try making some SHTML files and see what I can make it do with them while I wait for a response to this post.

Many thanks in advance to responders!

Old 09-27-2010, 07:16 PM

I got it worked out. Thanks again for the helpful info, Uncle Dog!

(Yahoo does support simple SSI... I don't know why so many people say that it doesn't.)

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum