Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Share |
Old 10-06-2010, 12:00 PM
v7n Mentor

HTML5 & The Future of HTML

I just came across this Developer World news article W3C: Hold Off on Deploying HTML5 in websites.

Quote:
"I don't think it's ready for production yet," especially since W3C still will make some changes on APIs, said Le Hegaret.
Although I'm not worried because HTML5 is already being supported by Chrome, Safari, etc but this is something to take seriously:

Quote:
"What's happening is the industry is realizing that HTML5 is going to be real," said Le Hegaret
What do you think as a developer? Will API changes introduced create any kind of backward-compatibility issues?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-08-2010, 03:54 AM
Contributing Member

Doubtful.

The main problem isn't backwards compatibility. It's interoperability between browsers. Since they have gone back and made changes more than once different browsers are at different stages of support for the HTML5 standard.

I think this is going to go down the same way that DRAFT 802.11n went down. You're going to see lots of partial and slightly different implementations across many browsers and it will take some time for things to settle down.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:50 PM
Administrator

A commentary on the article referenced in the opening post of this thread: The W3C and the “HTML5 Isn’t Ready” Backlash

Old 10-13-2010, 01:44 AM
v7n Mentor

Yes, I read that yesterday. Thanks for posting the link here. But the original Developer World article was enough to convince a few managers that they should stay away from HTML5 for any serious project.

When you're trying to promote cutting edge technologies in your company, news like this only creates more trouble for your efforts.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

I am no coder but think this blog post might be useful to some folks. Feel free to add onto it.

From Mashable.com:

Quote:
There’s been a lot of talk lately about HTML5 and confusion about what it is, what can be done with it today, the best way to learn it, etc.

With so much hype in the marketplace, I wanted to tackle the questions we hear most from creative professionals who want to take advantage of HTML5 but are unsure about how to get started.
Continued at: http://mashable.com/2010/10/14/html5...per-questions/

Old 10-14-2010, 10:23 PM
Administrator

These don't work if the user has scripting turned off as some do for security reasons.
Quote:
-You can take it a step further by using the new HTML5 elements today with a combination of JavaScript and some CSS to ensure compatibility with older browsers.
-Developers can leverage JavaScript libraries such as Modernizr that take advantage of emerging technologies (HTML5, CSS3) while providing control over older browsers that may not support this functionality.
http://mashable.com/2010/10/14/html5...per-questions/

Old 10-16-2010, 01:25 PM
Senior Web Developer

I began using the basics of HTML 5 (header, footer, nav, aside, etc...) in some projects with a javascript that fixes incompatibilities with Internet Explorer and so far I've had good results with it.

HTML 5 may not be ready but some of its elements are definitely going to stay and I don't see anything wrong with using them if they are available.

Old 10-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Contributing Member

The whole "Hold off using html5" is silly.

Without using it, How will we figure out whats wrong and what needs adding?

I use HTML5 extensively for my google chrome app. ( like the html5 desktop notifications )
I know that the browser supports HTML5 and i know that ONLY chrome users will be using it.

This way i get to play with its features, Create a great app with extra features and know that they will work on 100% of users computers.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:33 PM

HTML 5 looks very promising.
I have created some sites with the new tags (head,aside,footer) and as @Hades mentioned, had good results.

I have also heard rumors that the search engines may give "extra love" to the sites with the new tags. This has yet to be denied or confirmed, but it makes it easier to determine what is article content, and what is your footer.

I guess more will be revealed as it is rolls out to the other browsers.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum