Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 10-29-2010, 05:41 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Question How to make faster pages?

Hello,

I am working on a new site and my biggest problem is that the .htm files are too large and that the pages load very slowly...

I believe you have better experience than I do, so I am here to ask some advice

I am having trouble with codes and also in placing images on my pages:

1) does a page load faster if I put background buttons instead of "inserting" the buttons in it?

2) does the page extension count in loading speed? .cfm, .htm, .php? (I am using old .htm, by the way!)

3) I am using multiple tables per page and I know that is making it slow down... how much better is it with DIV tags?
(I still think tables are more comprehensive, because I am building in Dreamweaver)

4) would it count if I'd put my .jpg image files on another domain? I could theoretically put external sources for photos, but would that make it faster?

5) I am using CSS... some say I should put the CSS "<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="style.css"/>" at the end of the HTML code, adter the </BODY> tag
Would that help?

Any other ideas, tips on making pages load faster, but still look good graphically?

Thank you in advance, my friends!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-29-2010, 09:25 AM
Coding Tiger
Latest Blog:
None

1. maybe
2. page extension doesn't count, or at least it shouldn't be. what it counts though is the content of that file. if there's a lot of code to be processed then it might slow down your website
3. tables can do better than divs in some cases, the problem with tables is that if there are more tables inside another one then it might not be properly displayed in those screen readers some people with disabilities might use for browsing the web
4. not necessarily...
5. you're using css, that's very good. some say that you should put your css filea at the end of your body tag...really?? you might got that wrong...maybe..the css file should be loaded in the head tag, before any js files are included. The js file should be loaded at the and of your body tag, if they're big, otherwise leave them in the header.

In your case, I'd recommend you to use a template engine, if you aren't already and use the cache methods. Caching is the one that will help your website gain speed, nothing else that much.

hth

Old 10-30-2010, 12:59 AM

I suggest to install the Pagespeed plugin for Firefox and follow his tips

Old 10-30-2010, 01:09 AM
Banned
Latest Blog:
None

file size of those images matter too.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:37 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Sure, I pretty much knew that the file size counts

But, from those of you who have more experience with DIVs (I am trying to learn them now): how much faster are DIVs when compared to TABLE?

I will be building a large structure for a complex site: about 16 "cells"/sections (DIVs now, whatever)... this time with DIV, not TABLE. Of course, CSS too

How much faster can this get? In percent... like 200%, 50%, 30 %?

Old 11-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Administrator

Each table you create makes the browser "stop and think" before rendering. It has to figure out the table layout before rendering it in the page.

In Learn to Design HTML Tables with Less Code I demonstrated that just moving presentation attributes from your table coding could reduce the file size by 10% in the demonstration simple table.

If you went with divs, you could reduce this further if you plan your divs and CSS properly.

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 11-02-2010, 01:12 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

OK, thank you for the advice, I really appreciate that!

Old 11-02-2010, 02:55 AM

At gtmetrix.com you can scan your website and see what you could do to make your website faster. I got mine down to about 0.7 seconds this way.

Allso a good hosting is a must.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:56 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Thank you, that site seems to be very interesting!

Please, tell me your opinion regarding loading time:

1) Use many small fractions to load an image or use 1 single file to display it?

2) I would like to use table and DIVs as well. I need to put a table, which contains an internal searcher.
Is it a big deal if I have the table above the main content?

3) External source code for AdSense and other ads... would this speed it and reduce file size?

4) Any ideas on approx. how much place (kb) and time (sec) does a text link take? I would have about 50-60 on this big page... Mainly internal.

5) Repeating pattern background (I used them to make nice frames for some of my tables... )... I would like to use another technique, but so far the background-repeat of the .jpg in the CSS was the best idea I had so far...

6) Have you ever tried the new WebP image format over .jpg, .png? Any ideas on how to make even small... 200x133 px images load faster?
How come WordPress shows .jpg so fast and on my site they load like on "Atari"

Old 11-02-2010, 02:19 PM

Maybe you did not safe them for the web ???

Old 11-03-2010, 01:37 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

What do you mean?

Old 11-03-2010, 09:37 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

I have one website here were I draw large amounts of scripts and images. I drastically increased my load speed by placing scripts on sub-domains. Browsers are limited to 2-4 http request per domain at a time, you can trick the browser by using sub-domains, ever wonder what that "ww1".crazyfnsite.com was all about? Now you know.

Also image spriting merges several images into one file and using css you can call and differentiate the images.

Another note about the css. If you keep all css info on the page, not in a seperate file, that can increase speed as well, and not in the footer, you need that stuff to load first.

Finally compression, you GZip your site and increase your load time by another %10 or more.

Except for the first method, the others require some serious explaining, if you Google it you can find multiple tutorials.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:38 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmvictoria View Post
Another note about the css. If you keep all css info on the page, not in a seperate file, that can increase speed as well, and not in the footer, you need that stuff to load first.
Disagree with this point. Using an internal stylesheet or inline styles creates a larger web page file and a maintenance problem. However, if you use an external stylesheet (sep file refered to in the head of your pages) this reduces web page file size, makes things easier to maintain as you only have to update in one spot and the external stylesheet is kept in memory while the visitor is on the site instead of the browser having to read and parse your internal and inline styles over and over again.

Old 11-03-2010, 08:57 PM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
Using an internal stylesheet or inline styles creates a larger web page file and a maintenance problem.
I completely agree. Thank you for pointing that out, but if you have 1 big page and unique styles just for it, you can reap benefits of putting the style in the same page. %1 - %5 speed increase, especially if you are using those table <div>'s.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:17 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Another dilemma, idea... About making pages faster.

When coding my site's main button field DIV, this occurred to me (you tell me what you think!):

Instead of inserting the .jpg buttons directly into the .HTM file, I was wondering if it were faster if I'd use multiple background images (with no repeat) for those buttons, but in CSS.

The idea would be: there would be less requests from the browser opening the page if all the instructions were in the CSS...

So the CSS would place those buttons one by one into the DIV cell as backgrounds!

You think this would be faster than conventional inserting? Or is this idea jsut a waste of time?

Old 11-04-2010, 07:55 AM
v7n Mentor
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelev View Post
Instead of inserting the .jpg buttons directly into the .HTM file, I was wondering if it were faster if I'd use multiple background images (with no repeat) for those buttons, but in CSS.
You are basically talking about image spriting.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:24 AM
Administrator

davelev, yes that would be a better idea on many levels.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum