Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 01-15-2011, 03:03 AM
Contributing Member

Disadvantages of HTML5

What are the disadvantages of HTML5?

Old 01-15-2011, 12:51 PM
Latest Blog:
None

For me its only one. Lack of support for all browser. We will see how fast IE9 replace old Microsoft browsers. For my personal project its not a problem, but for my clients every user is important so I stay with XHTML/HTML4.

Old 01-15-2011, 12:58 PM
Contributing Member

HTML5 doesn't seem to have any disadvantage.

sandossu here

Old 01-15-2011, 01:45 PM

I agree with Xelos.

From what I've heard the only real disadvantages are compatibility and resource usage (but this will only be an issue for ancient computers anyway). HTML5 is set to revolutionise the way we all use the web, its just a shame its probably going to be a decade or so before we all start to see websites adopting the majority of the HTML5 goodness

Old 01-17-2011, 01:21 AM
The Controversial Coder
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandossu View Post
HTML5 doesn't seem to have any disadvantage.
Unless you care about Accessibility which you should, then at the current point in time it has a large number of disadvantages. I suppose at least IE doesn't prompt a download for HTML5 as it does with a true XHTML document.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:55 PM

There is only one Disadvantage of HTML5 that it is not yet supported by Internet Explorer. HTML 5 is Provides very Nice Facility to Developer such as Support offline, Web & video and advanced forms.

Old 01-18-2011, 06:11 PM
Contributing Member

HTML comes with many great features.

Only that we expect browsers adopt it soon.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:57 PM
Administrator

How about:
-a lot of the specification is still in Working Draft mode HTML 5 Updates

-there are still quite a few bugs

-this note on the Editor's Draft of the specification:
Quote:
Implementors should be aware that this specification is not stable. Implementors who are not taking part in the discussions are likely to find the specification changing out from under them in incompatible ways. Vendors interested in implementing this specification before it eventually reaches the Candidate Recommendation stage should join the aforementioned mailing lists and take part in the discussions.
HTML5 Editor's Draft 18 January 2011

HTML Basic Tutor - Learn how to code for better SEO
Basic Computer Information - Computer & internet basics for website owners

SEO troubleshooting and review services available. - Pm me.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:48 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Yes, I am also agree above given answer just it affects the browser compatibility.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:00 AM
Latest Blog:
None

HTMLBasicTutor hard to not agree with your points but from other hand HTML5 developers should see that there is huge need for new HTML version, and a lot of developers are willing to use it even then its not ready. In my opinion they should give some sort of stable version as soon as possible, if not they can miss the "big boom" on it. Definitely we can't wait to 2022

Old 01-19-2011, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Using HTML5 at this stage in a controlled enviroment (e.g. an intranet) is fine. It helps work out the bugs.

But to use it in public and use hacks to get the pages to work for browsers that don't support this new standard is just plain silly IMHO. Unnecessary work and bloated coding just to be cool.

We go through this every time there is something new. People rushing into new technology before it's ready for general public use.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:43 PM
The Controversial Coder
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
Using HTML5 at this stage in a controlled enviroment (e.g. an intranet) is fine. It helps work out the bugs.

But to use it in public and use hacks to get the pages to work for browsers that don't support this new standard is just plain silly IMHO. Unnecessary work and bloated coding just to be cool.

We go through this every time there is something new. People rushing into new technology before it's ready for general public use.
This mainly - what I would like to see however, is people utilizing HTML5 by creating a HTML5 version of their website, but giving users a choice to view it in HTML5 after you have loaded the website, that to me would ease the majority of my accessibility issues.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:28 AM

Yes, the main disadvantage is that it will be a long time before the market penetration of HTML 5 capable browsers will make good commercial sense for developers over, say, Flash which has 95%+. IE 7 and IE 8 still have about 40-50% of the market and we all saw how long IE 6 took to 'die'. My guess 4-5 years before HTML5 features can be developed without consideration to alternative \ fallback non-HTML 5 content.

Old 01-24-2011, 06:13 PM

Another disadvantage: It could easily provide a new vector for a malware attack. I'm not sure why there doesn't seem to be much discussion about how secure HTML 5 is. Or maybe I'm not looking in the right places.

Old 01-28-2011, 07:46 PM
Administrator

Quote:
It has been claimed that HTML5 will do a lot to improve the accessibility of web content and web based applications. In theory this is true. The introduction of new form controls in HTML5 is promising, because developers will have to do less bolting on of accessibility information themselves, as it will hopefully have been bolted on by the browser vendors.

The current accessibility support implemented in browsers lags behind their implementations of the sexy new features themselves. These are still early days in the implementation of HTML5 features, so lets keep our fingers crossed that Google, Apple (Safari on Windows) and Opera will get their acts together to provide at least a basic level of HTMLsupport in their browsers for assistive technology users. Equally it is hoped thatMozilla and Microsoft will strive to have their rate of accessibility support match their rapid implementation of the new HTML5 features.
HTML5 Accessibility Challenges - Steve Faulkner

Old 01-28-2011, 08:32 PM

There is no such disadvantage with html5.The only problem you will face while using html5 is that not all browsers fully supports it.Until w3c officially announces it for production and live system uses you can not be fully depended to html5.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:27 AM

Lack of support by browsers is a big hurdle..

Old 02-02-2011, 04:47 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Backward compatibility could be an issue. Some people still use older browsers...
Take this into account...

Old 02-02-2011, 11:50 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelos View Post
For me its only one. Lack of support for all browser. We will see how fast IE9 replace old Microsoft browsers. For my personal project its not a problem, but for my clients every user is important so I stay with XHTML/HTML4.
That's the thorn that's constantly in the foot of almost all web developers. How to design and make use of modern coding technologies whilst at the same time making the site compatible with older browsers.

We still have to code for IE6 to this day because around 3% of the visitors still use IE6.

Old 02-03-2011, 10:50 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Basic animation and media features

Lack of good tooling to be productive in developing large sized HTML 5 applications

Very limited support for media formats

User may need be connected to use an HTML 5 application

Inconsistencies of HTML being implemented between web browsers (different parts of the standard are implemented)

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum