Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Share |
Old 01-07-2006, 07:10 AM
v7n Mentor

rentacoder.com?

Has anyone used this before? If so, what has been your experience?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-07-2006, 09:09 AM
v7n Mentor

I used to do scripting for a company that used that, it seems alright, but v7n.com/marketplace will be much better

Old 01-07-2006, 09:34 AM
v7n Mentor

how fast do people reply to v7n marketplace though? 2 weeks max is the amount of time I can spare.

Old 01-07-2006, 09:47 AM
v7n Mentor

not sure how many people check it, maybe it is just me right now, hopefully that will change

Old 01-07-2006, 12:53 PM
v7n Mentor

I check it, but it seems like so many of them are still considered "active". Plus I don't know what what I want done is worth.

Old 03-20-2006, 02:38 AM

Unhappy rentacoder.com is a fraud

Hi,
My name is Amir Ali Tayyab and I was operating as "aatayyab" on www.rentacoder.com as a member only for two months with top10 ratings there by my 5 projects within that short span. And then I was struck with a bad surprise by a non-professional buyer, unfair arbitration by a rentacoder.com arbitrator and owner of www.rentacoder.com in my last project where I suffered these losses;

1. they confiscated my rightful money to be paid by the buyer and returned it back to him. The buyer name is Mr.Terence Brown and he was operating as "safrica2" buyer on www.rentacoder.com . This buyer had 10 arbitrations out of his total 40 which he always won with 10 different coders. Hence a sense of favorism towards buyers is clearly visible and this buyer always used such an unfair favorism to deceive and rip off many coders of their rightful money like myself and run away with completed projects under the protection of "deceptive" existence of fraudulent internet websites like www.rentacoder.com

2. they appointed an arbitrator to resolve my issue with the buyer, but he took sides of the buyer and turned down all of my requests for professional testing/arbitration.

3. they rated me as MINUS THREE on their website in that specific project and;

4. they deducted money from my own account as a penalty

5. they issued me warnings to withhold my own money left in my account if i did not stop pursuing it legally.

I protested all this to owner but he too took unfair side of his arbitrator and the buyer. Before signing up with rentacoder.com, I was deceived into believing them due to their display of memberships by www.BBB.org and www.SquareTrade.com . Now, I have started the complaint process not only at these websites but with all legal authorities of their territories and warning general public against using such a deceptive website.

I am based in Pakistan and I was ripped off my rightful money by these persons and website via internet who are located in USA.

I will keep you all posted about the developments taking place to prosecute such internet fraud. I have met a few of the coders who feel the same way and I plan to gather all such evidence and legally fighting such fraudulent websites or persons. I have all the emails and project data online at http://rentacoderfraud.bravehost.com and attached herewith for your detailed review.

Amir Ali Tayyab
e-Marketer & Writer since 1987

Office: 49-MZ, Central Plaza, Garden Town, Lahore 54600, Pakistan
Home: 212-15-B1, Township, Lahore, Pakistan
Phone: 92-303-6407086, 92-42-5846574 and 5846575
Fax: 1-702-977-9126
E-Mail: aatayyab@yahoo.com

Old 03-20-2006, 02:56 AM
Super Moderator

I have took the time to read your gripes with them on the link you provided and it seems legitemate enough.

Sorry to hear that dude.

Old 03-20-2006, 06:55 AM
Contributing Member

I'm a coder and I read the v7n marketplace daily

I know there are quite a few other talented folks here like immo etc.

Old 03-20-2006, 07:04 AM

I used a coder once on rentacoder.com, I got a final product that was half done, and I had to install about 20 libraries just to get it work.

Of couse, rentacoder did nothing about them. They suck imo, no accountability.

Old 03-22-2006, 09:18 AM
Contributing Member

As a programmer:
My time is much more valuable finding projects on my own. There are some fair priced project on there, but the majority I find are way underpriced and your time is better spent elsewhere.

As a contractor:
You can find great prices for subcontractors here, but at a major hit in quality. Again, there are fair contractors on there, but it's very over-populated with quantity oriented programmers, not quality oriented. I've outsourced to people on here as consultants for other companies, and I don't remember actually keeping what we paid for.

I haven't had any extreme bad situations, nor have I had good encounters. It's just not consistent enough for my standards... You're better off finding some quality people to use all the time, or buy them out of their current situation and hire them yourself on staff.

Old 05-03-2006, 01:13 PM

You can also try http://www.thesoftwareobjects.com

Old 05-29-2006, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Zant
I used a coder once on rentacoder.com, I got a final product that was half done, and I had to install about 20 libraries just to get it work.
1. Why did you accept "half done" work?
2. This is a quote from RentACoder's standard deliverable rule:
"3) All deliverables will be considered "work made for hire" under U.S. Copyright law. Buyer will receive exclusive and complete copyrights to all work purchased. (No GPL, GNU, 3rd party components, etc. unless all copyright ramifications are explained AND AGREED TO by the buyer on the site per the coder's Seller Legal Agreement)."

I think your coder didn't explain you anything about "20 libraries".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Van Zant
Of couse, rentacoder did nothing about them. They suck imo, no accountability.
Nothing about "of course". RentACoder has an arbitration system. All you need's - ask about arbitration before you accept coder's work. For example:

(Arbitration/mediation result):
CoderNickName (the seller) agreed in their Seller Contract to upload all deliverables to the site by the deadline or they would forfeit the project. CoderNickName did not do so. All funds in escrow were returned to BuyerNickName (the buyer).

It seems to me that you had accepted coder's work before you tested it.

Old 05-30-2006, 09:26 PM

I have a buddy who is a coder and who has done work for people that found him via there.

Old 05-30-2006, 09:46 PM
Banned

I don't use rentacoder at all. I have my own site that I can use for that purpose.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:10 PM

I use rentacoder.com

I use rentacoder.com all of the time as both a buyer of programming and a seller.

You couldnt ask for a better place to work. I pick the jobs I want and if it takes something that I cannot do, like someone wants a fancy skin, I hire someoen else to do that part. I work when I want and charge what I want. Sometimes I take jobs, then hire them back out to people I have worked with for a lower amount, then pocket the difference :-)

It is not all roses though. You had better know how the system works, read the terms carefully otherwise you could get yourself in trouble. If you are hiring coders or selling coding service you want to check out the rent a coder guide at http://rent-a-coder.y3s.net
It really helped me figure out what buyers expected and what I needed to say in the bid to get bids and not be passed over for Indian coders offering to do a $500 job for only $50. Now I get picked over them.

Elance is also good if you are a writer, voice, video person.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum