Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Share |
Old 01-31-2011, 07:38 PM
Contributing Member

H1 Tag Problem!

hello V7 I have run tests on different sites of mine and all of them are having issues with H1 headings. Is this important? and how do I properly add them if it is needed.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-31-2011, 09:12 PM
v7n Mentor

What kinds of issues with H1 headers? H1s are very good for SEO purposes.

Old 02-01-2011, 09:13 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by -10 View Post
What kinds of issues with H1 headers? H1s are very good for SEO purposes.
Yes so I have heard, from the test I ran at aboutus.org it seemed like my blog did not have H1 tags. What would be the best place to put them in my blogs code and do you have an example of some?

Old 02-01-2011, 10:06 AM

your blog dont have it? which software and the version you are using ? ?

Old 02-01-2011, 10:25 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

I manually put the H1 tages on my homepage but somehow they are on all 6 posts i show on the homepage so i have multiple H1 tags now on the homepage. It's not good according to aboutus but it's not super bad.

I wish there is a plugin to do this or included in one of the SEO plugins there are for wordpress.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:21 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snakeair View Post
I manually put the H1 tages on my homepage but somehow they are on all 6 posts i show on the homepage so i have multiple H1 tags now on the homepage. It's not good according to aboutus but it's not super bad.

I wish there is a plugin to do this or included in one of the SEO plugins there are for wordpress.
Or learn to use code view.

Your theme should be set up with the heading tags around the post titles in the programming/coding of index.php and the rest.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:47 AM
Contributing Member

H1 tags are important as search engines gives special preference to H1 tagged keyword.

Old 02-02-2011, 03:51 AM
Banned

HTMLBasicTutor thanks a lot.................

Old 02-02-2011, 06:00 AM
Contributing Member

Hmm well I check out my code and it looks like I have H2 and H3 where should I add H1 tags on this blog: totallyhowto.com?

Old 02-02-2011, 11:58 AM
Administrator

There should only be 1 set of H1 tags on a page to give proper heading structure.
Quote:
Heading hierarchy on a web page is little hard for some to understand. In this article, we’ll try to clear up the confusion by comparing heading hierarchy in a web document with how you use headings in a printed document.

In web page coding there are heading tags H1 through H6 available to format the headings in the web page. H1 is the largest, H6 is the smallest. Just like an article printed on a piece of paper, the default size of the heading represents the importance of the heading. These sets of HTML tags are meant to define headings in the page, not to format just any text on the page.

Let’s take a different approach to understanding the heading hierarchy in a web page. People usually use a book as an example, but we’ll use a one or two page document you are writing for, say, a school assignment or a report at work.
Heading Hierarchy

Old 02-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Contributing Member

I find it hard to beleive that google would simple rely on webmasters to use to correct header tags, giventhat fact that it's possible to completely change the look of these header tags.. I would have thought that at this day in age google would actually give promincen to actual titles.. (text that is distinguishably larger and more prominent on the page). Rather than take <h1> tags at face value.

A lot of the <h1> tag suggestions seem to be a relic of the 2006 era of seo, and there hasn't been any tests that I've come across recently which does a split test on a page with "correct header tags" and then "without correct header tags" to test the difference.

Old 02-05-2011, 04:33 PM
v7n Mentor

H1 and other tags have roots in written texts. Understanding the roots in written texts are important when it comes to your website, SEO, ranking, and usability by not only regular visitors, but also visitors with disabilities. The way I choose to view h tagging is from a printed book standpoint. A page should normally only ever have 1 to 2 h1 tags. Those are your main topics. Think of them like chapter headings in a book. In a section of the page, under any particular H1, your subtopics get h2, h3, h4, etc. That's my most simplistic explanation of h tagging related to page layout.

In all honesty, it has great value for page structure and SEO benefits. After all, when you think about it, everything online has a basis in print form. The ability to understand print layout structure is highly beneficial when it comes to site design, layout, and SEO.

Just my two cents. Hope it helps.

Old 02-05-2011, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator - Rest in Peace 2018

I just screwed up my blog few hours ago trying to change some tags around and got it fixed but it's still messed up. Just had to walk away before i toss my iphone across the room because people are texting me.

Darn h1 tags

Old 02-05-2011, 10:31 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyonlinesorg View Post
H1 and other tags have roots in written texts. Understanding the roots in written texts are important when it comes to your website, SEO, ranking, and usability by not only regular visitors, but also visitors with disabilities. The way I choose to view h tagging is from a printed book standpoint. A page should normally only ever have 1 to 2 h1 tags. Those are your main topics. Think of them like chapter headings in a book. In a section of the page, under any particular H1, your subtopics get h2, h3, h4, etc. That's my most simplistic explanation of h tagging related to page layout.

In all honesty, it has great value for page structure and SEO benefits. After all, when you think about it, everything online has a basis in print form. The ability to understand print layout structure is highly beneficial when it comes to site design, layout, and SEO.

Just my two cents. Hope it helps.
Completely agree with that, I have been using heading 1, heading 2 etc tag in MS word long before I got into html.

Main reason why it's important to have the correct header tags is for generation the table of contents on a long document.

If you use the rong header tag it will ruin the table of contents in a way that messes up the table structure.

To be honest, I don't really spend as much effort on "designing for the blind" as I should, but i figure with rss that must be a lot easier.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum