Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Share |
Old 03-01-2011, 11:50 AM

Protection against flood attacks

I know someone who has gotten flood attacks in the past week. He has a PR2 blog, ranked at about 500,000 in Alexa.

The hosting provider is banning IPís but they just keep coming. He has shared hosting. Before his blog consumed 1% of the bandwidth, now itís up to 15%. If things keep going this way, heíll have to upgrade his hosting service.

I would appreciate any advice on this. Has anyone ever experienced something similar?

What I donít understand is why? I donít think he has upset anyone. And the floods come from somewhere in Iraq.

By the way, if this isnít the place for this thread, I ask a moderator to move it to its proper board.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-01-2011, 12:16 PM
Coding Tiger

they are just script kiddies, you don't have to upset them to do what they do, for them is fun

I don't really know how can you prevent from this, except from making a long request for the pages that get the most hits:
PHP Code:
   //! give server some time(ex: 7 seconds) before starting to respond to the request

sleep(7); 
I'd put this in pages that have forms on them such as contact/search page, so after the form is submitted the server will wait for 7 seconds and then will start processing the post request.

Of course, 7 seconds is quite a very long time to make a genuine user wait so you'll have to decrease that value(ex: 2 or 3 seconds is much more acceptable) if you're going to use it.

I'll google for it, maybe I can find something more useful than this

Old 03-01-2011, 08:16 PM
v7n Mentor

I'd absolutely not recommend delaying the load time for valid users, making load time as low as possible is something to strive after in all cases.

First of all, try to work with the host to identify what kind of attack is occurring - is it pingflooding or actual, programmed pageloads. If so, what kind of headers (user agent etc.) are being sent? Can you identify something special (non-legit) that can let you single out the attacker and drop the requests?

If it's pingfloods, just ask the host to alter their firewall rules to only allow n pings per minute, or perhaps temporarily blacklist a unique request source if it sends unnaturally large amounts of requests.

Hope you'll be able to solve it in a clean fashion!

Old 03-02-2011, 01:38 PM

Thank you both for the response. I'll pass your suggestions to him so that he may speak with the hosting guy about them.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:44 PM
Coding Tiger

This is not my field of expertise, so I can't actually give a proper advice, but from what I've read while searching for a good link to give you as a reference the only thing I can say is that the only one who can actually help in this situation is the host...you as a site owner can't do much...

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum