Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Share |
Old 05-01-2011, 02:19 PM
Contributing Member

wordpress loading time help

hey guys and gals

I guess im looking for some feedback on load time on my directory site, as im on the server its hard for me to get a correct user feel.

according to websiteoptimization.com

The Total Size is: 246675 bytes
Load Time on ISDN is: 33.46 seconds - OUCH!

A little server info:
SYS Specs: Intel Core Quad CPU Q8300 @2.5 | 8GB RAM
IIS7
PHP Ver 5.3.6
MYSQL Server version: 5.1.56-community
Connection speed- 100M Down 10MB UP

Im using directory press, but omg look at what the load time and size of the script seems to be...

If i could get a few peeps to just load a page and let me know how long it really takes, and if it doesnt take 33 seconds why does the above say it does and is there anything i can do code wize or server side to correct this.

site URL dir.vancouverclassifieds.org

THANKS

PS. I hope its not a long wait for you lol

Last edited by richardvan1; 05-01-2011 at 02:27 PM.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-01-2011, 11:57 PM
v7n Mentor

Took about a second for me.

That site should stop using ISDN for measuring, first of all because "ISDN" could be quite a few different speeds depending on number of channels, and secondly because it was replaced by DSL/cable/whatever 10 years ago. Don't pay much attention to it.

On the other hand, optimizing for speed is always a good thing, so whether it takes 1 second or 33 seconds you should still do whatever you can, within reasonable limits, to make it even faster. First step for me would be to migrate to a Linux/BSD server with Apache or nginx and then activate proper caching, lower number of requests and cut down on superfluous code.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:05 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks for checking it out, i did activate IIS7 kernel Caching which seems to have increased the speed allot..

If this wasn't my only PC I would be running Linux but i do need to use it on a daily basis and unfortunately this world has not moved to the LinuxVerse.

Hate to say it but i need my windows apps lol.

As far as cutting down the code. im not to sure where to start as its all plugin driven.
for example the back end has options for how the cats on the front page are displayed, do u want to show the top cats or top cats with all supcats.

Im sure the size is due to the fact when you go to the site it loads not only the HTML but the JS that contains all those options even though your only using 1 option not all.

I'm not that familiar with JS to start playing with it myself. I think, sorry i know i will break it..

anyone wanna help me thin this code down?

maybe teach me a thing or 2.

Secondly I removed my PIWIK tracking as for some reason theirs a bug when using it with word press. it added almost 2-3 seconds to the loading time of the site.
according to piwiks website this is a known issue and should be resolved in the next release.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum