Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Share |
Old 08-13-2011, 01:07 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Need Script To Change Mail Port 25 To Another Port

I need a script to change the port 25 to another port such as 486, 95 etc. Does anyone have a script or can anyone tell me where to find one.

Thanks

Old 08-13-2011, 10:48 PM
Latest Blog:
None

Exclamation

There's no script that does this for you.

You have to edit conf files for mysql to be changed.

Change mysql port on a linux box.http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/change-...der-linuxunix/
Change mysql port on a windows box. http://support.jodohost.com/showpost...35&postcount=2

You will also have to remember to connect to that port when connecting to mysql through php.

PHP Code:
<?php
// we connect to localhost at port 3307
$link mysql_connect('127.0.0.1:3307''mysql_user''mysql_password');
if (!
$link) {
    die(
'Could not connect: ' mysql_error());
}
echo 
'Connected successfully';
mysql_close($link);
?>

Last edited by snakeair; 08-14-2011 at 06:33 AM. Reason: URL shortner not allowed

Old 08-14-2011, 10:11 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

Thank You for the information. Here is what I am doing : I am building software that will allow people to send 5,000 emails per day and I need to change the default port in order to accompolish this task. I am not sure if this will work for this. But will give it a go. Do you have any idea if it will or not? Thanks Again

Old 08-15-2011, 09:47 AM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

I think EquityPHP's code will help you with connecting to a different MySQL port, not mail port. We do probably need slightly more information, mymoney26. I'm no export on SMTP servers or anything, but what are you using to send mail in PHP? Are you using the PHP mail function or maybe the PHPMailer classes?

Also, are you using sendmail or postfix or some other server? Is SMTP Authentication required? If you're using Windows, you may even be able to edit the php.ini file and change the smtp_port (default 25) directive.

There's a lot involved in sending email from a webserver, a lot more than I think most people realize if you're not on a shared host. Still, try to answer some of these questions and maybe we can help you further.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Contributing Member
Latest Blog:
None

It depends on what SMTP server you're using, since that's where you have to make the change. If you're sending the email to someone else's SMTP server, like your provider's, you can't change the port, you have to use the port their server is listening on.

If you're using your own SMTP server, change the port it listens on. (How you do that depends on the server, but it's either a change in a config file or a change in the server's code.)

I think you have to learn a little more about how TCP works before you can get to the point that you can understand what your question means.

BTW, regardless of the port the server listens on, the email goes out the same way, and to the same port. If you're trying to bypass spam-blocking, changing ports isn't going to do it. Sending email to a different port on the receiving server is like trying to call me by dialing your phone number - it won't work.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum