Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Share |
Old 11-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Contributing Member

Exclamation File of the full DB backup

I set this code as a cron job

Code:
mysqldump --opt -Q -u USERNAME --password=PASSWORD --all-databases | gzip > /home/site/public_html/folder/folder2/once_a_day_all_databases.gz
and this creates a file in the folder but in that file there is only one file which doesnt have any format. So when i want to import this file which should have 3 dabatases in it, how am i gonna import it?

Should i convert the format to sql and dump it all into one db?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-03-2011, 11:55 PM
v7n Mentor

The --all-databases flag makes mysqldump do just that; output all database information at once, meaning it all ends up in one file. If you want them separated, you had better create a script that runs mysqldump for each database individually. The output from mysqldump is plaintext, so purely technically you won't need to do anything with the extracted file. If you want to load that data back into your installed database, all you need to do is:
Code:
mysql -u USERNAME -p PASSWORD < your-backup-file
If you check the file in a text editor, you should see commands like CREATE DATABASE /*!32312 IF NOT EXISTS*/ `database_name`, as well as DROP TABLE IF EXISTS `table_name`.

Thus, if the database does not already exist it will be created, and if the tables already exist, they will be cleared out before the backed up data is inserted.

Last edited by cbsmth; 11-03-2011 at 11:55 PM. Reason: Typo

Old 11-04-2011, 12:06 AM
Contributing Member

So i dont have to change the format of the file. I can just keep it as no format. But i use shared server. So i where am i gonna run this command at?
mysql -u USERNAME -p PASSWORD < your-backup-file

Old 11-04-2011, 01:07 AM
v7n Mentor

If you're using software such as phpMyAdmin, there should an option to upload a file as input.

If for any reason the interface doesn't take files without extensions as valid input, all you need to do is to rename the file to filename.sql.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

The only place to upload a file is the one to import the sql into the db and that one doesnt accept any format other than compressed sql to be upload. So can you please explain mroe about how to import all the dbs at once?

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum