Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Share |
Old 12-09-2011, 05:46 PM
v7n Mentor

Messy CSS rules order?

A newbie question, here goes:

Can an incorrect order of the css rules influence entire website performance?

I'm asking because of some alterations which I've made at my website, and among other things I added a wrapper around a preexisting wrapper to achieve more space. Now, other rules don't have that new div tag, but are working properly. Should I change them all accordingly? I mean is css rules order relevant at all?

Last edited by kju385; 12-09-2011 at 05:56 PM. Reason: forgot something...

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-09-2011, 06:53 PM
Administrator

Yes the order of your rules in your CSS file can mess things up if not in the right order.

The CSS file(s) are:
  • Read and applied in the order they are read in the head section of your pages if you have more than one CSS file linked.
  • Each CSS file is read from top to bottom and styles are applied in that order.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:50 PM

Specificity, Inherince and Cascading effects also apply to css.
Means some style property already defined at the top will add with the one define at the bottom. Some will overwrite. Some will get ignored.

Eg,
HTML Code:
<style> <style> #green {color:green;} .blue {color: blue;} div {color: red;} </style> <div>hiii</div> <div class="blue">bii</div> <div id="green" class="blue"> hello</div>
I the above style red will not be able to overwrite blue since it more specific.
And green is again much more secific as compared to blue. So it overwrites others.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:45 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
Yes the order of your rules in your CSS file can mess things up if not in the right order.

The CSS file(s) are:
  • Read and applied in the order they are read in the head section of your pages if you have more than one CSS file linked.
  • Each CSS file is read from top to bottom and styles are applied in that order.
I knew there had to be a catch somewhere... In the last two days I combined the original two css files into one layout.css file and corrected all the "old" rules with an appropriate name. Now, pretty much everything should run more smoothly

Thanks for the input

Old 12-11-2011, 10:03 AM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpertsGuide View Post
Specificity, Inherince and Cascading effects also apply to css.
Means some style property already defined at the top will add with the one define at the bottom. Some will overwrite. Some will get ignored.

I the above style red will not be able to overwrite blue since it more specific.
And green is again much more secific as compared to blue. So it overwrites others.
Due to the nature of the site in question, I needed several different styles to distinguish data. As a result, most of my styles are specific with only a few general style rules. I understand the basics of the overwriting effects, you gave a very nice example

Since it was my first website, I mostly designed it through improvisation neglecting the rules order entirely. "Oh, I could add this in header. The footer looks too dark, another css to fix it. Now let's play with a center table style. Back to footer rules... etc." You get the point

Does the rule order from top to bottom also apply when the styles are meant for the same div, just for another property?

i.e.
#wrapper #leftArea a
#wrapper #leftArea a:active
#wrapper #leftArea a:visited
#wrapper #leftArea a:hover

Old 12-13-2011, 05:34 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kju385 View Post
Does the rule order from top to bottom also apply when the styles are meant for the same div, just for another property?
yes, the style declaration at the bottom will be implemented..

Quote:
Originally Posted by kju385 View Post
i.e.
#wrapper #leftArea a
#wrapper #leftArea a:active
#wrapper #leftArea a:visited
#wrapper #leftArea a:hover
now about this one, it will not overwrite the style because the styles will be shown when the event is triggered..

Old 12-13-2011, 07:22 PM
v7n Mentor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyS View Post
yes, the style declaration at the bottom will be implemented..
Well, I managed to sort everything out so it should work fine now. It's really was not that complicated code but it was all mixed up. Even found a few errors that slipped me the first time. I'm satisfied with the general site performance currently

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyS View Post
now about this one, it will not overwrite the style because the styles will be shown when the event is triggered..
I see. Anyway, thanks everyone for having patience with newbie questions. You've earned your rep points

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum