Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Share |
Old 03-02-2012, 05:46 PM
Contributing Member

Sitemap help

Hi guys,
Clueless Graeme here again...don't even know if this is the right place for this topic.
A few people keep telling me I have no sitemap on my website but I have not got a clue what a sitemap is or how to do one...was wondering if anyone would be able to help me?

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 06:00 PM
Administrator

It depends on who is speaking to you as to what they mean.

An HTML site map (note spelling) is a page on your site which acts as a directory to all the pages on your site (or at least the main ones if your site is large). An HTML site map can be used by humans and all search engine bots to get around your site. The HTML site map is readable by all. It has a usability advantage for those who want to get somewhere quick on your site or for those who are lost. It has a SEO advantage as any bot cruising the net can read it and follow the links to your inner pages.

A Sitemap (note spelling) is an XML document that only certain bots can read. The major players (Google, Yahoo! and Bing) suggest you include but (and this is a big but that SEOs who insist you have one ignore) including a Sitemap does not guarantee indexing of your pages included in the Sitemap. It is just a helper to let them know they are there. Sitemap.org is sponsored by the big three. You can read up on this at Sitemap.org or check each of the big three to double check.

Quote:
Which Should I do First? A Sitemap or a Site Map?
The site map! Its the easiest to do and provides the most initial benefits: accessiblity, search engine optimization and usability.

But everyone says to do a Sitemap!

Well, even Matt Cutts, Google Spam Department Engineer says to do your site map first:
Should I Create a Sitemap or HTML Site Map?

Now as far as creating an HTML site map goes, it is done just like any other page on your site. Your ecommerce software might have the option to create one for you on the fly or maybe you need a plugin (but be sure it's for the HTML site map).

Old 03-03-2012, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

A sitemap is something needed for example to index your website though the Google Webmaster Tools. There is a lot of automatic sitemap generators all over the net to which you have to simply include your URL and they do the job for you.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDany View Post
A sitemap is something needed for example to index your website though the Google Webmaster Tools. There is a lot of automatic sitemap generators all over the net to which you have to simply include your URL and they do the job for you.
Just wondering, did you read the whole thread before replying?

Old 03-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Contributing Member

The size of your site will dictate your implementation of a sitemap.

If you site structure doesn't change much then you could get away with building a sitemap by hand. If however you have tons of pages and you are adding pages often then I would go the automated approach.

Here is a google explanation of a sitemap
http://support.google.com/webmasters...&answer=156184

High level, it is an xml file that should list all the pages on the site. This sitemap.xml should be then submitted to the search engines (google webmaster tools has a submission).

They will utilize this map to insure they hit all the pages on the site.

To make it automated, it is pretty easy as long as you know a scripting language. You just pull the information out of the database and build the xml needed for the sitemap on request.

This site shows you what the xml should look like:
http://www.siteground.com/tutorials/...ap_example.htm

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum