Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Share |
Old 02-10-2013, 09:01 AM
Contributing Member

How to Add Quote / Multi-Quote Functionality in Post of Forum Site

I am developing a forum site. In each Forum site, Each Post has a Quote and Multi-Quote button in its bottom. I want to know how can I develop Quote and Multi-Quote Button. What is the logic behind that. Is there any tutorial about that. Please guide me briefly.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-10-2013, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member

From all those free forum boards online, why would you develop your own forum script?
Can't you get the code from existing scripts?

Old 02-10-2013, 09:10 AM
Super Moderator

Your sentence structure is a bit confusing to me and I suspect to others as well. Since you asked this in the coding forum and not the graphics forum I think you want some direction on the coding part.

I might be able to give some small guidance on the single quote patt but would be more lost than you on the multi part.

I will wait for your reply.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:55 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
Your sentence structure is a bit confusing to me and I suspect to others as well. Since you asked this in the coding forum and not the graphics forum I think you want some direction on the coding part.

I might be able to give some small guidance on the single quote patt but would be more lost than you on the multi part.

I will wait for your reply.
I want to Learn the PHP Coding behind that Quote and Multi-Quote button and also the database design for that.

Old 02-11-2013, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

You raised my curiosity level so I did a little digging and then its your ball to run with. What you are trying to do for a single quote is just an expanded version of what I am doing with my comment section in my sig link. I am not choosing to quote the message but I do link to it using this exact method.

Your current script as written is displaying the body portion of the message on the view post page . We will call that body for this example. You may be using echo or print. You may be using either of the following methods to display that data.
PHP Code:
echo $row['body'];

or 

$body=$row['body'];
  echo 
$body
The first method is a straight read from the DB. In the second that read was converted to a variable that can be used anywhere within this script and avoid those undefined variable warnings (5.4 STRICT). I prefer to convert the data as pulled so I can use it anywhere without worries about corruption.

Now all you need to do is post that $body variable to the post reply form and add whatever tags like that you desire. A hidden field on the posting form does this and any other data like username or id that you desire to include.

I would assume that a multi-quote would just send multiple bodies and name to the next script or script section.

I knew I would structure it as said above. Since I have to have an well known BB test set of scripts on my machine I took a look at the DB structure. The method is the same the quoted text becomes part of the post body for the new post. This is a direct copy from the table row with selected data, (*** ) edited for privacy.

PHP Code:
[quote='*****' pid='5' dateline='1360112662']
Thought you might enjoy this.

[
video=youtube]http://youtu.be/*********[/video]
[/quote]

That is mighty cute.  Think we should drown it now

So no magic going on. Just information posted from one place to another.

This should entertain you for weeks.

Old 02-11-2013, 10:38 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScriptMan View Post
You raised my curiosity level so I did a little digging and then its your ball to run with. What you are trying to do for a single quote is just an expanded version of what I am doing with my comment section in my sig link. I am not choosing to quote the message but I do link to it using this exact method.

Your current script as written is displaying the body portion of the message on the view post page . We will call that body for this example. You may be using echo or print. You may be using either of the following methods to display that data.
PHP Code:
echo $row['body'];

or 

$body=$row['body'];
  echo 
$body
The first method is a straight read from the DB. In the second that read was converted to a variable that can be used anywhere within this script and avoid those undefined variable warnings (5.4 STRICT). I prefer to convert the data as pulled so I can use it anywhere without worries about corruption.

Now all you need to do is post that $body variable to the post reply form and add whatever tags like that you desire. A hidden field on the posting form does this and any other data like username or id that you desire to include.

I would assume that a multi-quote would just send multiple bodies and name to the next script or script section.

I knew I would structure it as said above. Since I have to have an well known BB test set of scripts on my machine I took a look at the DB structure. The method is the same the quoted text becomes part of the post body for the new post. This is a direct copy from the table row with selected data, (*** ) edited for privacy.

PHP Code:

That is mighty cute
.  Think we should drown it now

So no magic going on. Just information posted from one place to another.

This should entertain you for weeks.
Thanks for answering. I have understood your concept. But this raises one question. If that Quoted Post Becomes the Part of the Reply and It also stored in the database as the part of the Reply, So will it not create the duplicated data.

Old 02-11-2013, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Yes. The quoted part is duplicated but it is almost always text and text does not use a lot of room.

I don't think it would be considered duplicate content for SE purposes because it is defined as a quote within the body of a new post.

The other option of trying to include with some form of join statement would be very difficult because quotes often do not included the entire older post. I really can't see that method working at all.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum