Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Share |
Old 05-17-2013, 06:21 PM

redirect.ar virus in code in website

Yesterday I got an email from a woman (I researched her email address which was a .gov and found that her name matched and she was legit) who was surfing at work ( a .gov) and said that when she went to my site, she was redirected to a malicious site instead. She was going to buy from me, but now she is afraid to. The IT tech where she works sent her this note:
Quote:
" McAfee logs show that you recently generated an alert for a virus called JS/Redirector.ar. It occurred because you went (perhaps unknowingly redirected) to a malicious site. Iím trying to figure out how you got to the malicious site. Human error, or malicious redirection?

I'm not too interested in where you were actually trying to go. What I really care about is how you ended up going to the malicious site. What did you click on, or what links did you follow that took you to the page where the alert occurred? Was it human error (i.e. you just typed in the wrong address)? Or did someone send you the link? Or did you search for something and thatís the result you clicked on? Or did you click on a link in a different web page that took you there? "
I spent all night (or until after 4 in the morning) trying to find where this code could be on my site which I though may have been hacked. I couldn't find it. (By the way, I found the woman's phone, got her phone message and left her one and she emailed me back). She said one page was: http://www.clunygreyjewelry.com/briolette-jewelry.html .
I searched that page: nothing. I downloaded the code into my computer and ran Mcafee on my computer: nothing. I'm wondering if she has a virus (say the Google redirect code) on her computer. Google Webmaster has not sent me any alerts and I still have the green check certifying a safe site, and I don't have a problem when I click on my site.
Could it be that she has the virus on her (government) computer? could I have overlooked the nefarious code?
Any comments would be helpful.
Thank you,
Cluny

Last edited by J. H. Rasmussen; 05-18-2013 at 03:21 AM. Reason: Removed live part of one link

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-17-2013, 07:04 PM
Administrator

I have AVG on one machine here. Visited the page in question and it did not have a hissy fit so that would indicate to me everything is ok. AVG does give false positives sometimes as do other antivirus programs.

Here is McAfee's site advisor page: http://www.siteadvisor.com/sites/htt...e-jewelry.html You come up clean.

I found this link you can test yourself https://www.virustotal.com/en/#url You come up clean. You also come up clean at AVG's page test/reporting page

Looked at your code and didn't find anything.

Sooo,
Her IT department should scan her computer to check for viruses etc. Plus she should explain her path to your page.

Last edited by HTMLBasicTutor; 05-17-2013 at 07:16 PM.

Old 05-17-2013, 07:14 PM

Thanks so much! Since she surfs the net at work on her computer, I'm thinking the server may have a problem or maybe her specific computer does.
Thank you for running this through checks for me; this is such a relief!
Thank you again,
Cluny

Old 05-18-2013, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator

I don't think you caught an important part of what HTML said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTMLBasicTutor View Post
. Plus she should explain her path to your page.
Some of this malicious code sleeps through a set number of page loads or site loads before it takes any action. The woman's problem may have started at a previous site.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:36 AM

So are you saying my site could be the problem? I'm not worried about her computer since she has IT help in-house at work. I just wanted to make sure that my site had nothing wrong with it.
I really don't know her path to my site; she did say that she got this from several pages on my site, but only cited one.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

No. I am saying it is entirely possible that she picked it up elsewhere and it did not do its thing until she loaded a few of you site pages.

Like HTML, I just went to your site and hit about 6 random pages with zero problems. I don't even see ads which can sometimes load these things. I am not saying you are 100% safe, no one ever can, but I would not worry about it unless you get more complaints.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:25 AM

Thank you, Scriptman, for loading some of my pages and reporting back. I really appreciate that and your taking the time to do it.
Cluny

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum