Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Closed Thread

Share |
Old 11-28-2014, 07:03 AM
Contributing Member

It depends on your software
C# is better for developing Windows applications

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-18-2014, 03:35 AM

Language is not the important thing - to talk with people about your software, troubleshooting, software design, software development, learn to program. Language is not only the syntax and grammar.

Old 12-18-2014, 04:10 AM
Contributing Member

While learning a programming language, a programmer should also understand the importance of Software project management, life cycle of Software, CRM, Quality Testing.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:16 PM
Contributing Member

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by kontrol View Post
this might not be the right forum for this question but pls pardon me, i don't want to signup at too many places.

i want to go into software developing but am a bit confused as to which language best suites my needs.
i considered the following but i think expert knowledge will help too.

visual basic
C#
java
python

i have plans to build software that can connect to the internet, browse through content, make purchases, download and store and retrieve info.
First of all your product is related with web development, where you can retrieve your data from server through the internet. Right now web development programming are .net(c#) , java and php are the best . but programming concept is also important , based on your programming concept and interest choose one of them .

Old 01-13-2015, 06:04 PM

My first respond would be to ask you -- what do you want to build?

In simple terms, you can build

- web application and websites
- desktop software for Mac, Windows or Linux
- mobile application for iOS, Android

Having said that, one time I wrote on my Facebook, Javascript has to be one of the most versatile programming language. Why? Because with Javascript, you can develop for mobile, web and desktop. Though, on mobile and desktop, there might be some limitations and performance issues.

But being able to use Javascript to develop for web, mobile and desktop, here's my explanation.

Desktop - Write in Javascript/HTML/CSS and use Node-Webkit or Brackets Shell to package your app into Windows, Mac.

Mobile - Write in Javascript/HTML/CSS and use Phonegap to package your app for Android, iOS, Windows, etc

Web - NodeJS and Meteor are web servers that uses Javascript as main programming language. They are not only web servers, they are also a real-time web application platform good for developing apps like chats, stock price ticker, etc...

Having said all that, I am not really a pro with Javascript. My main thing is PHP. But I have done Desktop app and Mobile app using the methods above. NodeJS and Meteor, I got a crash course from a friend but haven't really used it.

Old 01-13-2015, 06:07 PM

Owh ... on another note, because your title said "What you need to know...", apart from the programming part, I would add:

- you need to know about designing database structures, normalization, taking advantage of the database that you like MySQL with indexing, procedures/functions, some DB admin

- you need to know about version control like Git or SVN. But most people use Git now and more and more repository and project management supports Git. If you know none right now, learn Git

Old 01-14-2015, 12:44 AM
Contributing Member

Hey kontrol,

You need to have hand on following -

1. C - As its the first initial step to move into programming.

2. learn object oriented programming language like C++

3. As you mentioned you want to develop web application so for that go with any languages like php,python,jave(Jse+Jee)

4. Client side technologies (Html,Css,Javascript,Jquery)

5. Mysql for your database.

Happy Coding!

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Closed Thread