Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Share |
Old 05-16-2014, 08:15 AM

Web page images not showing in Apple products

Hello,

I hope this question is in the correct section so here we go.

I have a web site and over the last 3 years since It was built by my indian developer there has been issues relating to images often not showing correctly on the screen, there will just be a box with a question mark in and no image.

It has been a ongoing problem for several years actually and even has the same issue in the admin section where we approve images, images will not show or 2 out of 6 images will fail to show, all there will be is a empty box and and question mark. Please see attached screen shots.

Now a little more on this. On a PC all images on site will show perfect using any browser including safari.

When it comes to viewing the site on apple products/ mac book/imac the images often fail to open , I can open the same page on three different i macs and each page will have different images not showing, sometimes worse than other days. Some days just a few do not show, some days many.

It cannot be a problem with any of my apple products as they are new and upto date, and also every other site I view or browse all images show for other sites, I have had the same issue on my site for 3 years, he has now just built a new version ready to upload and the site has the same problem in all Apple products.

Clearly he does not know what to do or has not the experience to solve this? Any tips or advise please?

Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-05-16 at 12.11.11.png
Views:	124
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	17975  

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-16-2014, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Can you check these:

1. Image file names do not have spaces.
This is caused by Windows allowing users to name things with spaces in the name. e.g. dog picture.jpg

Some web servers and browsers cannot understand the space therefore show what you have. Better file naming would be dog-picture.jpg

2. Once you sort out #1 make sure that the coding in the web page matches exactly with the file name. e.g. if one uses dog picture.jpg and the other uses dog-picture.jpg there could be problems.

Check those and if that does not solve the problem come back and we will think of some other ideas.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:08 AM

Thanks for that. My site is Bridesandlovers

So you think the fault is in his coding that is resulting in this happening? one day several images will not show, but the following day they will show and a selection of other images will not show. I have new images uploaded to the site each day by members either new sign ups or updating photos, so it would be hard to instruct all members to give their image file names?

I have not seen this on any other sites. I guess that is what you get using an offshore developer!

My main question here is this happening because of bad coding by my developer?

Old 05-16-2014, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Some of it could be .jpg vs .JPG. Like the spaces issue, an image with name.jpg and another version name.JPG can be 2 different images for the browser or web server. Everything has to match.

If you are going to allow people to upload their own images you have to have a standard for the extension. Your background coding needs to check this and convert as required.

Old 05-16-2014, 09:52 AM

Thanks!!

Thanks, I will pass the information on. Do you ever freelance

Old 05-16-2014, 10:21 AM

One more question!!

I have a last question on this issue, the same developer has recently started on some new sites for me. One very big problem I have loading the home pages I have to re - fresh the page 2/3 even four times sometimes to get all the images to show on the home page. The two screen attachments show what happens, I will open the page and the page will open semi completed with sections missing not until I have re fresher do I get the proper page.
Some times it will load so bad the whole page will appear in sections and it looks terrible. I never have this problem with any other web sites.

Again only on iOS devices.

Bad coding again??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-05-16 at 12.41.49.png
Views:	143
Size:	397.2 KB
ID:	17976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-05-16 at 12.42.22.png
Views:	230
Size:	412.3 KB
ID:	17977  

Old 05-16-2014, 12:47 PM
Administrator

It could be what I have already mentioned plus (these are and/ors ideas)

1. Images hosted on a CND server
CND server failed or very slow

2. Your server
Same as #1

3. The developer implemented caching and it isn't working well.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:01 PM

I am not up on the tech side of things, I have a dedicated server. All I know for 100% sure is every other site I look at on the net images are all fine and show well.

All my sites which the developer built images are showing crap. I have told the developer until I am blue in the face! the same answer always comes from him "They look fine on my PC" It is like speaking to a brick wall. He does not have any iOS products to check the issues with, however that is not my problem.

So poor quality coding and work is the main problem here?

I had the same problem two years ago even when the site was on a shared server. It has been an ongoing problem for three years, the guy has just built me a new site and once again it is the same. Not acceptable anymore.

Last edited by englishrussian; 05-16-2014 at 01:05 PM.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:48 PM

I don't have an apple to test with, but I just checked your homepage and some of the images have large file sizes - one was 129k (bad, but not too bad as long as there aren't several other large images or scripts on the same page), and one was over 500k (this is definitely too big). On a slower connection (user or server) the browser may time out before loading a bunch of huge images.

I ran your homepage through a site speed analyzer, and it didn't score well - you can see the results here http://gtmetrix.com/reports/bridesan...s.com/GtHsaExx Just fixing that one 500mb image might improve page load speed enough to get a better score though.

There may be other issues as HTML suggested but it would be hard to know without more info.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:33 PM

Images

The company that developed the site are in India, and to say the least over the last four years they have given me a diabolical service and appalling coding quality, I have had scores of duplicate pages show in Google these are work pages they forgot to delete just amongst other things, the security they offered the site was diabolical and after having the site checked over by some very experienced coders I was informed the coding of the site was not even unto school standards, so bad that no other firms wanted to touch it!

Could this again be the reason? Inexperienced coders and poor quality work?

It is what I have already come to the conclusion of.

As they say "You get what you pay for" A lesson we have already learnt.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:13 AM

I haven't looked at the code. That's a bit more time consuming than what I can spare right now. Maybe someone else will. But the fact that he used a 500mb image on the page indicates to me that he is either incompetent or he doesn't care, either way produces sloppy or bad work.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:44 AM

Images

What I do know is this:

1. All other web site images show perfect on my apple. So clearly not an issue with my computers.

2. Clearly it is no issue with my dedicated server, as I had the same issues on my shared server 18 months back, and before that I had the same issue on my first shared server, so three servers over the years and the same issue.

3. It is not a problem on Internet connection as I have lived in two different countries and several locations over the last few years.

This leaves one answer as far as I am concerned and that is sloppy coding by inexperienced personal. Because both my bigger sites created by this developer have the same issues on any Mac product.

Worse so even in the admin of the sites where we approve the images members have uploaded they are not showing correctly, so you can imagine the headache this has given me when we try to approve members images we cannot see.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-05-16 at 22.23.29.png
Views:	150
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	17978  

Old 05-17-2014, 10:41 AM

If you already know that the developer is producing bad code, what are you looking for from us? Proof?

I had a quick look at the code used to display a search result.

The images in a search result are displayed using this script, which I cannot access - image.php - this could be where the problem is, but I cannot be sure because I cannot see the code. Even if I could see the code, I may or may not be able to spot the problem quickly. My php skills are intermediate, and this is likely a complex script which would take more time to analyze than I can afford right now. Perhaps someone with more advanced php skills and/or more time would look at it for you.

The rest of the code does look sloppy, but I didn't inspect it well, just glanced over it. If I spent more time looking at the code, I suspect I would find lots of examples of bad or sloppy coding, but here's one example - this style tag was found in the body (style tags belong in the head - putting it in the body is very sloppy and lazy) :

Code:
<style type="text/css"> <!-- .style1 {color: #FFFFFF} --> </style>
There are also links to stylesheets within the body - again, sloppy and lazy, but I don't see how either of these examples could cause your problem. I think someone needs to look at image.php - if the developer was sloppy or lazy in the code I looked at, he was probably sloppy or lazy in image.php also.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:09 AM

Yes I agree with what you said, I have already seen the companies sloppy lazy code over the years. I have asked a few guys the same question and all have the same answer in general.

That is all I need really, Im not a tech person but trying to explain this issue to the developer is like beating your head against a wall. I think with this answer and several others I have it will be clear! Thanks.

I have already learnt "You get what you pay for"

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum