Webmaster Forum

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum

Coding Forum Problems with your code? Discuss coding issues, including JavaScript, PHP & MySQL, HTML & CSS, Flash & ActionScript, and more.

Share |
Old 09-04-2006, 03:26 AM

Making Divs to act like tables

Hi, Everybody.

Can anyone please help me with this css layout. I have tried all sorts of things to get this. But all in vein. Could some one help me pls.

I need to create a CSS based gallery. This is how the layout looks.

My main problem is if the height of first image box increases, the height of the other two boxes in same row also has to increase. im having problem only wehn im using rounded corners. Or else it is working fine.

Thanks and Regards
PG

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-04-2006, 01:56 PM

bump

(a mod should move this to the coding forum)

Old 09-09-2006, 11:53 AM
Contributing Member

It should be easy. You should use LI (list items) for the lists. As for the heights....you should fix height them. It can get ugly fast if you want these dynamic.

Old 09-13-2006, 02:12 PM
Contributing Member

I get this question very often.

CSS table-less designs do not advocate a complete lack of tables. Rather, they advocate semantic markup. The use of tables is fine, where tabular data is the content.

Can you explain the context in which you are using? Or provide an example?

Old 09-13-2006, 05:08 PM
Contributing Member

jwalsh is exactly right. Tables are fine. I only build css layouts, but I still use tables when it makes sense to. You want to stay away from tables to layout the entire structure of your page, but it's perfectly fine to use tables on specific pages.

I think what you have would be far easier with tables, but if I were to try css only I'm thinking that each row should be a div. That row div would contain 3 divs, one for each of your products. I would float each of those product divs to the left and use margins between them to create the space. I would also give them a height of 100% to make sure they expand to the height of the row div.

Then inside each product div I would float what I assume will be an image to the left and just let the text fall where it wants to so it remains within the normal document flow. If I'm not mistaken since that text remains in the flow it should then expand the div it's in as it grows, which should then also expand the div containing the whole row. Since the prodcut divs are all set to be 100% of the row div they should also expand.

I'm not entirely sure that would work since I'm only theorizing here and not actually working in the code, but I think it will do what you want if I'm understanf correct.

Again though it's perfectly fine to use tables for something like this and stll have a css layout for the page.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vangogh
jwalsh is exactly right. Tables are fine. I only build css layouts, but I still use tables when it makes sense to. You want to stay away from tables to layout the entire structure of your page, but it's perfectly fine to use tables on specific pages.

I think what you have would be far easier with tables, but if I were to try css only I'm thinking that each row should be a div. That row div would contain 3 divs, one for each of your products. I would float each of those product divs to the left and use margins between them to create the space. I would also give them a height of 100% to make sure they expand to the height of the row div.

Then inside each product div I would float what I assume will be an image to the left and just let the text fall where it wants to so it remains within the normal document flow. If I'm not mistaken since that text remains in the flow it should then expand the div it's in as it grows, which should then also expand the div containing the whole row. Since the prodcut divs are all set to be 100% of the row div they should also expand.

I'm not entirely sure that would work since I'm only theorizing here and not actually working in the code, but I think it will do what you want if I'm understanf correct.

Again though it's perfectly fine to use tables for something like this and stll have a css layout for the page.
Thank you guys for you help. I tried making each row a div, but still i couldnt get. Anyways im still trying to get it right.

Old 09-14-2006, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalsh
I get this question very often.

CSS table-less designs do not advocate a complete lack of tables. Rather, they advocate semantic markup. The use of tables is fine, where tabular data is the content.

Can you explain the context in which you are using? Or provide an example?
Thanks. Im trying to build this style of gallery for my personal website. And i want to use only DIVs in the entire site. So i just wanted to give it try.

Go Back   Webmaster Forum > Web Development > Coding Forum